LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How much garage clearance do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-16, 08:50 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How much garage clearance do you have?

We're in escrow for a house and of course I'm out in the garage with a tape measure to make sure there's enough room for my LS. I measured just under 18' of length wise space which is about a foot shorter than what I currently have. The LS is 16.5' long so I'm not cutting to too close. But curious what sort of tight spaces some of you are fitting into?

BTW, I've already closed my current garage door on my front bumper (front license plate sign) twice...hopefully won't happen again as I double check after getting out now.
Old 03-09-16, 09:02 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
We're in escrow for a house and of course I'm out in the garage with a tape measure to make sure there's enough room for my LS. I measured just under 18' of length wise space which is about a foot shorter than what I currently have. The LS is 16.5' long so I'm not cutting to too close. But curious what sort of tight spaces some of you are fitting into?

BTW, I've already closed my current garage door on my front bumper (front license plate sign) twice...hopefully won't happen again as I double check after getting out now.
Two words: Ping-pong ball! Suspend one from a string so that upon pulling into your garage, when the ball touches your windshield, you know you're far enough in so that your car will clear the garage door.
Old 03-09-16, 10:36 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I got a laser on ceiling pointing down the a spot on the dash. Hit the spot and stop. It gets power offer my garage door opener and only turns on when the overhead opens.
Old 03-09-16, 10:52 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
I got a laser on ceiling pointing down the a spot on the dash. Hit the spot and stop. It gets power offer my garage door opener and only turns on when the overhead opens.
Yep a neighbor has that system and it works great.

I know that one of my neighbors borrowed her ex hubbies 09 460L and it didn't fot in the garage. She had to park it at an angle to get the door to close. Great idea to measure first.
Old 03-09-16, 10:55 AM
redlight30
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the door protectors on the garage wall to line up upon entering. Plenty of clearance front and back but width is tight for me I pull the mirrors in while garage door is going up. The ping pong ball and laser ideas seem very cool!
Old 03-09-16, 11:12 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Originally Posted by R Z
Yep a neighbor has that system and it works great.

I know that one of my neighbors borrowed her ex hubbies 09 460L and it didn't fot in the garage. She had to park it at an angle to get the door to close. Great idea to measure first.
Hey where can we get these kits? Sounds very interesting.
Old 03-09-16, 11:14 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

My neighbors hate me though. I have one of the deepest garages here. Tons of space. I feel pretty lucky.
Old 03-09-16, 01:18 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I guess im fortunate in the fact that I have more than enough room in my garage.
I've never measured it out, but its wide enough to fit my wife's Pilot and my 460L simultaneously, and I can have the doors on the Pilot open all the way without worrying about hitting the LS.
Depth-wise, I can park the LS comfortably and still have about 4 feet between the rear bumper and the garage door and about 8-9 feet in front of the car.
Gotta love bump-outs!
I will say though, I love the laser idea!
Old 03-09-16, 01:22 PM
VIPanda460
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I barely fit into mines but yes I did measure beforehand. If I got the LWB it for sure would not have fit.

Had to rearrange some stuff in the garage initially.

Now I just rely on my sensors to beep red then push it a little more so that the garage won't close on it.
Old 03-09-16, 01:23 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, I literally have no room in mine. Built shelves while I had my previous car, which was much smaller. Now, I have maybe ten inches in front, and maybe an inch or two in back. The parking sensors scream at me every time I enter or leave, lol. I had to turn down the volume. I used a tennis ball on string, but I'm going to get those parking aid mats that cup your wheels at the desired position. Lol, I'm like an old man parking, don't care though.

That's why I'm nervous about the new LS. If it's as big as the LWB and that's all they offer, I wouldn't buy simply because it wouldn't fit in my garage, and I'm not moving for the sake of a car and I always want to garage park my cars.

In their quest for bigger, larger and faster, they are forgetting (or neglecting) about basic necessities and limitations.
Old 03-09-16, 03:19 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I guess im fortunate in the fact that I have more than enough room in my garage.
I've never measured it out, but its wide enough to fit my wife's Pilot and my 460L simultaneously, and I can have the doors on the Pilot open all the way without worrying about hitting the LS.
Depth-wise, I can park the LS comfortably and still have about 4 feet between the rear bumper and the garage door and about 8-9 feet in front of the car.
Gotta love bump-outs!
I will say though, I love the laser idea!
We have a winner!
Old 03-09-16, 04:04 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

I think it is typical of how shoddy many home builders construct their houses. Not building the garage to reasonable dimensions and a myriad of poor construction materials and workmanship are par for the course today. If I were buying a new construction house today I would have to be on the site daily to inspect the materials and workmanship.
Old 03-09-16, 04:08 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Got my laser at lowes think it was a chamberlain brand. I have about 2 feet in front after i park. I would have more room but the laundry room bumps out and takes about 5 feet or so of the garage.

Plus i have shelves on the side and a drink fridge on the side too. It was double car garage.
Old 03-10-16, 05:28 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I built my house 9 years ago with a 1,000 sq ft garage attached. You can swing all the car doors wide open no problem and there is 5 ft in front and 2 ft at the back of the 3 cars. The ceiling height is 13 ft and 16 ft in the bay with the lift. I have a little compressor room to shield the noise also. The high ceiling allows for massive shelving going all the way up. It's all insulated and dry walled and painted with a gas heater. I still hang tennis ***** so my wife and I keep the cars parked in their correct positions. She likes to walk behind the cars so I give her more room by the doors when I set the tennis *****.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 03-10-16 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-10-16, 08:45 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
I built my house 9 years ago with a 1,000 sq ft garage attached. You can swing all the car doors wide open no problem and there is 5 ft in front and 2 ft at the back of the 3 cars. The ceiling height is 13 ft and 16 ft in the bay with the lift. I have a little compressor room to shield the noise also. The high ceiling allows for massive shelving going all the way up. It's all insulated and dry walled and painted with a gas heater. I still hang tennis ***** so my wife and I keep the cars parked in their correct positions. She likes to walk behind the cars so I give her more room by the doors when I set the tennis *****.
Pics !!!!!!

Quick Reply: How much garage clearance do you have?