LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Premium Window Tint on LS460 - Formula One Pinnacle

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-16 | 12:03 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Dr. Jekyll, I suppose it's all relative.

Your analogy of 15% being the equivalent of walking around at night with shades on is very valid. That's precisely how it feels.

Out of curiosity, what are the tint laws in Hawaii? I would imagine they're more lenient than mainland US... considering you're basically in the tropics. It would be interesting to know.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Sorry but I have to disagree with you here. I would not say you nightime visibility is "slightly" reduced with no real side effect with 15% tint. I would argue that it is dramatically reduced. Unless you are fortunate to be only driving on well lit freeways or parking in shopping malls your vision is definitely reduced at night. To say there's no real side effect is untrue. Even if our subjective opinions differ you can't argue with the facts. By technical specs 15% tint allows for only 18% light transmission. That's the equivalent of walking around at night with shades on.
Old 03-07-16 | 12:07 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jasone36
Dr. Jekyll, I suppose it's all relative.

Your analogy of 15% being the equivalent of walking around at night with shades on is very valid. That's precisely how it feels.

Out of curiosity, what are the tint laws in Hawaii? I would imagine they're more lenient than mainland US... considering you're basically in the tropics. It would be interesting to know.

Thanks
Our laws are insane! It's 80% windshield, 35% all around for passenger vehicles and 35% fronts and unlimited rears for all truck and commercial vehicles. The penalty is... wait for it.... $287 per window! Yes, even the little ones. So a violation in Hawaii could cost me $2,296 if the cop wanted to stick it to you. And before you ask, yes I personally know someone who got more than one ticket for a tint violation.
Old 03-07-16 | 08:44 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Our laws are insane! It's 80% windshield, 35% all around for passenger vehicles and 35% fronts and unlimited rears for all truck and commercial vehicles. The penalty is... wait for it.... $287 per window! Yes, even the little ones. So a violation in Hawaii could cost me $2,296 if the cop wanted to stick it to you. And before you ask, yes I personally know someone who got more than one ticket for a tint violation.
Not to nitpick, but isn't the windshield still 70% ?

This is with no allowed variance unlike the side windows, where you have a 6% allowance for manufacturing tolerances of the windows. So the meter can read 29% and that is still passable. Whether this is applied correctly in practice by all places that do safety checks is of course not known.
Old 03-07-16 | 08:53 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Sorry but I have to disagree with you here. I would not say you nightime visibility is "slightly" reduced with no real side effect with 15% tint. I would argue that it is dramatically reduced. Unless you are fortunate to be only driving on well lit freeways or parking in shopping malls your vision is definitely reduced at night. To say there's no real side effect is untrue. Even if our subjective opinions differ you can't argue with the facts. By technical specs 15% tint allows for only 18% light transmission. That's the equivalent of walking around at night with shades on.
I'm going to agree w/ the Dr. On this one. My RX has 20% tint on the front windows, & nighttime visibility is definitely reduced in areas that are not well lit. It's not so bad that I have to roll down my windows to see things, but I have to be more cautious.

My LS has 30% tint on the front windows & IMO anything darker would be a danger to both the driver & others on the road.
Old 03-07-16 | 08:54 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1Putt
Not to nitpick, but isn't the windshield still 70% ?

This is with no allowed variance unlike the side windows, where you have a 6% allowance for manufacturing tolerances of the windows. So the meter can read 29% and that is still passable. Whether this is applied correctly in practice by all places that do safety checks is of course not known.
Nope you're right. My bad. It's 70%. The film I use is 80% cause the windshield has some tint to it and my car will pass but my Tacoma will not. I stand corrected.
Old 03-07-16 | 09:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I can attest that 30% causes me no issues at night.
Old 03-07-16 | 10:04 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Nope you're right. My bad. It's 70%. The film I use is 80% cause the windshield has some tint to it and my car will pass but my Tacoma will not. I stand corrected.
Yeah, I heard from T&T that the Tacomas weren't passing with the 70%. Even on my '16 NX200t they had to use the 80%. They said a lot of the '15, '16 model cars will only pass the 70% test with the 80% film
Old 03-07-16 | 10:07 PM
1Putt
Advanced

A few years ago a friend with a 3rd gen GS got pulled over and given a ticket for 5 windows @ $287 ea. Officer let him go on the 2 small rear quarter windows, how nice of him
Old 03-07-16 | 10:10 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1Putt
A few years ago a friend with a 3rd gen GS got pulled over and given a ticket for 5 windows @ $287 ea. Officer let him go on the 2 small rear quarter windows, how nice of him
Jeeeeeeeesus, mahalo HPD
Old 03-08-16 | 06:08 AM
jasone36
Instructor

I wonder, does anyone (besides me) roll all their windows down when they see a police officer?

It doesn't matter if the officer is on foot, on motorcycle, on a horse, or standing in the middle of an intersection directing traffic... I want the officer to feel comfortable when I'm driving by... almost like a sign of respect.

I do this religiously, and in 20 years of driving tinted cars I only received one tint ticket...
Old 03-08-16 | 10:04 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jasone36
I wonder, does anyone (besides me) roll all their windows down when they see a police officer?

It doesn't matter if the officer is on foot, on motorcycle, on a horse, or standing in the middle of an intersection directing traffic... I want the officer to feel comfortable when I'm driving by... almost like a sign of respect.

I do this religiously, and in 20 years of driving tinted cars I only received one tint ticket...
I personally don't and I've had cars with tint as high as 35% and as low as 20% over the last 3 decades. I also don't know of anyone else who does this nor have I witnessed it driving around town. Seems like a pain in the butt to roll all your windows up and down every time you see a blue light. And if I was a policeman I'd think you were acting guilty considering I can still see your back glass that would be illegally tinted.
Old 03-08-16 | 10:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think if you're so worried about tint that you would roll your windows down whenever you see a police officer you just shouldn't have tint.

If I rolled my windows down every time I see a police officer I may as well just leave them down all the time.
Old 03-08-16 | 11:15 AM
jasone36
Instructor

SW15LS,

On average it happens once every few weeks... not a huge deal for me.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think if you're so worried about tint that you would roll your windows down whenever you see a police officer you just shouldn't have tint.

If I rolled my windows down every time I see a police officer I may as well just leave them down all the time.
Old 03-08-16 | 11:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I pass 3-4 police officers a day...