LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cleaning the enginebay

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-16, 01:48 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

You are correct with it attracts dust. I also have 303, but I use it primarily for exterior vinyl and rubber. I will give it a try on the engine bay now. Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-01-16, 02:57 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I can tell you what I do (and many others) on our LS. I do this several times a year:

1. Remove all the engine covers
2. Spray a 50/50 mix of all purpose cleaner all over the engine and let it soak for 2-3 mins. (I use Purple Power or Simple Green). I make NO effort to avoid electrical connectors or anything else.....engines are designed to get wet and all connectors are gasketed.
3. After the 3-5 min soak, I use a garden hose and trigger sprayer to hose everything off.
4. Spray a protectant spray such as 303 Aerospace or other quality product and just let it sit (no wiping or anything). After a few hours, the engine will literally look brand new.

Keep in mind that all the above is done on a COOL engine.

I do this on all my cars several time each year. You can LITERALLY eat off my car's engines. When it comes time to do any service, it's nice to do so on a clean engine. Being able to spot leaks, etc is an added benefit of a clean engine.
Hey Chris is the Simple Green strong enough to just be sprayed and not agitated at all?
Old 05-01-16, 04:58 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Hey Chris is the Simple Green strong enough to just be sprayed and not agitated at all?
I'm not Chris (and don't mean to high jack the thread) but here is my answer:
Depends on how dirty your engine is....... Most engines that I have cleaned need to have the SG agitated with a brush to loosen up the crud.
Do not let the SG dry, keep the agitating brush wet with some SG from a cup or can for brush dipping.........Keep the SG moist with a light misting before the final rinse.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 05-01-16 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-01-16, 07:24 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
I've NEVER had to agitate at all....even on the dirtiest engine.

The trick is not to allow the AP cleaner to dry. There are times when I will re-apply the cleaner a couple of times in the 5-10 minutes that I allow it to sit. The application of a protectant afterwards is where it all comes together. The engine GLEAMS!

Last edited by roadfrog; 05-01-16 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-01-16, 10:27 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I've NEVER had to agitate at all....even on the dirtiest engine.

The trick is not to allow the AP cleaner to dry. There are times when I will re-apply the cleaner a couple of times in the 5-10 minutes that I allow it to sit. The application of a protectant afterwards is where it all comes together. The engine GLEAMS!
Perfect! Not a fan of forcing any cleaners where they may not be wanted. With all the salt air we have around here it might not be a bad idea to clean up the engine once a year.
Old 05-02-16, 01:42 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Washed my engine today, it went well. I used a general purpose cleaner, let it sit for four minutes, then lightly rinsed everything off. I also used a high air pressure nozzle to get the dirt and pebbles out of hard to reach areas - like someone suggested - and used it again to kind of get some of the water out of areas where it pooled a bit. Drove it 40 miles home, removed the covers and everything is clean and dry.

Wish I had done this a lot sooner, but I was always paranoid of causing an electrical problem. It looks great...I'll probably do this every six months.
Old 05-02-16, 03:13 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Washed my engine today, it went well. I used a general purpose cleaner, let it sit for four minutes, then lightly rinsed everything off. I also used a high air pressure nozzle to get the dirt and pebbles out of hard to reach areas - like someone suggested - and used it again to kind of get some of the water out of areas where it pooled a bit. Drove it 40 miles home, removed the covers and everything is clean and dry.

Wish I had done this a lot sooner, but I was always paranoid of causing an electrical problem. It looks great...I'll probably do this every six months.
Probably won't start tomorrow!
Old 05-02-16, 04:08 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Did you spray any protectant afterwards? It not only makes everything look like factory after, but a quality product like 303 will also keep everything pliable and healthy (looms, wires, rubber hoses, plastics etc).
Old 05-04-16, 01:37 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Did you spray any protectant afterwards? It not only makes everything look like factory after, but a quality product like 303 will also keep everything pliable and healthy (looms, wires, rubber hoses, plastics etc).
Honestly I didn't, I figured the whole engine gets covered up anyway with those plastic covers, but I watched some videos on it and it does make everything look really cool. I didn't realize that there was a legitimate mechanical benefit to doing it, I might buy some 303 and give it a try. It really keeps things pliable?

I can't believe I found another maintenance aspect that I'm probably going to be **** about...I'm already tuned into every other aspect of the car...fluids, paint, tires, suspension, brakes. I guess I just added another. I'm pretty OCD.
Old 05-04-16, 02:20 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Honestly I didn't, I figured the whole engine gets covered up anyway with those plastic covers, but I watched some videos on it and it does make everything look really cool. I didn't realize that there was a legitimate mechanical benefit to doing it, I might buy some 303 and give it a try. It really keeps things pliable?

I can't believe I found another maintenance aspect that I'm probably going to be **** about...I'm already tuned into every other aspect of the car...fluids, paint, tires, suspension, brakes. I guess I just added another. I'm pretty OCD.

The 303 "nourishes" the rubber parts and keeps them from drying out and protects plastic parts..... 303 is a excellent protectant that does NOT attract dust like some other "popular" protectants and I have used it for many years with excellent results and I a little goes a long way.
Spray it on the rubber parts and plastic covers then wipe it down....... That's it!
Old 05-04-16, 04:06 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, it really does. I use it on all my door mouldings etc as well. It is also gives 100% UV protection. If you haven't used it before or seen it in action, you'll likely ever use anything else ever again after you do. It ain't cheap though! Our Walmarts up here don't carry it, but I believe yours do.
Old 05-04-16, 06:59 PM
whitewater
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it really does. I use it on all my door mouldings etc as well. It is also gives 100% UV protection. If you haven't used it before or seen it in action, you'll likely ever use anything else ever again after you do. It ain't cheap though! Our Walmarts up here don't carry it, but I believe yours do.
I've found amazon to be the best for pricing.
Old 05-05-16, 11:42 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

303 is an elixir... just don't drink it!

I first learned of it 13 years ago at the Acura forum, and like Chris said, haven't turned back since. I, too, treat all seals and weatherstripping with it (beyond the vinyl), and when I do the dashboard and console and get some on the wood, it buffs out quite nicely.

This is all helpful information. I haven't taken water to my engine in ages and have instead just wiped the visible areas, especially the black covers, and then treated with 303. We may have to break this trend...