LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Results of my 14-month Oil Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 08:18 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Results of my 14-month Oil Experiment

This is the final installment of my unscientific oil experiment. Here is a quick recap of my experiment:
  • Purchased my 2009 LS460 (SWB, AWD, 72k mi) from a Cadillac dealership who used an unknown synthetic oil. After 5000 miles I had an oil analysis performed on the oil by Blackstone labs
  • Replaced the oil with Mobile 1 0W-20 and a Toyota filter. Drove the car for about 6000 miles under basically the same driving conditions and approximately the same mix of city/highway miles. I had another oil analysis performed.
  • Replaced the oil with Toyota 0W-20 and a Toyota filter. I drove the car for about another 6000 miles under basically the same driving conditions and approximately the same mix of city/highway miles. I had a third oil analysis performed

All three lab reports are attached. The bottom line is that the Toyota oil returned the best test results. I am not saying this definitively means Toyota oil is the best. Like I said, this was an unscientific experiment so use the results with a grain of salt. Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2nd report Mobile 1 110415.pdf (20.0 KB, 213 views)
Old 06-06-16, 10:18 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

This will come as no surprise to many here. TGMO is an extremely high quality oil with scads of additives beneficial to our motors, including moly. All of my lab results with TGMO were great too.

Thanks for the info and contribution!
Old 06-07-16, 04:06 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

I assume this is what Lexus uses for their oil changes. They also use a bardahl additive at mine.
Old 06-07-16, 06:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,963 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
I assume this is what Lexus uses for their oil changes. They also use a bardahl additive at mine.
Not always. Some dealers use different oil.
Old 06-07-16, 08:58 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

wayman - Even though you categorize this experiments and unscientific, I personally find this info very beneficial. Because it is back to back, on the same vehicle. I think it points to definite value with the TGMO.

However, I wonder if the results went the way they did (more and more positive) based on maybe your maintenance being better and more frequent than the previous owner. So maybe your maintenance is sort of "cleaning up" the previous owners "mess?" I wonder...

7milesout
Old 06-07-16, 09:18 AM
Biggotis06
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always been a big Amsoil guy, but after exhaustive research on the Toyota oil I'm sold on it. Something has got to be recognized by the longevity of these cars. I was talking to a service tech that has worked at Lexus of Shreveport/Bossier City since it's been here and he said, " he had never opened up one of these LS engines" He said they got it right with these engines, indestructible if serviced properly. He sold me on the quality of the Toyota oil.
Old 06-07-16, 09:28 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 7milesout
wayman - Even though you categorize this experiments and unscientific, I personally find this info very beneficial. Because it is back to back, on the same vehicle. I think it points to definite value with the TGMO.

However, I wonder if the results went the way they did (more and more positive) based on maybe your maintenance being better and more frequent than the previous owner. So maybe your maintenance is sort of "cleaning up" the previous owners "mess?" I wonder...

7milesout
I'm glad you find some value in this info. Your question is a good one and is precisely why this experiment is unscientific. There are a few variables that weren't controlled for and there are tons of holes you can poke in the methodology. That's why I make it clear that I'm not advocating for any specific oil. This is just some information that I'm sharing. How people use it is up to them.
Old 06-07-16, 11:09 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

After LeMans or Indy500 a racer has to pop out the cockpit and pay respects to TGMO before I buy the stuff. There must be something that the top racing teams know about oil that's not revealed in the $30 test.

Further, "Wayman28" I respect your research. Do you have any mpg data?

Last edited by superdenso; 06-07-16 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-07-16, 12:33 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Garsh - Nothing wrong with that superdenso, but our 4.6L engines are a far cry from an Indy car engine. Ours just loafs along like the character Droopy, in comparison. Our engines just play "patty-cake" with the oil compared to an Indy car engine.

I'll go so far to say that I'm switching from Mobil 1 synthetic to TGMO based on what I'm seeing. Even though it appears the Mobil 1 synthetic is good enough. Although, I have to go by a Toyota stealer ... right? That's going to suck. I have no love for a dealership (of any brand).
Old 06-07-16, 01:46 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

It looks like what happened was that the metals were gradually flushed out as he continued his oil changes with quality products. It appears the first oil that was in your car wasn't a strong oil and didn't have much in the way of additives...it also depended on sodium as its primary additive for engine protection (Valvoline likes to do this and there are others). Once the additives of Mobil 1 and TGMO took over, the results were better.

