LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake actuator service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-17, 08:40 PM
sarigd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Keith/sargid

I have scaned the documents into my laptop but I do not know how to post here on the forum? If you want to send me your e-mail via PM I will e-mail them to you.

Dennis
The dealer here is owned by the local Lexus corporate representative and both ignore it for now but I did not send any letter yet just politely requested some kind of responsibility or participation.
For now they refused but hopefully they will be more cooperative after a formal letter.
As a matter of coincidence I suffered a very bad repair service approach and result on my routine service, so it was quite a frustrating combo after almost 10 years of being their vey happy client.
Perhaps its time to change my car...
anyway thank Keith and Dennis for your support which hopefully will assist me getting some attention from the arrogant approach of the manager here.!
Old 08-12-17, 12:17 AM
dunston
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a 2007 LS 460 about a month ago. I had the rotors and pads replaced the other day and I got the Christmas Tree lights about the brakes, ABS, stability control, etc warnings and to stop and take it to a dealer immediately. I'll be calling Lexus on Monday to see if they can email me anything or contact my dealer and inform them of this, as the only dealer in my area deals with people who have money and will just pay whatever, but my bank account won't allow me to pay for a whatever bill. lol
Old 08-12-17, 10:25 AM
dunston
Driver School Candidate

Just called this morning and said the system was down and couldn't update my name with the VIN. Does anyone have a copy of the the notice I can print out to take to the dealer with me? I have an appointment today at 1pm. Thank you everyone!
Old 08-12-17, 02:02 PM
LuvmyLS
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I recently purchased a 2009 LS and the brake actuator is giving me problems. Dealer going to replace under warranty enhancement. Interesting, the dealer kept the car overnight to wait for the part. The next day he called and said that the part Lexus sent him was the same version that was in the car so he didn't put it in. He ordered a newer version of the part from Lexus that won't be in for 2 weeks. Odd that Lexus would still have the old version in their network.

Another interesting aspect of this, the dealer reset the brake system (I believe this can be done by disconnecting the negative battery terminal or disconnecting the electric power connector at the ABS unit). This provided temporary improvement to my brake issues. The brake actuator definitely "barks" less, the brake are less grabby, and the vibration isn't as bad after the dealer did this. Within a few days it was back though.
:-(
I'm very happy that Lexus is making good on this part. At nearly $4k for the parts and labor, it'd be a tough pill to swallow after recently buying the car. Other than the brake issues, the car is awesome!
:-)
Old 08-12-17, 03:36 PM
dunston
Driver School Candidate

I'm sitting in the waiting room as they are telling me the brakes had a air bubble in it and needs a flush even tho my car shows every sign of the brake actuator failing along with all the lights coming on my dash and the brakes were flushed through Lexus dealer 8k miles ago? I hate dealerships!
Old 08-14-17, 04:26 AM
LuvmyLS
Driver

Dunston: that's exactly what happened to me. They bled brakes and did a "zero point calibration", which resets the car's computer. The noise did go away for a day or two but it's back. They are going to install a new actuator when the part comes in.
Old 08-14-17, 10:21 PM
dunston
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LuvmyLS
Dunston: that's exactly what happened to me. They bled brakes and did a "zero point calibration", which resets the car's computer. The noise did go away for a day or two but it's back. They are going to install a new actuator when the part comes in.
Called and spoke to the manager today and I have an appointment in the morning to look at my brakes again. That zero point calibration sounds like what they did to clear off the codes.
Old 08-15-17, 11:07 PM
pearlLS460
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased a 2009 LS and the brake actuator is giving me problems. Dealer going to replace under warranty enhancement. Interesting, the dealer kept the car overnight to wait for the part. The next day he called and said that the part Lexus sent him was the same version that was in the car so he didn't put it in. He ordered a newer version of the part from Lexus that won't be in for 2 weeks. Odd that Lexus would still have the old version in their network.

