LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Surprise Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-16, 05:59 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Surprise Road Trip

So my son called me the other day letting me know he was getting married the next day.(Long Story)

So surprise road trip to NC. I drove through the night Monday to arrive Tuesday morning in NC. Stopped once for fuel in Virginia at a WaWa. Put in premium which I think was 92 there. Drove from Va to NC. Car was flawless, but I babied it at 75mph.

Get to NC and I was driving around. When I went to get on the gas, I noticed the car was SLOW. It was very hesitant, and felt like I was driving a 4 cylinder. No power at all. Ever couple of times I would do it, I would get regular power. Did it all day.

Once I got the tank empty, I went to Shell and filled it up with 10 gal and put a bottle of Techron in there. (I know, I know) First time I jump on it, hesitates. From there on out, it has been running great again. Full power.

Guessing I got gas that the car didn't like. No error codes ever showed up. Weird.
Old 03-23-16, 06:14 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

That does sound pretty freaky! Glad you got it resolved. Curious why you added (I know, I know)? Was it cause you added the Techron?
Old 03-23-16, 06:39 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Yes, bad gas was probably the culprit.

As far as the "Long Story", we got time.
Old 03-23-16, 06:40 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
That does sound pretty freaky! Glad you got it resolved. Curious why you added (I know, I know)? Was it cause you added the Techron?
Yes, there has been numerous debates about the actual efficiency of these products. Some question the actual results of them. I figured it couldn't hurt, so I tried it. Whether it was just getting some good gas in there, the techron, or a combo of the both, I'll never know.

It was so weird. I would floor it, and it was slow. It would rev so slow. It literally felt like I added 500lbs to the car and turned off 4 cylinders.
Old 03-23-16, 06:43 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

The long story is my son has followed in my footsteps in every way possible.

I joined the Marine Corps at 17, got married at 18-19, and had my daughter at 19.

My son also joined the Marine Corps at 17, got his girlfriend pregnant at 18, and is now getting married at 18. His baby will be born at 19 also.

So I guess it could be worse. I am extremely proud of him, you just always want your kids to not struggle like you did. I know how tough it was raising them at such a young age, so I had hoped he would wait. But he is exactly like me so....

This will be my second grandchild. I'm 40. hahaha

Side note, I am resting comfortably in a two room suite all by myself. Have to pamper yourself.
Old 03-23-16, 07:45 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
Yes, there has been numerous debates about the actual efficiency of these products. Some question the actual results of them. I figured it couldn't hurt, so I tried it. Whether it was just getting some good gas in there, the techron, or a combo of the both, I'll never know.

It was so weird. I would floor it, and it was slow. It would rev so slow. It literally felt like I added 500lbs to the car and turned off 4 cylinders.
Well you can count me in the "believe" column as I've seen first hand how effective Techron is. I wonder if they accidentally put too much ethanol or maybe even diesel in the tank? A station in WA recently loaded up a gasoline tank with diesel by accident, the results were not pretty.
Old 03-24-16, 05:56 AM
Shaud843
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stopped once for fuel at a WaWa.

Guessing I got gas that the car didn't like.
When I was in Orlando couple months ago, I was going to fill up at a WaWa in my LS.... a guy at the pump in front of me told me NOT to put WaWa's gas in mine because he said his old LS didn't run correctly.... So i hung the pump and drove down to the Shell down the street... So i think its just WaWa...
Old 03-24-16, 06:40 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shaud843
When I was in Orlando couple months ago, I was going to fill up at a WaWa in my LS.... a guy at the pump in front of me told me NOT to put WaWa's gas in mine because he said his old LS didn't run correctly.... So i hung the pump and drove down to the Shell down the street... So i think its just WaWa...
You may be absolutely correct, because it has never happened before. And it wasn't until I filled up there. Needless to say I will not be filling up there again just in case.
Old 03-24-16, 07:15 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
As far as the "Long Story", we got time.
Just wanted to say, I got a chuckle out of the above.

I see you elaborated. Grandpa X2 at 40! Nothing wrong with that, but WOW! I'm 44. My oldest is 15. I hope he waits until he's ~30 before cranks one out. Leaving him plenty of time practicing the cranking process.

Last edited by 7milesout; 03-24-16 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-24-16, 10:44 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Gratz on being a grandpa. Apparently all gas is not the same. Especially the gas coming from my dog! ;-)
Old 03-24-16, 02:08 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

The long story is my son has followed in my footsteps in every way possible.
Hey, from all indications you turned out OK, so he is on the right track.

Best wishes to your son and his bride, and tell him thank you for his service, and thank you to his bride for what she may have to endure while he is away.
Old 03-25-16, 10:07 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys. Well I'm back in MA. Rough drive last night. For me not the car.

Car has been running great since I got rid of that WaWa gas, and have only put in Shell 93 octane along with the Techron. No hesitation at all.

Actually, for the first 400 miles back, my car got an indicated 32mpg. I was in shock. That was cruise set at around 70-73mph. Best I've managed in this car for that distance. I've squeaked out a few 30mpg but never 32.

Everything went off without a hitch for the newlyweds, and they are currently driving back up here for the weekend. hahaha better them than me. I'm going to bed.
Old 03-26-16, 05:46 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaud843
true story. I live in Orlando, right around the corner from a WaWa. same car as you, 95 Ls400. the old Ls400s DO NOT like wawa gas. last time I put it in the car it ran like total crap! cheap crummy racetrack gas is better than WaWa. pathetic.
Old 03-26-16, 08:00 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 465 Likes on 347 Posts

Is WaWa a service station chain? Never heard of them here in the Midwest?

greg3852

I will be 66 in May and our oldest will be 47 in April. The youngest will be 44 next Monday. Our oldest GS is 17 and graduates from HS on the 31th of May. He will be a freshmen at JMU in August and will not turn 18 until 31 Oct. It's good to get them out of the way early. It's been the DW and me alone since 1990 when the youngest went off to college.

Dennis

Last edited by DJWLDW; 03-26-16 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-26-16, 09:33 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Is WaWa a service station change? Never heard of them here in the Midwest?

greg3852

I will be 66 in May and our oldest will be 47 in April. The youngest will be 44 next Monday. Our oldest GS is 17 and graduates from HS on the 31th of May. He will be a freshmen at JMU in August and will not turn 18 until 31 Oct. It's good to get them out of the way early. It's been the DW and me alone since 1990 when the youngest went off to college.

Dennis
It is a great feeling to get them out early. We are enjoying ourselves.

WaWa is a gas station chain similar to Circle K, Cumberland Farms, etc.. It is one I will never get gas for the LS from again thats for sure.

Quick Reply: Surprise Road Trip