LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

iPhone USB Cable issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-16, 10:40 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default iPhone USB Cable issue

OK, not sure where to start:

I have been using the Bluetooth connection to my iPhone 6+ with no issues. The only quirk is when I have to charge my phone and use bluetooth at the same time. I call it a quirk bec. depending on when I plug the charger in I sometimes have to go back into the dashboard menu and select "bluetooth" (over "my iPhone" bec. the "my iPhone" interface doesn't show all the info. that bluetooth does). The USB cable is always plugged directly into 1 of the 2 USB ports under the arm rest.

So here's the issue: I purchased a new USB cable (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...&skuId=9200132) from BestBuy but now whenever I charge my phone (ie. plug in the cable), nothing plays back on Bluetooth! The only difference is the cable. It used to work using the Apple cable; the Insignia cable doesn't seem to work.

I know I could post this on other boards but I'm hoping someone could help here

Last edited by AustinHusk; 05-03-16 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-04-16, 10:17 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are always going to use bluetooth, get a cigarette port USB charger and plug the usb into that. When the phone talks to the car it thinks you want to send audio out of the dock connector. If you don't want to do that then you need to bring up "control center" i think its called on the phone when this is happening. you do this by swiping up from the bottom part of the screen to show you the options screen. click the bottom right where it will probably say dock connector or whatever it says and select the bluetooth device as the output option.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202769 This is what I am talking about, and how to use it. Its the airplay icon you are looking to choose to select bluetooth.

-Joe
Old 05-04-16, 11:13 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

Use the USB port(s) for non phone devices -Pods/Pads/flashdrives
USB overpowers the BT connection and it glitches as you have seen.

jamodeo is correct, charge using the 12v DC power point and let the
Media and Phone both use BT. You can even have Waze or Maps
speak through the car speakers and segue in and out of calls.

Additional benefit of the USB media device connection is the ability
to use Voice Commands - "Play Clapton" and it will find tracks in the
wired device to play. We have a early iPod loaded up with tunes and
just leave it buried under the sunglasses in the console. It's on all the
time/charges whenever the car is running/portable to rental cars...
Old 05-04-16, 02:10 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

To keep the phone/devices charged while using bluetooth use:

The shorter adapters are more flush and don't stick out. I have two adapters in the car, for the front and rear passengers to keep the devices charged on long trips.
Old 05-04-16, 05:36 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
The shorter adapters are more flush and don't stick out.
Great advice because details matter. Anyone can buy a cig plug USB adapter, but getting the right one is critical IMHO. Would you rather have one that's a gigantic eyesore or an elegant hide-away solution? Keep it out of sight and out of mind when it's not in use.
Old 05-04-16, 08:08 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Great advice! Thanks!
Old 05-04-16, 08:31 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jamodeo
If you are always going to use bluetooth, get a cigarette port USB charger and plug the usb into that. When the phone talks to the car it thinks you want to send audio out of the dock connector. If you don't want to do that then you need to bring up "control center" i think its called on the phone when this is happening. you do this by swiping up from the bottom part of the screen to show you the options screen. click the bottom right where it will probably say dock connector or whatever it says and select the bluetooth device as the output option.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202769 This is what I am talking about, and how to use it. Its the airplay icon you are looking to choose to select bluetooth.

-Joe
Thanks Joe.

OK, so I think I figured it out I plugged the orig. Apple/iPhone cable and it did the same thing, so cable issue was ruled out.

I played with it a couple of times and then figured out that it was just a simple issue of WHEN I was plugging in the cable: If it's plugged in AFTER the BT connects then it overrides BT and in the process stops/pauses the podcast! Duh. This is what was driving me nuts. I didn't look close enough to see that the podcast had stopped but even then that's just 1 part of the puzzle. The 2nd part is to then select the right interface from the bottom of the podcast app - which in my case is selecting "iPhone bluetooth" (which deselects "Lexus LS" - the USB interface). But this only happens when the cable is plugged in after BT connects. If the cable is plugged in first and then the BT connects after 4-5 secs, then no issue

On that note, a few ?s on the pic below:
1) What are those 2 white markers (shown with red arrows)?
2) Are the 2 USB ports identical (ie. USB 2.0, 3.0, only charge, etc)?
3) I've noticed that my iPhone takes very long to charge when connected to either USB port. How many amps do these put out?

Last edited by AustinHusk; 05-04-16 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-05-16, 09:12 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I import and wholesale phone accessories for a living. I would steer clear of those USB adapters off stores like 7-11 counters. The $5 cheapies. The listed power on those things are fake labels.
I would imagine the car's USB ports are 800 mAh, not sufficient enough for today's smart phones. There are apps in the store, you can measure the charging amps. I use the free one for testing.
Name brand is the way to go on these. same with cables. the cheap china cables are not MFI approved cables. You will get error messages (iphone devices only) and slow charging rates. Also, your adapter is only good if your cable is good too.
Old 05-05-16, 01:01 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Good info GR6RR.

Still looking for responses to my post #7 above
Old 05-05-16, 02:02 PM
jamodeo
Instructor

Those are the indicators for the AUX in port, kinda just looks like shape guides for telling you what kind of cord goes in there I guess.

-Joe
Old 05-05-16, 03:06 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jamodeo
Those are the indicators for the AUX in port, kinda just looks like shape guides for telling you what kind of cord goes in there I guess.

-Joe
Thanks Joe.

What about

3) I've noticed that my iPhone takes very long to charge when connected to either USB port. How many amps do these put out?
Old 05-06-16, 10:05 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

Originally Posted by AustinHusk
Thanks Joe.

What about

Sorry pal, I don't know the answers to those questions. I am guessing its usb 2 because there wouldn't be any real need for the enhanced data rate of 3.0, and I believe they both talk to the system (as in, one isn't just for charging) but I honestly don't know for 100% because I don't have two in my car.

My iPhone (6S+) charges fairly quick when plugged into my usb, but I only have one port in my 2013 and there are many variables that go into how the device charges so it will be hard for me with limited knowledge on the topic to assist. I only use OEM cords purchased directly from apple because I don't like dealing with the cheap ones since they sometimes have odd issues. I know its more expensive but I don't like the hassle of a drained phone. Have you tried just using an apple cord in there?

-Joe