LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Flame Suit On.....What ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 08:52 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That's the point. Who cares if they know it's a V8? You know. That's all that matters. That's part of its understated elegance.
I do understand the understated elegance. The lack of badging is not an issue with me at all. I've never considering adding anything to the body. I think it looks great as is. But the badging as added in this thread is OK, not something I would do though. But the rear one could be a bit smaller.
Old 04-13-16, 09:01 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm going to get an emblem that says "leather seats" or "automatic climate control" and put that on my car too. Makes about as much sense.
OK, I went back and read the whole thread, at least until I got to this, and I got stuck laughing. Maybe I could get a emblem that says "DIRTY CARPET MATS" and put that on the doors near the bottom!

Different strokes for different folks. But this really struck me as funny SW15LS!
Old 04-13-16, 09:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
OK, I went back and read the whole thread, at least until I got to this, and I got stuck laughing. Maybe I could get a emblem that says "DIRTY CARPET MATS" and put that on the doors near the bottom!

Different strokes for different folks. But this really struck me as funny SW15LS!
I'm a fan of the Tasmanian devil mats and the mudflaps with the naked ladies on them myself.

And some of those stick on air intakes too.
Old 04-13-16, 10:16 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm a fan of the Tasmanian devil mats and the mudflaps with the naked ladies on them myself.

I think mudflaps with Yosemite Sam and his guns would match your floor mats a bit better.

And while we're talking about intakes, I think some fender vents (a la older Buicks) would be in order.
Old 04-13-16, 03:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caha14
I think mudflaps with Yosemite Sam and his guns would match your floor mats a bit better.

And while we're talking about intakes, I think some fender vents (a la older Buicks) would be in order.
All of the above!
Old 04-13-16, 10:38 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's the point. Who cares if they know it's a V8? You know. That's all that matters. That's part of its understated elegance.

The same reason why you don't see "Lexus" on the trunk of the LS/LX......Just the subtle/understated/"you know what I am"...."LS 460"/"LX 570"
Old 04-14-16, 06:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AustinHusk

The same reason why you don't see "Lexus" on the trunk of the LS/LX......Just the subtle/understated/"you know what I am"...."LS 460"/"LX 570"
Lexus removed that emblem from everything in 2011 because they decided that they had reached a point where just the L logo told
People in the US it was a Lexus (other markets still have the "Lexus" emblem.
Old 04-14-16, 06:42 PM
AxleBrick
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay. the naked stripper chick mudflaps exude class. I saw an F150 with the chrome naked chick
emblem in the middle of the tailgate in lieu of the Ford emblem and a pair of 'Truck Nuts' dangling
from the trailer hitch. That...that is classy I don't care who you are. Besides being a total chick-magnet.

Last edited by AxleBrick; 04-25-16 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-14-16, 07:08 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus removed that emblem from everything in 2011 because they decided that they had reached a point where just the L logo told
People in the US it was a Lexus (other markets still have the "Lexus" emblem.
Hmm, Looks like i'll be doing a partial debadge.
Old 04-16-16, 05:21 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

I like the look of the emblem on the fenders, but the rear is too big in my opinion. But I do get a laugh out of the thought the car needs to be subtle, you want subtle? Then don't drive around in an $80,000 dollar Lexus. A couple badges isn't going to take that "refinement" away.

It's a big expensive car, most people realize this unless they are blind (especially your neighbors and co-workers). If you're really interested in blending in, buy a Camry.

Last edited by Doublebase; 04-16-16 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-16-16, 07:47 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I like the look of the emblem on the fenders, but the rear is too big in my opinion. But I do get a laugh out of the thought the car needs to be subtle, you want subtle? Then don't drive around in an $80,000 dollar Lexus. A couple badges isn't going to take that "refinement" away.

It's a big expensive car, most people realize this unless they are blind (especially your neighbors and co-workers). If you're really interested in blending in, buy a Camry.
As I said earlier, I think the same - good on the fenders and too big on trunk. Interestingly, though, I just saw a newer S600 (hadn't seen one in a while), and it has huge 'V12' badges on the fenders, and they don't look bad at all!

