LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Consumer Reports Ultra Luxury Class May 16 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 04:03 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Consumer Reports Ultra Luxury Class May 16 Issue

Anyone subscribed to CR? My friend tells me the LS came in second for the 2016 MY and BMW first, jumping from almost dead last.

Of course, it has the subjective driving characteristics as part of the score, but reliability is still in there as well.

He said the 2016 S550 came in dead last due to reliability hits.

The results are surprising in that the BMW is way up there and the Mercedes dropped. Just curious what other vehicles are on the list if anyone knows, otherwise I'll ask him again.
Old 03-30-16, 07:01 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

The new BMW and MB are the ultimate driving machines and each have been refreshed, plus both are the most technologically advanced. Both are prong to serious reliability issues. Personally I don't believe the current LS isn't in this ultra luxury class yet.
Old 03-30-16, 08:45 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

[QUOTE=dlbuckls10;9427193]The new BMW and MB are the ultimate driving machines and each have been refreshed, plus both are the most technologically advanced. Both are prong to serious reliability issues. Personally I don't believe the current LS isn't in this ultra luxury class yet.[/Q

Really?? What is the LS missing that excludes from this list? It's been in this class for over 10 years.
Old 03-30-16, 08:55 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I suspect there's money being moved under the table.

Just saying.
Old 03-30-16, 09:02 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Anyone subscribed to CR? My friend tells me the LS came in second for the 2016 MY and BMW first, jumping from almost dead last.

Of course, it has the subjective driving characteristics as part of the score, but reliability is still in there as well.

He said the 2016 S550 came in dead last due to reliability hits.

The results are surprising in that the BMW is way up there and the Mercedes dropped. Just curious what other vehicles are on the list if anyone knows, otherwise I'll ask him again.

Rhambler,
An image of the comparison is attached. I apologize in advance if this violates forum rules. BMW and Lexus were 2016 MY. Audi and MB were 2015 MY.

Consumer Reports Ultra Luxury Class May 16 Issue-comparison.jpg
Old 03-30-16, 09:03 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone have a link or a screenshot of this article?

It sounds interesting....
Old 03-30-16, 09:35 AM
kclark2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
I suspect there's money being moved under the table.

Just saying.
What else do you suspect?
Old 03-30-16, 09:55 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kclark2
What else do you suspect?
Well, this class of car is purchased by wealthy and powerful people. The target demographic here can definitely influence outcomes.
Old 03-30-16, 10:04 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Well, this class of car is purchased by wealthy and powerful people. The target demographic here can definitely influence outcomes.
Agreed 100%
Old 03-30-16, 11:43 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Hyundai...

When I was with Hyundai, it seemed when the company had more direct contact with one particular vehicle ratings entity or another, the better the vehicle would be rated by that entity in subsequent ratings. And when I say direct contact, Hyundai would host X company for this or that, and shortly thereafter, Hyundai ratings for particular vehicles would have a spike in, say ... Initial Quality, for example.

Funny how that would happen. I'm sure it was just coincidental. Hyundai would never do anything unethical.

But I must qualify those statements with ... if I were in their position, or a similar position, and could afford to do so, I would do the same thing. Bidness is bidness. If your job is to sell cars, by all means (literally), sell cars.

7milesout
Old 03-30-16, 12:09 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey, considering how old the LS is, I think it's great. Take out that subjective driving element and I'm sure it would be in first even though this generation is on its last legs. Good showing all things considered.
Old 03-30-16, 12:22 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm pretty sure ratings in Consumer Reports aren't influenced by manufacturers or other outside vested interests. They accept no advertising and buy products the way a typical buyer would. One can disagree with their ratings and methodology perhaps, but I don't believe integrity or objectivity is an issue with CR.

The reliability ratings come from their consumer surveys. Road test and performance ratings come from their testsing process.

I'd want to see actual evidence of outside influences affecting CR's ratings instead of just a "money changing hands" statement.
Old 03-30-16, 12:36 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

[QUOTE=roadfrog;9427305]
Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
The new BMW and MB are the ultimate driving machines and each have been refreshed, plus both are the most technologically advanced. Both are prong to serious reliability issues. Personally I don't believe the current LS isn't in this ultra luxury class yet.[/Q

Really?? What is the LS missing that excludes from this list? It's been in this class for over 10 years.

Correction: My mistake. I was referring to the BMW, Lexus and MB only. What's missing from the LS? Quality, craftsmanship and innovations. The new S-class and 7-series have up its luxury game to a whole new level. Both are solid, you can feel and see the craftsmanship. Both are near the luxury level with Bentley or Maybach and the LS is lagging and could use some serious upgrading. In terms of value and reliability the LS should be #1. Just my 2 cents and I can't wait to see what the next generation LS have to offer in terms of quality, craftsmanship and luxury.
Old 03-30-16, 12:44 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
I'm pretty sure ratings in Consumer Reports aren't influenced by manufacturers or other outside vested interests. They accept no advertising and buy products the way a typical buyer would. One can disagree with their ratings and methodology perhaps, but I don't believe integrity or objectivity is an issue with CR.

The reliability ratings come from their consumer surveys. Road test and performance ratings come from their testsing process.

I'd want to see actual evidence of outside influences affecting CR's ratings instead of just a "money changing hands" statement.
I am with you. This is CR's selling point.

I am not sure how extensive a testing was done on the MY2016 vehicle to generate the latest scores. The road test and report on the CR website refer to the MY2013 vehicle.
Old 03-30-16, 01:31 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp

This right here and why I continue to trust and use CR tests and ratings.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Ultra Luxury Class May 16 Issue