LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Exhaust Experiment...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 01:33 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So I guess you aren't looking for any new testers? I could offer some comparison to what it sounds like vs a full muffler delete plus j pipes.
Old 05-24-16, 01:37 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

litesoarer - I'm fresh out of samples. But ... you're running the muffler delete & J-pipes now? I'd have to believe mine would be very very quiet compared to that set-up. I'm assuming yours is very loud.

And if you have a full muffler delete, you'd have to put the mufflers back on, to use my Vents as intended. I think that would require a lot of work on your part. Am I wrong about that?
Old 05-24-16, 01:43 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 7milesout
litesoarer - I'm fresh out of samples. But ... you're running the muffler delete & J-pipes now? I'd have to believe mine would be very very quiet compared to that set-up. I'm assuming yours is very loud.

And if you have a full muffler delete, you'd have to put the mufflers back on, to use my Vents as intended. I think that would require a lot of work on your part. Am I wrong about that?
It's quiet on the highway, moderately loud at half throttle on up and absolutely screams at full throttle.

Putting the mufflers back on would only require me cutting the current set of pipes at the weld point and cutting a new piece of pipe to the mufflers which would be reattached.

Easy enough to do as I've been looking to cut down on the part throttle noise.
Old 05-24-16, 04:42 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

With my muffler delete, it was RIDICULOUSLY loud. Highway drone was atrocious. But at idle and slight revs? Ohhhh my.....sweet.
Old 05-25-16, 09:46 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pre-Order Sign up! I'm in!
1. GR6RR
Old 05-25-16, 10:50 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
With my muffler delete, it was RIDICULOUSLY loud. Highway drone was atrocious. But at idle and slight revs? Ohhhh my.....sweet.
Possible candidate for welding in some "J Pipes" to eliminate the dreaded drone?
I had a severe drone on my SRT Charger (SLP after market cat back) that it was painful to drive on the highway because of the drone....... I installed a "engineered" cat back made by Corsa and it is great sounding and drone free.
I am anxiously waiting for reviews on these exhaust vents.
Old 05-25-16, 12:59 PM
AxleBrick
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

@ 7milesout , I am pleased to see you're moving forward with this.
I find it's simplicity and subtle change from OEM very appealing.
It seems you've put a good deal of thought into this and designed
a product that caters to those like myself who are very hesitant to
drastically modify something that's been engineered as meticulously as our LS.
I'll be looking forward to it.
Old 05-25-16, 02:05 PM
7milesout
Advanced

GR6RR - You are actually #2! I was PM'd a few days ago! Do me a favor, PM me.

Copy / Paste the below into your PM to me:
  • Full Name
  • Address to ship Exhaut Vents
  • Best email address to contact you

Anybody else, can follow suit if you care to. I will communicate to your email address(es) before I make a move, to confirm you're still down with your Pre-Order. I'm not going to surprise anyone.

I'm not sure how to take payment ... as I've not done so before. Any suggestions? I'm all ears.

@Chuck: I believe roadfrog only had his mufflers off (and drove it like that) when replacing his old corroded mufflers. As I recall, he only drove it a day or 2 and put his new mufflers on.

@AlexBrick: You've hit the nail on the head, and stated it elegantly. I like litesoarer's set-up. I bet it sounds AWESOME. But it's not something I would want to run every day. Maybe only to some kind of event, where most cars would be expected to be loud, and that would be it. If I drove it to work like that, I'd have a lot of people going, "Why? "

My set-up, you can still "drive it to church," or drive into a campground after dark and NOT have campers hating you.

7milesout
Old 05-25-16, 02:57 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use paypal for transferring, sending and collecting payments.

If you send as a gift, I believe there is no fees, just need to trust who you are doing the transaction with...

Sent as payment for a product, you as the receiver will have to pay some percentage.

I'll send you my info in PM shortly.

2nd 1st.. who cares hahaha let's get this rollin!
Old 05-25-16, 03:26 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I'll second Paypal. They make these sorts of things relatively painless and add a degree of protection for the buyer AND the seller. After that I'd recommend e-transfers through banks online.

With respect to my muffler delete....yes. I removed the mufflers and tailpipes. It was for a few days while I waited for my days off to replace them due to rotting.

I've heard that deleting the resonators and leaving the muffs and tailpipes on can render a nice sound. Any comments?
Old 05-25-16, 04:30 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

I'll second Paypal. They make these sorts of things relatively painless and add a degree of protection for the buyer AND the seller. After that I'd recommend e-transfers through banks online.

With respect to my muffler delete....yes. I removed the mufflers and tailpipes. It was for a few days while I waited for my days off to replace them due to rotting.

I've heard that deleting the resonators and leaving the muffs and tailpipes on can render a nice sound. Any comments?
The resonators soften most of the snap, crackle and pop. So if you want a more raw sound, then by all means. These mufflers are absolutely too robust to let the good stuff through though so all you'd get is a rougher exhaust sound out of it.

I got a small video inside the car going full throttle. I plan on getting some exterior video soon.

Old 05-25-16, 04:37 PM
7milesout
Advanced

I would be interested in hearing the sound. But this would be a straight pipe(s) replacement for the resonator section. And it is a big section. I'm not sure if there are any sensors in that portion or not (probably not).

I don't know the sound, so I make no comment there. Might be great, might not. But it would CERTAINLY be more difficult & costly than my Exhaust Vents.

litesoarer - Is that video with the resonators removed and straight piped?

7milesout
Old 05-25-16, 04:50 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

straight pipe + j pipe.
Old 05-25-16, 05:17 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Well.....I just got a message from my shipper/receiver in Sumas WA. Looks like my parts arrived! I'll drop across the border after work tonight and pick them up. I'm off Friday Sat and Sun, so I should have them installed pretty quick. Stay tuned!
Old 05-26-16, 04:01 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Got the package yesterday. Right off the hop, I can tell that this is quality. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was certainly pleasantly surprised that the pieces are top-notch. No, 'I made these in my mom's basement', appearance here. LOL.

I'm looking forward to installing them.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Experiment...