LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Air filter box mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 08:50 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

This is a common discussion I've seen in many other forums, other brands. As long as people are ignorant of what this filter can do, they'll still give it a try.
Old 07-07-16, 04:00 AM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So what does this say about the F Sport filter which allows increased air flow?
Does it mean it allows more particulates into the engine,.... I wonder?
Old 07-22-16, 07:54 AM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone running the K&N filters in their F-sport ???
Old 07-22-16, 09:08 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by TriniGS
Anyone running the K&N filters in their F-sport ???
Google "K&N Filter problems".

In short, these kind of filters can caus more harm than they're worth.Personally, I had some very scary oil analysis reports from Blackstone Labs when I ran a K&N in my Powerstroke diesel F350. Results returned with high levels of silicates (ie: sand). Needless to say, that's not good. There are reports of fouled MAF sensors in vehicles with them as well. Other issues include over-oiling. The consensus among most "experts" is that a quality OEM (Mahn, Wix, etc) are a far better option. Why would one install a K&N anyway? There's certainly no performance increase.

Old 07-22-16, 10:02 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Koolsport
So what does this say about the F Sport filter which allows increased air flow?
Does it mean it allows more particulates into the engine,.... I wonder?
i have an f-sport and don't think my intake is any different than the regular one
Old 07-23-16, 06:25 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Air filter box mod

Just leave well enough alone..car has two air filters and gets plenty of air
The following users liked this post:
Chaos236 (03-19-17)
Old 07-26-16, 01:43 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
After sending in my oil sample to Blackstone, my report commented on an unusually high silicate level. Silicate of course, is SAND. Needless to say, that's not good. Out came the K&N and back in went the paper filter. I don't need to save 20 bucks every two years on a filter for essentially ZERO performance increase.
I think the point as above has been made. I want to comment, I believe I had some benefit from a K&N filter in one instance. And that was on my racebike, back in the day. But that engine was banging the rev limiter at 16,000 rpm, shall we say ... frequently. And compared to my LS engine, that racebike engine was disposable. So, more dirt in that engine was not an issue.

That engine was much more airflow dependant. Everything was small (in comparison to the LS engine). It needed air. I'm not a small guy, and I could pull on some guys the size of horse jockeys running the same bike. Could have been more than *just* the K&N. Lots of "tuning" on those bikes back then went the wrong way. Mine was mostly stock, but maintained diligently through the course of racing too.

The point is, I think the K&N has some merit. On a very high rpm disposable type of engine, I think it could help. On an LS engine, in my opinion, it not appropriate.

7milesout
Old 07-26-16, 01:50 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
I think the point as above has been made. I want to comment, I believe I had some benefit from a K&N filter in one instance. And that was on my racebike, back in the day. But that engine was banging the rev limiter at 16,000 rpm, shall we say ... frequently. And compared to my LS engine, that racebike engine was disposable. So, more dirt in that engine was not an issue.

That engine was much more airflow dependant. Everything was small (in comparison to the LS engine). It needed air. I'm not a small guy, and I could pull on some guys the size of horse jockeys running the same bike. Could have been more than *just* the K&N. Lots of "tuning" on those bikes back then went the wrong way. Mine was mostly stock, but maintained diligently through the course of racing too.

The point is, I think the K&N has some merit. On a very high rpm disposable type of engine, I think it could help. On an LS engine, in my opinion, it not appropriate.

7milesout
K&N is best for recycling filter instead of buying disposable.
Old 08-02-16, 08:47 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Just leave well enough alone..car has two air filters and gets plenty of air
Indeed.

I just don't get why anyone would want to mess with an LS460's air filters or intake tract. It's an ultra luxury car, not a Mustang (and I've owned plenty of Mustangs back in the day). There is no measurable HP gain to be had. Of course a bigger question is why would anyone go this route to pursue a perceived 5-10hp on a LS460?

I didn't mess with the stock airbox on my Subie STIs, and I certainly am not going to mess with the airbox or use a K&N in my 911 Turbo. K&N issues span all breeds! I do have a premium K&N type filter on my Harley Road King, but it's rarely driven...and I'm not too too concerned with accelerated engine wear on my 11K mile garage queen.

