LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake actuator service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18, 04:46 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I think its 159 at my dealer ship ..but I am going to bug them to warranty the actuator. I go there this Friday morning
Originally Posted by roadfrog
My dealer does this flush (with Techstream) for 79.99 inc fluid

hardly worth my effort and time to do it myself.
Old 03-10-18, 05:34 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

took my car in last friday- the service tech told me the car has to throw codes either on the dash or in techstream for them to warranty it. i have no codes on dash just light ticking sound The dealership i go is lexus of chester springs ; the head tech steve over there is a really stand up guy. He replaced my sunroof couple of years ago(goodwill) because of rubber strip cracking -we both went for a test drive / he confirms there is very light sound while braking and nothing like the bad actuators because they are louder.. he tells me lets go back and i will plug the car in and if there are any codes i will print it out and send it Lexus for warranty work for actuator. i went back with him and watched him plug this funny looking laptop in the car.
There weren't any codes for the actuator but he did calibrate the values and run couple of more abs/brakes procedures. They didnt charge anything for it The sound is about 50% better, he also showed me that there are 5 different revised models for the actuators for the LS and the cars they have replaced the actuator are not 100% noise free. He said alot of these are very sensitive to air in the system and you have to be careful even when you top off the brake oil. (which think if it i did top off the brake oil last year)
I still have 40k miles to go before the warranty expires- so not that much worried plus the sound isnt as bad after running the calibration as was suggested in an earlier post.
Originally Posted by UZ214
I think its 159 at my dealer ship ..but I am going to bug them to warranty the actuator. I go there this Friday morning

Last edited by UZ214; 03-10-18 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-28-18, 01:40 PM
Vicqlo
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

On the 2011 LS 460 AWD, is the actuator and booster one of the same? In other words, they are not two separate components, are they? Technician always states "actuator/booster" like it is the same unit. I'll know more tomorrow, but I want to be adequately informed. Lexus will install a new unit on my car. Current mileage is 36,000. I have been actively complaining for almost two years about this, and FINALLY some action. It was like pulling teeth from a lion. Honestly! The brakes were always awful from day one. Grunting, creaking and the hard pedal that almost caused me to go through a chain link fence last month. And the soft pedal that makes your heart skip a beat when you think you may rear end the car in front of you. But, I am hopeful all of this will be a thing of the past. Once the repair is complete.This forum has been wonderful, and I have certainly learned some very useful information!
Old 05-03-18, 05:22 PM
Savoykl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2010 LS460L AWD that I got in Oct last year has brakes that squawk/bark while at a stop. Sometimes it's pretty loud. They also feel a bit spongy. As soon as I apply pressure to the brake, the car starts to slow, but I have to press the brake pretty far before it slows the car down more. Luckily I have an extended warranty that is covering the brake actuator as I type this. The dealership should have it finished tomorrow. Hopefully the noise will be gone and the brakes will feel much better.

Last edited by Savoykl; 05-08-18 at 12:28 PM. Reason: To provide updates
Old 05-03-18, 05:53 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 162 Posts

I have an '11 and when I first got it I was constantly stopping short because the brake pedal is so sensitive compared to my previous car. I got used to it in a few days, and now when I drive my wife's RDX it feels like it's never going to stop!

Having gotten used to it, I really like the brake feel in the 460.
Old 05-09-18, 05:00 AM
Savoykl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dave144239
I have an '11 and when I first got it I was constantly stopping short because the brake pedal is so sensitive compared to my previous car. I got used to it in a few days, and now when I drive my wife's RDX it feels like it's never going to stop!

Having gotten used to it, I really like the brake feel in the 460.
I hope my brakes are like that after they finish replacing the actuator.
Old 06-10-18, 11:56 AM
lexfam01
Driver School Candidate

I bought a 2007 ls460 two years ago. Currently 105000 Miles w the c1391 code that came up along w the c0205 code. Those are the only two codes. I took it into my local dealer and the service guy said “oops sorry the bulletin had expired. You’ll have to pay”This is after i asked about this issue last year and was told that unless there is a code showing, there is nothing they can do. Of course I have no written record of our convo last year. Am I screwed? Any suggestions? Thanks !!

Old 06-10-18, 12:53 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by lexfam01
I bought a 2007 ls460 two years ago. Currently 105000 Miles w the c1391 code that came up along w the c0205 code. Those are the only two codes. I took it into my local dealer and the service guy said “oops sorry the bulletin had expired. You’ll have to pay”This is after i asked about this issue last year and was told that unless there is a code showing, there is nothing they can do. Of course I have no written record of our convo last year. Am I screwed? Any suggestions? Thanks !!

