LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Would you purchase this exhaust mod?
Yes
76.92%
No
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Exhaust Mod Thread..

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16 | 08:31 AM
caha14
Racer

Not to further derail the discussion, but...

Originally Posted by roadfrog
You actually had me going there for a minute.....I was like, "wait....what??!!"

You know what I find REALLY disappointing though? How this community has completely eaten one of their own. I really never saw this coming.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Originally Posted by litesoarer
It's natural for there to be skepticism on car enthusiast forums. Particularly when dealing with a flagship model.
I agree with your idea broadly. However, in this case, we are not talking about a new-ish member with 10 posts who, all of a sudden, appears out of nowhere to showcase an idea. From the moment the first posts were made, skepticism did not even cross my mind, as all I could see was a true enthusiast with some real talent trying to engineer something useful (and cool) and share with the community.

I have seen, here and in other forums, situations that seem a bit shady (I can actually smell it from miles away) and would warrant skepticism; this was very, very far from that.

So, advice on how to market, enforcement of forum rules, etc. - all of that is good and understandable; the rest has been very disappointing.
Old 06-06-16 | 10:39 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

in this case, we are not talking about a new-ish member with 10 posts who, all of a sudden, appears out of nowhere to showcase an idea. From the moment the first posts were made, skepticism did not even cross my mind, as all I could see was a true enthusiast with some real talent trying to engineer something useful (and cool) and share with the community.
This.

I have unfortunately seen this happen before. It has resulted in extremely valued members suddenly dissapearing through frustration. I won't mention names, but several members here have "packed it in" due to feeding frenzies/mob mentality. I'll add that these members have often contributed valuable info and help, (including DIY's). Some of the nay-sayers.......not so much. It's one thing to be skeptical, it's another to go to the level of ridicule.
Old 06-06-16 | 11:04 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

This.

I have unfortunately seen this happen before. It has resulted in extremely valued members suddenly dissapearing through frustration. I won't mention names, but several members here have "packed it in" due to feeding frenzies/mob mentality. I'll add that these members have often contributed valuable info and help, (including DIY's). Some of the nay-sayers.......not so much. It's one thing to be skeptical, it's another to go to the level of ridicule.
Pictures of the device in question (One should know what they're putting on their car, not just what it has the potential to sound like) would have abated most of the negativity from the get go.
Old 06-06-16 | 11:10 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Pictures of the device in question (One should know what they're putting on their car, not just what it has the potential to sound like) would have abated most of the negativity from the get go.
And not just the pictures but a willingness to communicate without getting defensive might have also proved a lot more beneficial in my opinion. To date some of my other questions have yet to be answered and it seems this partnership has even more questions than answers as well. Pretty sure if more details were released there would be a lot more than 4 responses on a thread that's been viewed over a thousand times. And since 3 people have this in their cars if seems as if the only potential sales are the ones to the testers.
Old 06-06-16 | 11:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Folks, if you aren't interested move on from this... Vote when the poll gets added but please leave out the drama. Let folks that want to know about it learn more and express interest.

I'm going to ask this one more time, then will start asking folks to exit this thread.
Old 06-06-16 | 11:57 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Folks, if you aren't interested move on from this... Vote when the poll gets added but please leave out the drama. Let folks that want to know about it learn more and express interest.
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
That was a legitimate question. He said it wasn't just longer bolts and washers so that led me to believe that it was a larger piece. I understand there are rubber hangers etc but can we really squeeze in another pipe etc. without affecting the current design? That's why pictures or a sketch would've helped. Also where is this piece being installed? Behind the header? In front of the muffler, around the catalytic converter? Does it affect emissions? Cause any issues with the O2 sensors over time?
Count me in for more info. Still waiting on a response from either 7miles or Josh on my previous inquiry so I can make an informed decision.
Old 06-06-16 | 12:46 PM
7milesout
Advanced

The testers got their samples for free. I don't believe I've gotten defensive about anything. The $452 shipping premium was obvious facetiousness. And I have told all 3 guys to tell the truth, give their honest feedback. Because if these things suck, I want to know that, and all the other CL members to know it as well. Because I'm not going to be involved with people getting something that they're not happy with.

As far as not answering questions, Josh is on the left coast, I am on the right coast. He only came across this mere days ago. Between he and I, we have discussed this in enough detail that he could consider carrying these items if there were enough interest. But he nor I are going to answer questions that would require an agreement between he and I as to the answer of the question, until he and I have come to an agreement. We have NOT discussed every single thing into the minutia. It's just a waste of time unless there is interest. So therefore, some questions cannot be answered at this time.

