LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Complimentary Oil Change???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-16, 08:59 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts
Angry Complimentary Oil Change???

I purchased a 2013 CPO LS and it comes with a "COMPLIMENTARY" oil change so I called the dealer and told them I wanted to come in on Monday for the complimentary oil change and asked the service person what the cost difference would be to add synthetic oil and she said $110.00....... After a 30 second silence on my end, I told her I had NO problem paying the cost difference but $110 is insane and I felt she was taking advantage of a customer who purchased a car from them. When I explained that the labor would be the same no matter what they were adding to the crankcase she still said $110 and explained this is the COMPLIMENTARY price because the car does not require synthetic oil.
I know Lexus service at the dealer is stupid, outrageous costly and this is why I purchased the extended warranty BUT charging $110 for the difference in synthetic oil on a complimentary oil change is robbery. Needless to say I will change my own oil and will NEVER walk into this dealership again.
Old 04-01-16, 09:23 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Like buying a hot dog and beer at a ball game for $22.
Old 04-01-16, 09:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

My 2015 LS requires synthetic oil, I'd be surprised if your 2013 did not either.

It is ridiculous though, I had that experience years ago after I got my 2003 ES new, I had them use synthetic on top of the complimentary oil change and it was like $150 (and that was a 3L that took 5 quarts, and that was 13 years ago! My issue was I didn't realize until afterwards...they did reduce the cost.

Breaking it down though, here is the oil capacity:

So 9.5 quarts assuming its AWD, call it 10. Mobil 1 0W20 is $9.29 per quart at Pep Boys, so that time 10 plus tax is $98.47. Clearly the price at Lexus won't be the same as Pep Boys...so their $110 isn't so far off.

BUT, I do believe your LS requires synthetic. This is from my manual:

0W20 is ALWAYS synthetic. So I would check your manual to see if it says the same thing, and if so they should do a synthetic change for free.

Dealer service reps are ignorant. I tell them every time "make sure to use the factory required 0W20 synthetic" and make them put it on the work order.
Old 04-01-16, 10:19 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Many thanks to SW5LS for posting the oil info.
I have a case of 0w-20 Toyota syn. oil sitting in the garage (along with 48 years of mechanical experience, a full set of tools and a four post lift) so I will do the oil change myself instead of driving a 3 hour round trip and waiting at the stealership for one hour for this "COMPLIMENTARY" $110 oil change.
BTW! I paid $85 for a case of 12 qts. of 0w-20 Gen-U-Ine Toyota synthetic oil.
Old 04-01-16, 10:31 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

A man walked into a bar and ordered a beer. As he sipped the beer, he heard a soothing voice say “nice tie!” Looking around, he noticed that the bar was empty except for himself and the bartender. A few sips later the voice said “beautiful shirt“.

The man says to the bartender: “Hey…I must be losing my mind”. “I keep hearing these voices saying nice things, and there’s not a soul in here but us.” The bartender said: “It’s the peanuts … they’re complimentary.“
Old 04-01-16, 10:39 AM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't get the same service and as nice as a lobby, but toyota will do the oil change for $80. And use TGMO 0-20. And toyota filter. Toyota policy is they don't charge by the sump, oil quantity, they charge by the service. I'm my mind that is a great value.
Old 04-01-16, 10:45 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Not to jack this thread, but I also was under the impression that synthetic was necessary for a car of this caliber.

I had a oil change at the dealership done on my 2013... and now I'll have to see if it was, in fact, synthetic.

I'm a bit worried now...
Old 04-01-16, 10:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't drive 3 hours for an oil change even if I had to pay $200 for it closer to my home. Your closest Lexus dealer is 3 hours away? And you're in NJ?

Of course you can buy bulk oil cheaper than the dealership will sell it to you retail. Thats how business works...

The dealer is expensive, this isn't news lol
Old 04-01-16, 12:02 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I wouldn't drive 3 hours for an oil change even if I had to pay $200 for it closer to my home. Your closest Lexus dealer is 3 hours away? And you're in NJ?

