LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Flame Suit On.....What ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-16, 09:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by younglad
That's great but everybody has their own taste in cars. Some people modify, some dont.That's what makes world so special.
I'm not saying don't modify...i'm just saying that modifications to a car of this caliber should me more than stick on badges, etc. There are a lot of modified cars here that are very well done, its not my thing but I can appreciate the quality of what has been done and the energy and money that goes into it. This is quite frankly ricer stuff thats best left to a Civic IMHO.
Old 04-18-16, 05:33 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's showy. Lots of expensive things aren't showy. I promise you if you roll up to somebody in an LS and in a Jaguar XJ or a Maserati Ghibli the reaction will be different. The Jag is much showier, as is the Maserati obviously. Must more ostentatious. Despite the fact that either may very well cost less than the LS. If it's an S Class or 7 Series obviously it's the same thing, those cars do in fact cost more though.

One of the big reasons I chose the LS is because it's a very well built car that offers a great driving and riding experience, it shows that you're a successful person certainly but it doesn't bang that over people's heads. In my business that's the way you want to be. The LS is perfect for that sort of thing.

If you wanted a car that was in your face about emblems showing what kind of engine it has or big exhausts and exposed brakes with painted calipers or whatever, those cars are out there. When you do stuff like this to THIS car, IMHO it looks like it's driven by an 18 year old who has inherited their fathers Lexus and is trying desperately to make a car that isn't sporty and youthful, somehow sporty and youthful. It just doesn't suit the character of the car at all.

To each their own, but opinions were asked for so there it is.
Well I agree, opinions were asked for, but I also think opinions can/should be debated. It's part of the overall experience here. And I disagree.

I certainly agree that things like painted calipers, rims, fake antennas, fancy valve stem tips, etc...do kind of flare up the vehicle. The OP does do a few of those things, it's his choice, some like it, some don't. No big deal. But I think the V8 emblem on the fender is pretty subtle - and it's the engine in the vehicle. Also I think the placement of it is pretty cool - out of the way/understated - not so much on the trunk lid.

People do these things to vehicles, any vehicle. Half the cars on the road have some sort of emblem or sticker or bumper sticker, on them. People personalize to a certain extent. In my opinion what road frog did looks pretty subdued...almost looks factory to me.

That's just my opinion. I don't think it's showing off, or rubbing anyone's nose in the car at all.
Old 04-18-16, 06:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have no problem debating opinions at all, in fact I enjoy it.
Old 04-18-16, 06:11 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

One interesting way to look at the badging issue is to ask: If the LS460 came already badged from Lexus like roadfrog's car (minus the V8 trunk badge), would people critique the V8 side badging, or would they just tend to accept it as a natural part of the car's design? My guess is that most would accept it.
Old 04-18-16, 06:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gbp
One interesting way to look at the badging issue is to ask: If the LS460 came already badged from Lexus like roadfrog's car (minus the V8 trunk badge), would people critique the V8 side badging, or would they just tend to accept it as a natural part of the car's design? My guess is that most would accept it.
We'd accept it sure, some people would remove them though as they do the badges it has now. Even Lexus reduced the number of badges on he car in 2011. Doesn't change the fact though that adding badging and pretending its factory is a part of the ricer modification culture. When I look at this it's the thing that comes immediately to my mind.
Old 04-18-16, 07:09 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I have no problem debating opinions at all, in fact I enjoy it.
Yeah I do too.
Old 04-18-16, 06:24 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts

I am in the "less badges" is better camp. Since LS460s are all "V8"s not sure what that offers.

On the LS460, though, the "F-Sport" badge (on the front fenders) does signify it is not a "base" model. We have a base RWD version so I do not know if a badge was used to identify the AWD ones or not.

on the SC there were quite a few mods done and I thought about dropping the trunk badges (after eliminating the front bumper L logo badge) but instead opted to switch from chrome to black. Even before the body kit mods a lot of people did not know what a first gen SC was so the badges on the trunk gave a clue.

Opinions and debates are fun but in the end it is up to the owner what they want to do with their car and the rest of us can think whatever.....
Old 04-18-16, 09:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The AWD models have a small AWD badge in the location where his V8 badge is on the trunk.
Old 04-24-16, 07:53 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
My wife was laughing at me when I opened the UPS box. Later I called her on my way to the poolhall to tell her how much more power it had now.
Post some pics when you get them on.

I'm still debating on removing the rear badge. As for the "F Sport" emblems. I'm a little embarrassed to admit.......I considered them!
Old 04-25-16, 07:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'd put the F Sport emblems on it before I put these V8 badges on it.
Old 04-25-16, 07:56 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed. Particularly on a pre-F Sport, Sport model.

Not that i'd do that.
Old 04-25-16, 12:49 PM
AxleBrick
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, since we're all adults here who can debate in a civilized manner
tell me how this isn't contradictory to your opinions of adding badges?

You would put an F Sport badge on a LS that isn't an F Sport
before you'd put a V8 badge on an LS that is in fact a V8?
Old 04-25-16, 12:57 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by AxleBrick

Make sense to some but I'll go with the V8 badge.

Last edited by dlbuckls10; 04-25-16 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-25-16, 02:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AxleBrick

I wouldn't add any badges myself, but at least the F Sport badges go with the car and IMHO would look more natural than V8 badges from an entirely different model. I said I would add the F Sport badges before I added these V8 badges. As in I would cut off my left arm before I cut off my right arm. I'm not gonna cut off either arm, but if I had to I would choose the left one.

If you guys want to stick a bunch of badges on your cars, go for it...not sure why so much effort is being put forth to try and turn my thinking around on this. Sorry, I think its cheesy and you're not going to change my mind.
Old 04-25-16, 03:02 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

As in I would cut off my left arm before I cut off my right arm. I'm not gonna cut off either arm, but if I had to I would choose the left one..
If you cut off one arm you're gonna need some help cutting off the other.

Quick Reply: Flame Suit On.....What ya think?