LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Premium Window Tint on LS460 - Formula One Pinnacle

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-16, 07:49 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Exclamation Premium Window Tint on LS460 - Formula One Pinnacle

I have always tinted my previous cars with basic window film... usually standard-grade LLumar or entry-level SunTek brands.

The cost has generally been under $150, and the quality has been reasonable (it typically lasted 6 - 8 years before loosing it's sharp look).

Now that I've purchased a 2013 LS460L which I plan to keep for a (very) long time, I feel like it's time for "premium" window tint.

After days of intense research online, I am settling on LLumar "Formula One Pinnacle" window tint.

The cost is approximately $450 installed by a reputable LLumar dealer.

It appears that 15% is darkest this "premium" tint is available in (which makes sense), but I understand the LS460's standard windows add about 5% into the equation... thus we should get approximately 10% as a result.

Supposedly, this premium tint will "last longer" and "keep more heat out" than the inexpensive film.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with "premium" window tint on their cars?

Please share your thoughts, thank you!

Last edited by jasone36; 03-01-16 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-01-16, 08:42 AM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
I have always tinted my previous cars with basic window film... usually standard-grade LLumar or entry-level SunTek brands.

The cost has generally been under $150, and the quality has been reasonable (it typically lasted 6 - 8 years before loosing it's sharp look).

Now that I've purchased a 2013 LS460L which I plan to keep for a (very) long time, I feel like it's time for "premium" window tint.

After days of intense research online, I am settling on LLumar "Formula One Pinnacle" window tint.

The cost is approximately $450 installed by a reputable LLumar dealer.

It appears that 15% is darkest this "premium" tint is available in (which makes sense), but I understand the LS460's standard windows add about 5% into the equation... thus we should get approximately 10% as a result.

Supposedly, this premium tint will "last longer" and "keep more heat out" than the inexpensive film.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with "premium" window tint on their cars?

Please share your thoughts, thank you!
I recently got Formula 1 pinnacle ceramic tint with 30% upfront & 15% in the back. The installer also had a 5% "limo" available, so idk why they would say it's not available. Matter of fact, he had 5% available for all 3 tiers of the Formula 1 line.

I live in a desert where avg summer temps are 110*F, inside the car probably goes well above 130-150*F. It's literally hell! Current temps are only 90's these days, so I won't know until June -July the full effectiveness of the heat blocking capabilities the Formula 1 advertises.

I have some pics of my car on different threads here on CL, so search around so you can get an idea of how he tint looks. Lmk if you can't find them & I'll put up some pics here.

But to answer your question, 15% is plenty dark for my taste. Having black leather interior helps darken things up a little more too. Also with the rear window visor(or whatever it's called) up, it really darkens things up more.

Also, I got a "offseason" discount of $330 installed. Ask your installer about current promotions. It would've been over $500 regular price. I called other authorized installers for price quotes to confirm the validity of the price.

Last edited by XF40FSPORT; 03-01-16 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old 03-01-16, 09:55 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

FYI 5% Pinnacle is available as stated by Formula One

http://www.formulaone.com/pdf/FormulaOneSpecSheet.pdf

I highly recommend ceramic tint as it dramatically reduces the interior heat. You can even use a very very light tint on the windshield to seal as much IR and UV out of the car. Once you tint your car to 35% anything over is going to be for aesthetics as your heat blocking will be accomplished. I personally wouldn't go anything darker than 30% if you drive a lot at night or park in poorly lit garages etc. It's a #$&% too see out of at night.

Bottom line, the premium tint is worth the extra money and highly effective and anything darker than 30% would be a personal preference.
Old 03-01-16, 09:59 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

There is a thread on here in this corner of the forum where members openly discuss their tint selections, and if I recall, many seemed to love Huper Optic ceramic.
I'd be interested to know what the difference is, if any, between Huper and Pinnacle.
Old 03-01-16, 10:41 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Thanks for the responses.

The shop I'm planning on using only carries Pinnacle down to 15%... but indeed the spec sheet does show options down to 5%.

I'm planning to stick with 15% all around.

Previously to this LS, I used to do 5% (limo tint) in the rear window and rear doors... with the front doors at 15%, but the LS460 is more classy so I think 15% all around will suffice (especially with the rear curtain which comes up).

I'm going to leave the front windshield alone because in this state we have window stickers for inspection/registration which are on the windshield... wouldn't want to obscure those and get additional attention from Law Enforcement.

XF40FSPORT, I'm going to search for the pictures you posted, as they should be useful...
Old 03-01-16, 10:46 AM
jasone36
Instructor

XF40FSPORT, I've just searched most of your previous posts, and can't seem to locate the picture of your car with the window tint.

If you can, please post in this thread.

Thank you.
Old 03-01-16, 10:58 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jasone36

I'm going to leave the front windshield alone because in this state we have window stickers for inspection/registration which are on the windshield... wouldn't want to obscure those and get additional attention from Law Enforcement.
Now I'm curious, you can have 15% all around with no issues but can't run 80% on the windshield?
Old 03-01-16, 11:10 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Dr. Jekyll,

We cannot have 15% all around.

The tint laws are written in a way where they can ticket you for basically any film, on any window, except the rear window.

My experience has been approximately one ticket every 5 - 8 years.

Considering I'm not exactly a "gangster" (more like an office worker), the police do not seem to pay too much attention.

HOWEVER, one thing I ALWAYS do when I see police is to ROLL DOWN all my windows.... even if it's raining, snowing, etc.

They can probably still see the tint, but it's a sign of "respect" for the police, I suppose.

I figure the folks who have something to hide (i.e. drug dealers) probably do the opposite. It seems to keep me away from tickets.
Old 03-01-16, 11:23 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Okay I wanted to clarify because my suggestion for the windshield was to use the Air 80 which is virtually clear and undetectable as pictured on my car
Old 03-01-16, 11:26 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Old 03-01-16, 11:34 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Dr. Jekyll,

The Air 80 does look awfully good in that picture. It's certainly tempting.

Have you tried wearing polarized sun glasses inside the car, with the Air 80 tint?

I'm super-concerned about any reduction in visibility through the windshield.
Old 03-01-16, 12:28 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

30% front, 15% back doors & back window.

Kind of hard to see, but the winshield visor is 5% limo tint. This really helps reduce incoming light, but makes the winshield appear smaller on an already small winshield IMO.

Old 03-01-16, 12:29 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Most excellent question! I have not although I will grab a pair tomorrow and let you know. I removed all the polarized glasses from my cars since the screens were always annoying.
Old 03-01-16, 12:31 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XF40FSPORT
This guy and his sexy chrome wheels!
Old 03-01-16, 12:31 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

My sons car seat is in the back seat, which is virtually impossible to see, even in good lighting.

Quick Reply: Premium Window Tint on LS460 - Formula One Pinnacle