LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best brand motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-16, 07:15 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Best brand motor oil

Im quite familiar with MOBIL 1,im like if its good enough for most NASCAR drivers it has to be superb in a LEXUS,NASCAR drivers also use VALVOLINE,PENNZOIL,QUAKER STATE, etc... Now I've been reading that REDLINE,AMSOIL and ROYAL PURPLE are superior to MOBIL 1,its just very hard for me to believe that,when you think about it and if that was the case why wouldnt NASCAR and their drivers use these "so called" better oils,what do you guys think????In my opinion MOBIL 1 reigns supreme not only there oil but all there fluids...
Old 06-27-16, 07:24 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I believe in tests Toyota oil has been found to exceed Mobil 1 for our vehicles. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It supposedly has more additives

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...xperiment.html

Last edited by greg3852; 06-27-16 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-27-16, 07:42 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
I believe in tests Toyota oil has been found to exceed Mobil 1 for our vehicles. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It supposedly has more additives

Correct. Although Mobil 1 manufactures TGMO oil, it has unique additive packages (high moly for one). It is a very high quality oil. BITOG has numerous posts about it. All of my Blackstone tests have had great results. As for the other brands, obviously Amsoil is great stuff.....but WAY too pricey. Royal Purple? I wouldn't touch anything that requires a purple dye added to it to sell and market it. Plus, it gets poor reviews in some of it's product lines. TGMO is a top-tier product and can be had for similar cost. I purchase mine in bulk from my Toyota dealer for 6 bucks per liter/qt.
Old 06-27-16, 07:54 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Bob is the oil guy is a great place to research oil, I'm a member their myself, very informative.

For our vehicles I'd rank the oils like this...

TGMO full synthetic -- high moly count
Amsoil -- great additive package, lots of oils to choose from, but high in price
Mobil 1 -- historically a strong, well rounded oil, decent moly count
Kendall products have been getting good reviews
Penzoil Ultra is supposed to be a very robust oil, but it's expensive and hard to find
Castrol has a lot to choose from
Valvoline is the only oil I'd stay away from because it has virtually no moly or boron in it...I've used it and it tends to burn in my car quicker than the Mobil 1 and TGMO

^^^^Lots of useless and non scientific information right there, just stuff I've read, with a few user experiences mixed in.
Old 06-27-16, 08:03 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by greg3852

Ummmmm interesting,very interesting,did not know that,well appreciated...
Old 06-27-16, 08:07 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Bob is the oil guy is a great place to research oil, I'm a member their myself, very informative.

For our vehicles I'd rank the oils like this...

TGMO full synthetic -- high moly count
Amsoil -- great additive package, lots of oils to choose from, but high in price
Mobil 1 -- historically a strong, well rounded oil, decent moly count
Kendall products have been getting good reviews
Penzoil Ultra is supposed to be a very robust oil, but it's expensive and hard to find
Castrol has a lot to choose from
Valvoline is the only oil I'd stay away from because it has virtually no moly or boron in it...I've used it and it tends to burn in my car quicker than the Mobil 1 and TGMO

^^^^Lots of useless and non scientific information right there, just stuff I've read, with a few user experiences mixed in.
Great great information,great forum we have here,lot of knowledgeable people...
Old 06-27-16, 10:25 AM
Biggotis06
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always been a hardcore Amsoil guy for my Chevys and Dodges. Good luck in both cases. 276,000 on my old Suburban when I finally parted with it. Over 300,000 on my old Dodge pick-up. But my BMW I used BMW oil, and this new LS I'm sold on the TGMO. Lexus knows what our cars need, thus Mobil concocting a special formulation just for Toyotas. They couldn't warranty these things the way they do if they didn't believe in it. Good Luck!
Old 06-27-16, 11:29 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Biggotis06
I've always been a hardcore Amsoil guy for my Chevys and Dodges. Good luck in both cases. 276,000 on my old Suburban when I finally parted with it. Over 300,000 on my old Dodge pick-up. But my BMW I used BMW oil, and this new LS I'm sold on the TGMO. Lexus knows what our cars need, thus Mobil concocting a special formulation just for Toyotas. They couldn't warranty these things the way they do if they didn't believe in it. Good Luck!
Very well said and duly noted,much appreciated...