LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 LS 460 interior trim cracks

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16 | 08:18 AM
Kuhan
Pole Position

It doesn't hurt to try because the car is still under manufacturer warranty. Plus it's CPO, shouldn't these kind of imperfections taken care of before they sell it as L-certified?

Not only the cracks on the trims by the door but also the trims on the center gearbox as well, but it's hard to capture with the cracks with the phone.
Old 04-08-16 | 02:20 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jasone36
Khánh, my 2013 has the exact same cracks.

Please let us know what you learn.
Hi,

The Lexus dealership where I bought the car from said they will cover these trims under manufacturer warranty. Seems like all the cracks are on the drivers side and the gearbox area. The passengers side are in good condition without cracks.
Old 04-08-16 | 03:30 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Glad to read the dealership is stepping up. That type of failure should be covered. Jason should approach his favorite dealership and get this addressed under warranty.

Keeps us posted with update pictures please.... Thanks for spear heading this...
Old 04-11-16 | 04:50 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

So the service manager called back today and told me the trims aren't covered by Lexus because it's a pre-owned vehicle even though the car is still under manufacturer warranty.
Old 04-11-16 | 06:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'd take it to another dealership. That doesn't make any sense...the warranty is the warranty.
Old 04-11-16 | 06:40 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

So true and hopefully you will better luck at another dealership.
Old 04-12-16 | 01:23 PM
jasone36
Instructor

My experience with luxury car dealerships is that the "default" answer is nearly always no... and that will put off 75% of the warranty claims.

The remaining 25% of the people will pursue thus further, if need be get the General Manager involved, and will often come out triumphant.

Don't be put off by the initial "no"... that's the standard answer. Find legitimate ways to state your case to the RIGHT audience (i.e. not the graveyard shift service adviser... but rather the team lead).
Old 04-12-16 | 06:09 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, a car manufacturer's warranty stays with the car, regardless of owner, provided it is within the original constraints of that warranty (i.e., mileage, age, etc.). Check the owner's manual warranty coverage booklet and see for yourself. There's no language in there saying warranty coverage drops upon vehicle transfer, etc. In fact, most states outlaw implied warranty limitations.
Old 04-13-16 | 04:53 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

You can download the 2013 Lexus LS 460 and LS 460L Warranty Services Guide here:

https://ownersmanuals2.com/get/lexus...es-guide-19641

Look at page 17. Note that "Warranty coverage is automatically at no cost to subsequent vehicle owners". Show the Service Manager that page. Get the dealer to replace the cracked trim. I don't think the Sevice Manager would be brazen enough to claim the cracks were caused by normal wear and tear, especially since another (invalid) was already attempted.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 LS 460 interior trim cracks-image.png  

Last edited by Gbp; 04-13-16 at 07:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tofuprod (11-30-17)
Old 04-13-16 | 05:46 AM
jasone36
Instructor

When coming in for a warranty claim (whether on a Bentley, a Daewoo, a Geo Metro, or a 90K Lexus), you need to come in prepared.

Print out all your supporting material. Have evidence.

Think of it as coming in for a traffic court case to court. You need to make a cohesive argument, back it up with a handful of (printed) evidence, and you'll increase your chance of success tremendously.

Approx 75% of the people WILL NOT do that (too busy, aren't worried about the money so much), thus the dealerships will effectively negate 75% of the claims immediately by providing the default "no" answer.
Old 11-18-18 | 06:14 PM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

I just noticed a hairline crack in my driver door wood frim. It is a very fine crack that runs from the rear of the wood trim all the way up to the seat memory buttons. The crack is not very noticeable unless the sun hits it just right. I have a 13 and am still under cpo. I will mention it to my service advisor during my next visit. The crack could have been there since I purchased the car for all I know since it is hard to see in normal light conditions. I certainly do not recall hitting it with my seat belt. Interior trim is usually not covered by the cpo.

Curios to know if anyone else has cracks in the driver door wood trim and whether you had anything done about it?
Old 11-18-18 | 06:31 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

I think previous owner had anger issue. The center console has many cracks too. I just live with it as I'm not going to spend a few grands to get them replaced.
Old 11-18-18 | 06:40 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Kuhan
These are the cracks by the door handles.

Wow, those like pretty significant. Our 2013 does not have any cracking on trim pieces. Some swirl marks, sure, but not any actual cracks...not yet, at least.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I also see there are dents in the metal trim on the door below the wood trim. Those dents come from smacking the seat belt buckle into the trim. Could that have caused the cracks as well? If I were Lexus I'd say so.
I am very deliberate with how I unbuckle and still have my hand on the buckle when the belt retracts. Not saying the OP is not careful when unbuckling, but I do make sure to take an extra second or two to avoid flinging the seatbelt buckle against the door leather or trim. As for cracking near the center console or gear shifter, I do not understand how that happens unless you drop your phone or a metal thermos onto the surface.
Old 11-18-18 | 10:32 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Interesting. The driver's door of my 2013 looks identical to that. Long since out of warranty obviously but it does seem to be something that is more than an isolated case.
Old 11-19-18 | 04:30 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

If you look at the CPO or Lexus Platinum extended warranties, they specifcally exclude trim (leather, door panels, wood, plastic). A good dealer may work something out for you.

Kuhan: I'm surprised McGrath Lexus didn't do better by you; My son lived in chicago for 4 years and they went way beyond the expected for his IS250 (I bought it in NC before he moved up there).

Quick Reply: 2013 LS 460 interior trim cracks