Unfortunately it sounds like it. Did you take it in with a brake issue and they said they can't do anything until something shows up on the dash/warning or did you just ask about it? I would call Lexus corporate, complain, complain that dealers are gouging customers on Lexus's design failure that is a serious safety issue and if they refuse or won't help you threaten to go to the media/class action lawsuit. I would not give Lexus dealerships a dime for this, I would go out of my way to find a independent and get a used actuator, not just to save money, but on principal.
Old 06-10-18, 01:25 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Unfortunately it sounds like it. Did you take it in with a brake issue and they said they can't do anything until something shows up on the dash/warning or did you just ask about it? I would call Lexus corporate, complain, complain that dealers are gouging customers on Lexus's design failure that is a serious safety issue and if they refuse or won't help you threaten to go to the media/class action lawsuit. I would not give Lexus dealerships a dime for this, I would go out of my way to find a independent and get a used actuator, not just to save money, but on principal.
Well the car is 12 years old and worth less than 20% of the original value. It’s going to need repairs. Brake actuator is one of them.

no no lawsuit needed here.

i wish it was cheaper repair though...
Old 06-28-18, 07:37 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

I just did a full brake job, (rotors/pads) front and back, I did it myself and then took the car for a brake flush /fill. I am happy to report my clicking hoping sound are all gone. The car is as quiet as it should be. I think I had air in the system and was purged.
Old 06-28-18, 02:32 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's good news hopefully it stays like that...
Old 07-19-18, 04:26 PM
steedls400
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was driving home at 25MPH (without my child) approaching an intersection, when the car in front of me makes a last minute lane change to turn at the intersection, I go to break and it doesn't break, the pedal reacts hard where it is always a soft compression. The dash immediately lights up flashing the message "Break Malfunction" "Check ABS, Check VSC, Check Brake System, not to drive vehicle due to system failure, contact deal immediately". I coast down the road and upon breaking again the whole car shakes making steering and especially turning very difficult. I take it 5MPH the rest of the way (.25 mile). Once home and parked, I try to restart the vehicle. When depressing the brake to activate the electric start, the break kicked back and the car would not start. I had the vehicle towed to the dealer where was purchased from. The dealer did confirm it was the Break Actuator Assembly (L-SB-0178-09) that had been issued a special warranty (Policy Bulletin 16-01) with a 10 year term from purchase date. Unfortunately the issue had not been taken care of with the original owner and then became a problem 8 months after I made the purchase... which is now out of the special warranty term. I am currently working to resolve the issue and hoping the dealer and Lexus will help cover the $2600 repair. More importantly I am hoping it becomes a recall because of the safety issue. I can't imagine what would of happened if I was on the freeway.
Old 07-20-18, 04:45 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by steedls400
I was driving home at 25MPH (without my child) approaching an intersection, when the car in front of me makes a last minute lane change to turn at the intersection, I go to break and it doesn't break, the pedal reacts hard where it is always a soft compression. The dash immediately lights up flashing the message "Break Malfunction" "Check ABS, Check VSC, Check Brake System, not to drive vehicle due to system failure, contact deal immediately". I coast down the road and upon breaking again the whole car shakes making steering and especially turning very difficult. I take it 5MPH the rest of the way (.25 mile). Once home and parked, I try to restart the vehicle. When depressing the brake to activate the electric start, the break kicked back and the car would not start. I had the vehicle towed to the dealer where was purchased from. The dealer did confirm it was the Break Actuator Assembly (L-SB-0178-09) that had been issued a special warranty (Policy Bulletin 16-01) with a 10 year term from purchase date. Unfortunately the issue had not been taken care of with the original owner and then became a problem 8 months after I made the purchase... which is now out of the special warranty term. I am currently working to resolve the issue and hoping the dealer and Lexus will help cover the $2600 repair. More importantly I am hoping it becomes a recall because of the safety issue. I can't imagine what would of happened if I was on the freeway.
For it to become a recall I think owners like you need to report your experience to the NTSB. The dealership is not going to push for a recall, they are just going to try to get it goodwilled or charge you if it does not go through.
Old 03-13-19, 02:32 PM
sddsdd
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately it involved pestering until they relented. Not the way I choose to operate but this was the only way to save $2000 + and get justice. Soured me on Lexus / Toyota, almost... still love my Land Cruiser, but if anything went wrong with that I have no doubt my local dealer would be just as dishonest.

Last edited by sddsdd; 03-14-19 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-13-19, 02:34 PM
sddsdd
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 1998 Land Cruiser with no brake issues. 260K miles. Lexus messed up and they then created a replacement part to fix the original bad part.

Last edited by sddsdd; 03-14-19 at 06:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake actuator service bulletin