Last edited by seanl; 08-02-16 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-02-16, 10:09 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Caution; rant:
If you like the engineering of the LS, why second-guess certain aspects of it? All the validation testing of the engine was done using 0W20 oil and paper air filters, yet people still will second-guess the people who engineered the entire car and use crappier-than-OEM aftermarket stuff designed by people who have far less knowledge than Toyota engineers. And who won't help them when oil consumption starts increasing earlier than they expected. Wait until the PC-11 oils are introduced, like SAE16. Everyone will start second-guessing the use of these new oils because they are "too thin". People will confuse viscosity with shear resistance, and ignore the fact that lower viscosity oils make the bearings run cooler (higher mass flow rate at a given oil pressure, extracting more heat from the bearings).
I never have a problem finding the 0W30 and 0W20 oil jugs on the shelf during a sale at Walmart, where the 5W jugs are usually sold out. Maybe I should stop ranting so I can continue to enjoy the abundant supply of the optimal-weight oils.
Old 10-10-16, 01:50 AM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A quick update on air filter box - I decided to do the same for mine, but here's the "problem" - this type of filter seems to be installed on USA models only (probably more strict requirements for emissions?). Mine is EU version, and it hasn't such filters. The car was bought from dealer, so I know these filters weren't removed previously. No any sign of extra filters ever being there.
Old 03-05-17, 10:08 AM
GaborL
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jafoo
I know many people argue about installing a K&N style filter is better than a stock filter. I have no arguments about that of which is better or which is better air flow (air flow being the key subject). K&N are nice, I do have one in my GX470 due to the amount of off-roading I do with it. Just clean and reuse. But before you go too deep thinking about better air flow; look in your air box and you will notice a stock carbon filter on the top unit that is not replaceable. This unit is major air restriction.

I am just giving everyone a tip to try, if you don't like the idea then simply don't do it. I believe this carbon filter is for gas vapors leaking back into the air. I do have emissions by me and all of my vehicles and my friends vehicles we done this on have had no issues from emission tests or engine lights. We have done this on Toyota, Scion, and Lexus vehicles. I have done this on my 2007 GX470 at 79K and now has 138K and never had an issue. My 2009 LS460 is where the pic's are from and did it 6 months ago with no issues. LS is using OEM style filters, GX has K&N. NOTE** if you use K&N careful on the amount of oil so you do not get the MAF sensor full of oil, without this filter you might get excess oil on sensor (I oil and let it set for a few days, dampen off with towel before installing).

Steps: (sorry I was not able to type by pic's)

First pic is the filter on the top air box. Remove from car and set on the bench.

You will find little melted rivets that attach the filter. I used a razor blade and cut the edges off. Take a small flat screw driver and gently pry up. Be cautious so you do not damage the box edge that seals to the bottom box, do not worry about the carbon filter you are removing.

You can now see how much air flow this filter restricts. Now put top box back on, save filter to make you feel better if something happens. Repeat for other air filter box.
So, just a foreword, I've done this "eliminate the carbon filter" mod to my 3 most recent cars and I gotta say, I love it. I do notice a little low end torque increase that of course comes with a little V8 rumble. My only concern is, on my current car (LS460L) I just removed these carbon filters and added K&N drop-in filters and a couple days later the car threw up a CEL, Check VSC, and traction light. Went to a local AAP, read the code which was a P010F which is along the lines of "mass air / value" something, I can't remember.
I reset the light just now by pulling the battery while I performed some cleaning of the throttle body and MAF sensors, but it was the second time these lights came back.
I know these cars are sensitive AF, I'm just wondering if anyone ever ran into these issues/codes...
Old 03-05-17, 10:44 AM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GaborL
So, just a foreword, I've done this "eliminate the carbon filter" mod to my 3 most recent cars and I gotta say, I love it. I do notice a little low end torque increase that of course comes with a little V8 rumble. My only concern is, on my current car (LS460L) I just removed these carbon filters and added K&N drop-in filters and a couple days later the car threw up a CEL, Check VSC, and traction light. Went to a local AAP, read the code which was a P010F which is along the lines of "mass air / value" something, I can't remember.
I reset the light just now by pulling the battery while I performed some cleaning of the throttle body and MAF sensors, but it was the second time these lights came back.
I know these cars are sensitive AF, I'm just wondering if anyone ever ran into these issues/codes...
I've done the mod and haven't got any codes. Have you tried replacing back to your stock air fliters and resetting the code to see if the cel pops back up?
Old 03-06-17, 12:53 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

mattbeeezy - I'm wondering if this mod might enhance the exhaust note in conjunction with that Oliver guy's Exhaust Vent product. You may know.

Do you have any comment? Did you notice any audible difference before / after the carbon filter deletion (CFD ).

I'm about to do my engine filters, and while I'm in there, I may yank the carbon part. If I remember right, the carbon portion is a second portion. If I have any issues, they'll go back in.

Jason
Old 03-06-17, 01:32 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by GaborL
The post you quoted specifically addresses problems with the MAF when you use K&N filters with oil. What more are you looking for?

Quick Reply: Air filter box mod