LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

NAV/Radio System Spontaneously Reboots every 5 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 12:33 PM
mooondog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAV/Radio System Spontaneously Reboots every 5 seconds

My NAV/Radio system won't function at all. When I turn on the car the first thing I get is the "splash screen" (and advertisement from Jim Falk Lexus), then the warning screen. Radio would come on for a few seconds then the screen will turn black and start all over again. It's in a continuous loop.

When I hold down the volume button for 4-5 seconds, it will re-boot but it will then continue to re-boot itself every few seconds.

So is there any way to totally re-set the system? You know, like a "control-alt-delete" to start over from scratch?

I have an appointment on Friday and really don't want to be looking at the system go through this cycle every 5 seconds. It's very distracting. Plus I can't use my NAV, the radio, Bluetooth for my phone, etc...

I've searched around but didn't find anyone with the same issue. Any help would be appreciated.

It's a 2015 LS460 with the Mark Levinson system.

Thanks!
Eric
Old 06-07-16, 12:39 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

pressing and holding the volume/off button will force a reset. not turning off, press and hold until unit reboots.

There is an update for 2015+ models., (gen 8 units) check online and see if your model is included, I experienced some lock up and reboot issues in my 2015 RCF and this update corrected it:

https://securedp.lexus.com/download-app/downloads

Update Type - Operating System Your Lexus Vehicle has an available multimedia software update (Version V15A8872).

This update is designed to improve the performance of your multimedia system.
Updates include the following:
• Navigation system becomes frozen/has no response or slow response
• Resetting of the navigation system
• Display is blank after a Bluetooth™ Audio device is connected

There may also be other enhancements included in the update.
Old 06-07-16, 12:45 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by mooondog
My NAV/Radio system won't function at all. When I turn on the car the first thing I get is the "splash screen" (and advertisement from Jim Falk Lexus), then the warning screen. Radio would come on for a few seconds then the screen will turn black and start all over again. It's in a continuous loop.

When I hold down the volume button for 4-5 seconds, it will re-boot but it will then continue to re-boot itself every few seconds.

So is there any way to totally re-set the system? You know, like a "control-alt-delete" to start over from scratch?

I have an appointment on Friday and really don't want to be looking at the system go through this cycle every 5 seconds. It's very distracting. Plus I can't use my NAV, the radio, Bluetooth for my phone, etc...

I've searched around but didn't find anyone with the same issue. Any help would be appreciated.

It's a 2015 LS460 with the Mark Levinson system.

Thanks!
Eric
You have a beautiful vehicle and you shouldn't have to tolerate this annoyance. I am guessing you have had this vehicle a while and the problem cropped up only recently. Did it coincide with anything else you may have done/experienced?

1) You could try resetting the entire system by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

2) To get rid of the annoying Lexus dealer ad, go into the vehicle settings menu, select Customize Startup Image, and delete the image uploaded by the dealer. There is another thread on this site with detailed instructions for uploading your own images.
Old 06-07-16, 01:21 PM
Lexus61030
Driver School Candidate

There's a nation-wide problem with Lexus Enform that's causing the vehicle's system to crash.

No updates yet. Disconnecting battery can temporarily bring systems online, but this is a brand new problem that just started today.
Old 06-07-16, 02:57 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus61030
There's a nation-wide problem with Lexus Enform that's causing the vehicle's system to crash.

No updates yet. Disconnecting battery can temporarily bring systems online, but this is a brand new problem that just started today.
Wow, is this affecting all model years or only 2015+? I should check my 2014 tonight.

BTW, it's a relief that this "virus" is not affecting the drivability of the vehicle. I can easily imagine viruses wreaking havoc with the driving ability of autonomous cars (and maybe even networked vehicles like ours) in the next 5-10 years.
Old 06-07-16, 04:06 PM
Lakersfan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This just started happening to me today. Been on a continual loop of rebooting. I disconnected the battery. Going to see if that helps
Old 06-07-16, 04:07 PM
Lakersfan
Pole Position

And my car was at the dealership just the other day and I was told I have the most updated software
Old 06-07-16, 04:59 PM
mooondog
Driver School Candidate

Got mine fixed at the dealer. Didn't even have to get out of the car. Pulled into Torrance Lexus (in LA) and they were like "you here for the NAV issue?". "Yup". Popped my hood. Disconnected the battery. Re-connected. Started up the car and the system was doing some type of software re-load or something. Anyway, the entire thing took 20 minutes. Restarted the car 3 times and no issues.
Old 06-07-16, 05:27 PM
Lakersfan
Pole Position

Seems to have cured it for now
Old 06-08-16, 02:02 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Received this email from my local Lexus dealership this morning I think it's regarding to the software problem you are having.

Dear valued guest,

If you are experiencing a navigation and radio service interruption on your Lexus, we have just received a resolution from the Lexus technical center.

Problem:

Errant data broadcast by Lexus’s traffic and weather data service provider was not handled as expected by the microcomputer in the vehicle navigation head unit (center display) of 2014-16 model year Lexus vehicles. In some situations, this issue can cause the head unit to restart repeatedly, affecting operation of the navigation system (if equipped), audio and climate control features.

Correction:

The correction is a forced reset and clearing of the errant data from the system. Disconnecting the vehicle 12V battery for at least 5 minutes and then re-connecting the battery completes this reset.

We're currently in the process of assembling a team of associates that will expedite this repair while you wait with your car without an appointment.

If you would like to come directly into JM Lexus, we will have a team waiting on our service drive with a 10-MM wrench to disconnect both battery terminals for approximately 5 minutes.

You will be able to wait with your vehicle while this process is performed.

Please be advised that our peak times here at JM Lexus are always between 9:00 am and 11:30 am. Avoiding this time period will most likely provide a quicker turnaround. We are expecting hundreds of vehicles so we greatly appreciate your patience.

We apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused.

Thank you,

Jim Dunn

VP & General Manager

JM Lexus
Old 06-08-16, 04:17 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No problems here. Not sure if I lucked out or just didn't download any data during this time, although I distinctly remember traffic info yesterday.

In any case, I do remember an Enform update on my car as soon as my phone synced a few weeks ago I think? Thought nothing of it as it worked fine and not sure if that update has anything to do with what is being experienced now.
Old 06-08-16, 06:32 PM
Beatrice
Driver School Candidate

2015 IS 250. I'm here in NYC. This morning my screen kept resetting and as of right now, it is still not functioning. I will try a battery reset tomorrow but very annoyed at the whole thing. I need my Nav system early for work!

Last edited by Beatrice; 06-08-16 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-08-16, 08:39 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I got an enform update notice driving home from work, you have to have the enform app connected, it will advise you there is a mandatory update. I did the update, no issues, pretty sure it was to fix this glitch.
Old 05-17-19, 08:32 AM
GLR2017GX
Driver School Candidate

Default Bluetooth pairing reset

After iOS update my iPhone 10 would not Bluetooth pair with my 2017 GX even though the phone appeared on the Bluetooth list of devices on the infotainment screen. Tried to work through the problem with Lexus 800 phone number, but the tech was absolutely useless.

Through this thread I learned to push and hold the infotainment power “on” button to perform a hard reset. I did that, and then went through the Bluetooth pairing and phone sync process. Worked like a charm!