I have used Valvoline in the past (actually Carquest synthetic, which is rebadged Valvoline) and I don't think our engines like it. And I know that sounds silly, but when I use it I tend to "use" some oil between changes. I'm running Mobil 1 right now...it's a solid oil...TGMO is probably better, but with the rebate Mobil 1 has going on right now you can't beat it. I'm paying $2 dollars a quart for it. If I ever could get a deal like that on TGMO,mid load up on it.

The thing I find funny is the results from the UOA of the TGMO, it looks like they changed their formula yet again compared to the analysis's I saw last year (it looks like they went up on their moly again).
Old 06-07-16, 03:56 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggotis06
I've always been a big Amsoil guy, but after exhaustive research on the Toyota oil I'm sold on it. Something has got to be recognized by the longevity of these cars. I was talking to a service tech that has worked at Lexus of Shreveport/Bossier City since it's been here and he said, " he had never opened up one of these LS engines" He said they got it right with these engines, indestructible if serviced properly. He sold me on the quality of the Toyota oil.
I don't think you can go wrong with Amsoil either, it's a bit pricey but everything I've read and heard about it has been great.

It's good to hear that these engines are holding up well...you almost never hear of mechanical engine problems with these things (which is a good sign). The valve spring recall gave these cars and this engine a bad reputation initially, but I think we are way past that now. I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone having a problem with the valve springs since that recall...or anything else in the drivetrain.
Old 06-07-16, 04:02 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

FWIW.....my local Toyota dealer sells me TGMO 0W20 in bulk for 6 bucks/qt. That's in Canada.....maybe cheaper in US. I just bring them my empty 5 qt jugs
Old 06-07-16, 07:17 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by superdenso
After LeMans or Indy500 a racer has to pop out the cockpit and pay respects to TGMO before I buy the stuff. There must be something that the top racing teams know about oil that's not revealed in the $30 test.

Further, "Wayman28" I respect your research. Do you have any mpg data?
Fantastic question. I do have mpg data from my Fuel Buddy app. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me to share that too. Thanks for asking.

So here is my mpg data lined up with my three oil change intervals. Once again, this is hard data but be careful with what conclusions you draw. There are obviously many factors that impact mpg efficiency beyond engine oil.

1) While driving on the unknown Cadillac dealership oil and filter - 15.9 mpg

2) While driving on the Mobile 1 oil and Toyota filter - 17.4 mpg

3) While driving on the Toyota oil and filter - 17.5 mpg
Old 06-08-16, 04:17 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Originally Posted by wayman28
Fantastic question. I do have mpg data from my Fuel Buddy app. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me to share that too. Thanks for asking.

So here is my mpg data lined up with my three oil change intervals. Once again, this is hard data but be careful with what conclusions you draw. There are obviously many factors that impact mpg efficiency beyond engine oil.

1) While driving on the unknown Cadillac dealership oil and filter - 15.9 mpg

2) While driving on the Mobile 1 oil and Toyota filter - 17.4 mpg

3) While driving on the Toyota oil and filter - 17.5 mpg
My conclusion is the car is running well. These numbers seem to be within spec if you do a bit of idling or you're getting used to the low end thrust (never get used to that). Mixed driving should sit between 19-22; then the mostly hwy numbers +25.
Old 06-08-16, 04:24 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Garsh - Nothing wrong with that superdenso, but our 4.6L engines are a far cry from an Indy car engine. Ours just loafs along like the character Droopy, in comparison. Our engines just play "patty-cake" with the oil compared to an Indy car engine.

I'll go so far to say that I'm switching from Mobil 1 synthetic to TGMO based on what I'm seeing. Even though it appears the Mobil 1 synthetic is good enough. Although, I have to go by a Toyota stealer ... right? That's going to suck. I have no love for a dealership (of any brand).
I thought I was alone on an island approaching this condition: "I have no love for a dealership (of any brand)". Cars have been around since the 1800's. The dealerships should be able to win trust, charge a fair price and repair the products.

Quick Reply: Results of my 14-month Oil Experiment