Of course you can buy bulk oil cheaper than the dealership will sell it to you retail. Thats how business works...

The dealer is expensive, this isn't news lol
There are a few dealers closer to me however, the dealer where I purchased the car and offering the "COMPLIMENTARY" oil change is in North Jersey.... I live along the Delaware River right across from PA.
I am very familiar with dealer mark ups and how business works PLUS I also understand "customer satisfaction" and trying to take advantage (aka: deceiving) of the "loyal customer" who purchased three Lexus' from you. I will do my own oil change because I know it will be done right.
I was going to go to this dealership to have my cracking moon roof gasket looked at the same time I had the oil changed.... "Kill two birds with one stone."
Here is some "Food for Thought:" You take your car in for an oil change (the oil guy who is usually a "rookie" does the oil change) You extra pay for SYNTHETIC OIL....... How do you know if he poured in synthetic oil and NOT "dino oil"??
Old 04-01-16, 12:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If it's CPO you should get a complimentary oil change from ANY dealer.

I don't think they're trying to deceive you, I think they're just stupid. The service adjuster doesn't care about $100 for oil.
Old 04-01-16, 12:42 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If it's CPO you should get a complimentary oil change from ANY dealer.

I don't think they're trying to deceive you, I think they're just stupid. The service adjuster doesn't care about $100 for oil.
I will have to check into this "CPO complimentary oil change" at my local dealer...... Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-01-16, 12:46 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

SW15LS is correct on every point: Your 2013 LS460 came with synthetic and the CPO
complimentary change should have been both synthetic and complimentary. Any dealer
would get paid by Lexus to do it and would be happy to have the work.

Suggest you attach a copy of your misbegotten Repair Order and send it to Lexus
Corporate.
Old 04-01-16, 02:10 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

I shudder to think what they charge for actual repair work.

Frankly this is where Lexus Corporate needs to step up. Some of the recent dealer horror stories here are really starting to tarnish the Lexus name.

I know Infiniti has pulled the dealership from an unscrupulous owner. Not saying this is unscrupulous, but it definitely reflects very poorly on Lexus. I agree with mcomer's suggestion.
Old 04-01-16, 03:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As I demonstrated...if you purchased the oil yourself at PepBoys you would only save a little over $11 over what this dealer is charging him. I don't think thats an unreasonable markup for the retail source being the Lexus dealer and not PepBoys.

The dealer is GOING to be expensive. Just look at the overhead...look at the building, the amenities, all of that costs money and the service and product they are going to provide is going to cost more than from a Toyota dealer, or from PepBoys, or from an independent mechanic, or from a gas station. Just like the same shirt costs more at Nordstrom than it does at Kohls.

If you don't want to pay the premium for those amenities and that experience...then don't...but why people endlessly complain about the cost of dealer service is beyond me

This is not unique to Lexus. I have a coworker with an 08 BMW 335i. She took it to the BMW dealer, they came back with an estimate of $7,500. Thats not a misprint. They said all the struts were leaking, head gasket was leaking, rear main seal was leaking, and a bunch of other stuff. I gave her the name of a great local mechanic who specializes in BMWs and my tire place. Took it to the mechanic, very little of the crap they said was wrong was wrong, total bill? $200. They said it needed all new tires...took it to my tire place, they rotated them and said she'd be fine another year. No charge! When she called me to thank me she was almost in tears.

So yeah, don't take an aging car to the dealer, and for scheduled maintenance understand the premium you pay is for the experience.

In any event, the dealer will also use oil you bring in...and I can't imagine even considering driving 3 hours to save even $200 on an oil change...

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-01-16 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-01-16, 05:12 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the 2015 LX a few months ago, the dealer complimentary oil change was synthetic. I would say your LS 2013 will be change by any Lexus dealer using synthetic oil

Quick Reply: Complimentary Oil Change???