On the subtlety part, you have a point. Interestingly, however, Lexus has always seemed to pull off the luxury look in a somewhat understated manner (relative to the competition). Funny enough, I've had more than one person comment on my 600h and use that same word: understated. I do love that it doesn't usually blend in (i.e., it sticks out of parking spots a foot longer than most cars, and it's typically the only LS [and most definitely the only 600])
Old 04-16-16, 08:46 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
As I said earlier, I think the same - good on the fenders and too big on trunk. Interestingly, though, I just saw a newer S600 (hadn't seen one in a while), and it has huge 'V12' badges on the fenders, and they don't look bad at all!

On the subtlety part, you have a point. Interestingly, however, Lexus has always seemed to pull off the luxury look in a somewhat understated manner (relative to the competition). Funny enough, I've had more than one person comment on my 600h and use that same word: understated. I do love that it doesn't usually blend in (i.e., it sticks out of parking spots a foot longer than most cars, and it's typically the only LS [and most definitely the only 600])
When I bought mine I wanted something nice, but I didn't want something kind of show offy. As soon as I drove it to work I realized that wasn't the case; as the comments started to come out, but hey, no big deal. It's a beautiful car...I knew that going in...and it's expensive...I knew that too.

As far as the V8 badges go, keep in mind 50% of the people on the road don't even know what a V8 is. It means nothing to them, but they know what Lexus stands for, just like they know what BMW and Mercedes means...it means high end. The V8 means something to car people - I get asked all the time...what does that thing have for an engine, by car people. All the time. And I tell them it's got an 8, and they tell me they thought it had a 6. So I think the V8 badges look pretty cool. Nothing crazy. Nothing that screams "look at me".

It's not like we are talking about putting racing stripes down the hood.
Old 04-16-16, 12:06 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey, I like them. To each their own. The most important thing is if Roadfrog likes them and I'm sure he does.

Compared to some of the blinged-out LS' out there, these badges are mild to nothing imo. He has something unique on top of already unique car considering the rarity. This car is my first V8 (and one of the reasons I purchased it) and frankly, if it came with those badges, I wouldn't have any problems with them at all.
Old 04-17-16, 07:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doublebase

Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's showy. Lots of expensive things aren't showy. I promise you if you roll up to somebody in an LS and in a Jaguar XJ or a Maserati Ghibli the reaction will be different. The Jag is much showier, as is the Maserati obviously. Must more ostentatious. Despite the fact that either may very well cost less than the LS. If it's an S Class or 7 Series obviously it's the same thing, those cars do in fact cost more though.

One of the big reasons I chose the LS is because it's a very well built car that offers a great driving and riding experience, it shows that you're a successful person certainly but it doesn't bang that over people's heads. In my business that's the way you want to be. The LS is perfect for that sort of thing.

If you wanted a car that was in your face about emblems showing what kind of engine it has or big exhausts and exposed brakes with painted calipers or whatever, those cars are out there. When you do stuff like this to THIS car, IMHO it looks like it's driven by an 18 year old who has inherited their fathers Lexus and is trying desperately to make a car that isn't sporty and youthful, somehow sporty and youthful. It just doesn't suit the character of the car at all.

To each their own, but opinions were asked for so there it is.
Old 04-17-16, 09:21 PM
younglad
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's showy. Lots of expensive things aren't showy. I promise you if you roll up to somebody in an LS and in a Jaguar XJ or a Maserati Ghibli the reaction will be different. The Jag is much showier, as is the Maserati obviously. Must more ostentatious. Despite the fact that either may very well cost less than the LS. If it's an S Class or 7 Series obviously it's the same thing, those cars do in fact cost more though.

One of the big reasons I chose the LS is because it's a very well built car that offers a great driving and riding experience, it shows that you're a successful person certainly but it doesn't bang that over people's heads. In my business that's the way you want to be. The LS is perfect for that sort of thing.

If you wanted a car that was in your face about emblems showing what kind of engine it has or big exhausts and exposed brakes with painted calipers or whatever, those cars are out there. When you do stuff like this to THIS car, IMHO it looks like it's driven by an 18 year old who has inherited their fathers Lexus and is trying desperately to make a car that isn't sporty and youthful, somehow sporty and youthful. It just doesn't suit the character of the car at all.

To each their own, but opinions were asked for so there it is.
That's great but everybody has their own taste in cars. Some people modify, some dont.That's what makes world so special.

Quick Reply: Flame Suit On.....What ya think?