I'm not being "elusive" as to this product and not sharing pictures. I'm being protective. Until this has either been marketed or abandoned. As for my own mindset, I'm very surprised how wide a gap there is between members. There's those who are interested, but that doesn't mean they're ready to fork over their hard earned money sight-unseen. They are simply, interested. Then there seems to be others that are seemingly interested (or why would they bother posting), but are ready to rip me a new one for various reasons, more or less because they haven't seen pictures and they don't like that.

Boy, things sure were better in the original thread that got removed. I don't think any particular member is wrong or bad, as everyone has their own opinion and mindset. But I'm *asking* for a bit of flexibility and understanding as a) this is rather new, and b) as I've had to change gears just as I was preparing to build an inventory.

Regardless of how this thread continues, I'm going to create a new video. I'm going to try to make it a before / after of various situations. Cranking, pulling away, drive-by, etc, like that. But that takes me a fair amount of time, to not only gather the various videos, but the editing is a royal PITA, and time consuming. That and I'm supporting one of my 3 sons in a full time BMX effort. Which is multiple days a week & most every weekend. And my other 2 sons don't just hang around on hooks. I'm more than a little busy. Bear with me for that video. Course I don't know where or if I can link it. But it will exist on my youtube channel at some point.

7milesout
Old 06-06-16 | 01:08 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
That was a legitimate question. He said it wasn't just longer bolts and washers so that led me to believe that it was a larger piece. I understand there are rubber hangers etc but can we really squeeze in another pipe etc. without affecting the current design? That's why pictures or a sketch would've helped. Also where is this piece being installed? Behind the header? In front of the muffler, around the catalytic converter? Does it affect emissions? Cause any issues with the O2 sensors over time?.
Dr. Jekyll, if these are the questions you're wanting answers for, I have no problem to answer. Somehow I didn't notice them. I might have been distracted on other comments, and I don't mean yours specifically.

These Vents fit WITHIN the design tolerances allowed due to the rubber mounting components. It will have no negative affect on the durability of any associated component. These Vents are installed at the rear most bolted joint, just upstream of the mufflers. That was described on the original thread, but you may not have read through all that before it was removed.

It has ZERO affect on emissions. The mod is applied too far away from the O2 sensors to make any affect on them. As far as the exhaust gas performance, it makes very little difference in how the original system operates, due to Toyota's design how their exhaust FLOWS. However in turn, due to Toyota's design, manipulating the exhaust how I have done makes an appreciable difference in how the exhaust SOUNDS. I will admit, I made some estimations on how to make my design to make it sound this way ... but I really DID NOT KNOW what the outcome would be. As in the original thread, it was an experiment. Because I did not know, I WAS LUCKY that my estimations were accurate. It partly comes from exposure / experience to designing many different mechanical devices and mechanisms, paired with LUCK.

And lastly, there is a consideration for safety with this design, such that using washers is a bit scary, even to me. And I take a lot of chances that others may would not ... like riding around on Maypops.
Old 06-06-16 | 03:48 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

You actually had me going there for a minute.....I was like, "wait....what??!!"

You know what I find REALLY disappointing though? How this community has completely eaten one of their own. I really never saw this coming.
I never saw it coming either, totally shocked.
Old 06-06-16 | 04:04 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Sounds pretty good, imo, but I have no interest in hearing what my engine sounds like so I voted no, hahaha.
Old 06-06-16 | 05:38 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Originally Posted by Littleguy
Sounds pretty good, imo, but I have no interest in hearing what my engine sounds like so I voted no, hahaha.
You replied your honest preference, that's what is needed to know. Thanks.
Old 06-08-16 | 05:51 AM
7milesout
Advanced

So guys, "The Gift" is going to be going out of town this weekend. But, she's taking my sons with her. That does however, free up a fair amount of time.

I need to get caught up on a couple oil changes, but ... I also want to get this external video done. At least the "filming" part. I could use your help!

What all would you want to see, from outside? Be as specific as possible.

I'm going to do this with the Vents installed, then remove the plates and do it all again. Then reinstall ... I refuse to live in that world again! So that each condition will be repeated twice, before and after.

7milesout
Old 06-08-16 | 08:56 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

-Tailpipe idle, rev up.
-Pull away to low, mid and full throttle as well as downshifting from speed.
-Drive by low, mid, and full throttle as well as downshifting from speed.

I think that takes care of most of it.