LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Clicking Sound When Depressing Brake Pedal (each time)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16, 05:13 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Here's an example of what you want. This is just the rear, but front is about the same price, so total cost would be less than 40 dollars all in with shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-Brake-H...1VriF0&vxp=mtr
This is really helpful, thanks. If the dealer gives me the brush tomorrow, I may just buy these and some new pads, install myself and be done with it.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there is similar hardware on the LS in stock form?
Old 05-12-16, 05:14 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Is anyone experiencing side-play on their brake pedal? (use your foot and see if there is movement of the brake pedal in relation to the body bracket)
No play on my '13 SWB AWD with 40k miles..just that damn click in reverse.
Old 05-23-16, 03:03 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Just thought I'd follow up. Installed new pads (went with OEM as I found them for even cheaper than the Akebonos) and replaced all the hardware (centric kits front and back). Rotors are in great shape so I left them as is. Reused the original shims, fresh grease all around. Happy to report the clicking in reverse is completely gone and the brake feel is markedly improved. Thanks to this forum, saved a ton of dough!
Old 05-23-16, 04:02 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by droclex
Just thought I'd follow up. Installed new pads (went with OEM as I found them for even cheaper than the Akebonos) and replaced all the hardware (centric kits front and back). Rotors are in great shape so I left them as is. Reused the original shims, fresh grease all around. Happy to report the clicking in reverse is completely gone and the brake feel is markedly improved. Thanks to this forum, saved a ton of dough!
Thanks for the follow up. Glad it worked out. So did the grabbiness disappear as well?
Old 05-23-16, 04:17 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Thanks for the follow up. Glad it worked out. So did the grabbiness disappear as well?
Still a smidge grabby, but better for sure. That seemingly inherent grabby quality definitely is mitigated by reduced brake pedal travel that accompanies the big, fat new pads. For what it's worth the pads I removed were original and after 41k miles were down to about 4/5 mm. So I probably could have gotten another 10-15k out of them, but am glad I swapped them out for a better driving experience and while my rotors, which have never been turned, remain in excellent shape.

Last edited by droclex; 05-23-16 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-23-16, 04:28 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Still a smidge grabby, but better for sure. That seemingly inherent grabby quality definitely is mitigated by reduced brake pedal travel that accompanies the big, fat new pads. For what it's worth the pads I removed were original and after 41k miles were down to about 4/5 mm. So I probably could have gotten another 10-15k out of them, but am glad I swapped them out for a better driving experience and while my rotors, which have never been turned, remain in excellent shape.
Really? No shimmy from warpage at all?
Old 05-23-16, 04:31 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Really? No shimmy from warpage at all?
Not that I can tell. Drove around all day paying careful attention to sound and the feel. Smooth as can be, but this primarily was a highway car for the first owner.

If anything changes, I'll swap out the rotors asap. But there's no need for now, thankfully

Last edited by droclex; 05-23-16 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-23-16, 04:48 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Not that I can tell. Drove around all day paying careful attention to sound and the feel. Smooth as can be, but this primarily was a highway car for the first owner.

If anything changes, I'll swap out the rotors asap. But there's no need for now, thankfully
Roger that.
Old 06-01-16, 08:28 AM
tlynch41
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 07 with 150K miles has the same "clicking" feel. It happens mostly when I brake hard, or I use the brakes coming off a mountain road. Otherwise, it seems fine. Dealer says to change the brake fluid, and that might fix it. Since changing the fluids is part of the 150K maintenance, I will do it then. Otherwise, I will see if the dealer can check out the brake actuator recall notice...
Old 03-27-20, 04:09 PM
Ignatius
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile SOLVED!!! Clicking Sound When Depressing Brake Pedal

Hi All,

I know this is an old forum but wanted to share my resolution to the infamous Clicking Sound When Depressing Brake Pedal. This became annoying and when I took the car to the Dealer, they wanted like 3 grand to replace the control arms.

So here is what I did. Bought lower control arms, Calipers (my original calipers had torn piston boots which I think was causing air to be sucked into the break line), bought new stabilizer links, new spindle ball joints, and new rotors from RockAuto.
Did the job and bled the brakes using Techstream software and the end result is quiet brake operation. Clicking Sound When Depressing Brake Pedal completely gone.

Total cost $450.

The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (03-27-20)
Old 03-30-20, 06:11 AM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

From your post I believe bleeding the brake system with tech stream solves the issue.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Hi All,

I know this is an old forum but wanted to share my resolution to the infamous Clicking Sound When Depressing Brake Pedal. This became annoying and when I took the car to the Dealer, they wanted like 3 grand to replace the control arms.

So here is what I did. Bought lower control arms, Calipers (my original calipers had torn piston boots which I think was causing air to be sucked into the break line), bought new stabilizer links, new spindle ball joints, and new rotors from RockAuto.
Did the job and bled the brakes using Techstream software and the end result is quiet brake operation. Clicking Sound When Depressing Brake Pedal completely gone.

Total cost $450.