Another interesting aspect of this, the dealer reset the brake system (I believe this can be done by disconnecting the negative battery terminal or disconnecting the electric power connector at the ABS unit). This provided temporary improvement to my brake issues. The brake actuator definitely "barks" less, the brake are less grabby, and the vibration isn't as bad after the dealer did this. Within a few days it was back though.
:-(
I'm very happy that Lexus is making good on this part. At nearly $4k for the parts and labor, it'd be a tough pill to swallow after recently buying the car. Other than the brake issues, the car is awesome!
:-)
Do you know what the correct NEW part # should be?
Old 08-16-17, 12:32 PM
LuvmyLS
Driver

I don't have it, but I will post when I have the service done.
Old 08-17-17, 07:21 PM
JH48
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I had my brake actuator replaced by the dealer with no cost. I just picked up my car from them today. Paid $900+ for brake rear brake pads and front rotor resurffing, replaced the battery and restore the headlights. But my headlights doesnt looks like it get done at all. By the way it took me 3 weeks to git my car done cause they were installed the wrong part number for my brake actuator so they need to ordered from japan.
Old 08-23-17, 08:13 PM
LuvmyLS
Driver

Just got the car back from the dealer. They replaced the brake actuator. The part number on the invoice is: 04003-45450
The entire repair was done under the warranty enhancement. The brakes feel *totally* different with the new actuator. No crunchy feel of the pedal, no pulse (felt like warped rotors), no noise when I brake hard and release pedal. Just smooth braking. Love it!
Old 08-24-17, 12:41 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Just picked mine back up from the dealer today after dropping it off yesterday.
While the Mercedes GLA loaner was meh, I must say though that their self parking feature was excellent.
It was also a surprise because it just detected the fact that I was about to park and offered itself as I rolled past an empty parallel spot to line up.
One button press and it completed the park.

The brakes on the LS are honestly night and day different and it feels awesome.
The pads certainly helped back when I installed them, but the actuator definitely has a part to play in the grabby braking action.
FYI: Only the actuator and fluid were replaced. I already had quality ceramic pads on there at about 80% new.

The brake action is much more linear now, and that strange inconsistent pedal action is completely gone (some members described it like a wavy feeling of a warped rotor).
Crawling in downtown traffic is much less annoying now as the pedal no longer has that hair-trigger feeling.
The clicking sound is also gone.

Invoice would have been ~$4500 CAD with tax.
In this case they owed me the $85 I paid to diagnose it a couple months ago before Lexus started the warranty extension in Canada.

Good to have this out of the way.
Now it's time for a good polish.
Old 08-25-17, 06:34 AM
aaauae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys ,
I imported my LS460 from USA back in 2014 , it was just 113000 miles and currently at 211000 Miles , i paticularly choose this ls460 because the Actuator was replaced in USA under warranty with upgraded one at around 30000 miles , hoping that it wont go out when i have it , now just few days back i have the ABS and all those lights go on . when i scanned it it turns out the code is C1391 which abnormal leak in Accumulator . means i need to get a new brake actuator . which costs like 1300 $ here

but the weird thing is after i erased the codes i drove like 50 miles and stopped at a gas station and the Lights go on again . and ignoring the lights i keep driving in like 30 miles the light Disappear on their own . then i drive like around 200 miles more on the same day no Lights .

i come back home drive to work again and then i stop at a gas station again to takegas the lights turn on again ... WTF , how the lights are linked to the gas station ! any suggestions ?

i scan for codes again and its same code C1391 abnormal leak in accumulator .

now you guys are enjoying free replacement , could anyone help me to see if i could even just parts from USA Lexus and i will have the actuator replaced here my self . is there a way to contact lexus USA to see if they can help me .

BTW i am in the United arab emirates
Old 08-25-17, 06:56 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Just got the car back from the dealer. They replaced the brake actuator. The part number on the invoice is: 04003-45450
The entire repair was done under the warranty enhancement. The brakes feel *totally* different with the new actuator. No crunchy feel of the pedal, no pulse (felt like warped rotors), no noise when I brake hard and release pedal. Just smooth braking. Love it!
Really is amazing the difference. Had mine replaced right around last Christmas. Thank goodness it was part of the service campaign as if memory serves, it is a $3000 plus repair.
Really glad you got it worked out.
Old 08-28-17, 11:37 PM
dunston
Driver School Candidate

My brakes still do not feel normal, especially for a LS Lexus. I feel like its a failing actuator but Lexus doesnt want to replace it until its failed. My 2013 Ford Focus work car with 177k miles brakes better than my Lexus.

Quick Reply: Brake actuator service bulletin