LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 LS 460 Transmission Dead

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 01:48 PM
fuad384
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
What I also find strange, is the fact that there seems to be evidence of an on-going leak of coolant.
I could be all the way wrong here, but its a well understood fact by any of us here, that our coolant, when it leaks and has been leaking, turns into a gunky/crystalized mess.
Perhaps its there and the photos don't show it, but I don't see anything that would indicate the leak has been on-going. There should be evidence of a leak, at least a small one, on the floor of your garage, but more so, on the inside of the cover that protects the underside area of the front of the car. There should be a large pink puddle and/or residue on the rad-side of that cover. Did he show that to you/did you see it?
I have a bit of a different experience here than some of the others regarding the water pump, because when I did mine in my garage, my torque wrench wasn't working properly and I thought all the bolts on the pump were sufficiently tightened.
When I started the car to do the rmp test, my engine temp rose, went mid-way, then kept rising.
I immediately turned the car off, looked beneath the car and saw that the coolant was leaking right beneath the area where the pump resides. Came back to the top and it was plain as day, the coolant was coming out. I checked the bolts and a few weren't very tight at all!
What I am saying is, from the photos, there seems to be a sizable leak with evidence of "coolant drips" in a few places. With a leak that seems to be that bad, the car should have over heated some time ago.
Something just doesn't seem right here...
Yeah it's amazing how we have been driving the car around for almost 3 months now after getting ther work done at Firestone and it didn't overheat until I was headed back to Lexus to get the transmission work done. Makes me think that it was something else was going on.

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Regarding Davenport, I have heard the same.
Though I am not in the area, I was doing quite a bit of research about who was not only a great indy shop, but who was familiar with the Lexus control arm issue, and the car in general (this was before I understood how relatively uncomplicated replacing the control arms were).
Anyways, Davenport came highly recommended for the area, as the Dallas location (I believe), the manager or head guy there used to work for Lexus for several years, and decided to open up a shop to provide customers a cheaper but just as knowledgeable alternative.
Sounds good I will definitely check them out.
Old 07-24-16, 09:45 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Any news on this?
Old 07-25-16, 07:48 AM
fuad384
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by superdenso
Any news on this?
Alright everyone. I just got off the phone with the service advisor at the Lexus Dealership. He said that corporate is only willing to pay $2000 of the $9900 cost of replacing the transmission. I told him that is fairly low amount for them to help out with. My wife and I are comptemplating our next move.

My immediate thoughts:
Should we contact corporate direclty? How does one go about doing that?
Is it crazy to ask them to foot the bill for replacing the transmission? (And as a compromise we could get the fuel pump gasket work done at the dealership)
Should we just have the car taken down to AAMCO to see about rebuilding the transmission or getting a remanufactured transmisison?
Should we try to dump the car? Get something else?
Get second opinion from indy shop.

Work left to be done on the car::
Fuel Pump Gaskets (both passenger and driver side)
All 8 front control arms need to be replaced (arms are fine but bushings are bad)
Water Pump/Radiator needs to be replaced again (bad work from Firestone)

Appreciate any feedback.
Old 07-25-16, 08:14 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fuad384
Alright everyone. I just got off the phone with the service advisor at the Lexus Dealership. He said that corporate is only willing to pay $2000 of the $9900 cost of replacing the transmission. I told him that is fairly low amount for them to help out with. My wife and I are comptemplating our next move.

My immediate thoughts:
Is it crazy to ask them to foot the bill for replacing the transmission? (And as a compromise we could get the fuel pump gasket work done at the dealership)
Should we just have the car taken down to AAMCO to see about rebuilding the transmission or getting a remanufactured transmisison?

All 8 front control arms need to be replaced (arms are fine but bushings are bad)

Appreciate any feedback.
Called Davenport yet?
Old 07-25-16, 08:21 AM
fuad384
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Called Davenport yet?
Not yet. Was going to make that call today.
Old 07-25-16, 08:29 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

My immediate thoughts:

Appreciate any feedback.
I am very sorry to hear the glum news. You could try to contact Corporate directly, but based on other people's experience, it could be a crapshoot. I don't see why the dealership would want to negotiate with you to foot the remainder of the transmission bill ($7700) in exchange for getting the fuel pump work done. You are better off getting the transmission done at an indy shop if the cost is reasonable. On the other hand, you cannot "dump" the car without fixing if it does not run. The CA bushings can be replaced by indy shop with parts you buy for less than $1000. You should get all the other work also done at an indy shop.
Old 07-25-16, 08:36 AM
fuad384
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by comotiger
I am very sorry to hear the glum news. You could try to contact Corporate directly, but based on other people's experience, it could be a crapshoot. I don't see why the dealership would want to negotiate with you to foot the remainder of the transmission bill ($7700) in exchange for getting the fuel pump work done. You are better off getting the transmission done at an indy shop if the cost is reasonable. On the other hand, you cannot "dump" the car without fixing if it does not run. The CA bushings can be replaced by indy shop with parts you buy for less than $1000. You should get all the other work also done at an indy shop.
Yeah it's a long shot to get the dealership to foot the bill of the transmission. Going to call Davenport to see what they say. What do you guys think about AAMCO or should I just see what Davenport says about that?

Old 07-25-16, 08:40 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that quote from dealer for new or reman transmission?
Old 07-25-16, 08:49 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Appreciate any feedback.
Do you know the break down cost for these three repairs?. As others said, control arm fix need not be done immediately or by Lexus. For water pump/radiator, did you ask Toyota dealer for the cost?. That leaves only transmission. If that cost is $4k and if Corp can foot 2K, I would take that approach.......
Old 07-25-16, 12:48 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Repost: See what the Indy charges to install it

Source a used trans. with less than 60k miles for $1500 with this search engine:
http://car-part.com/[/QUOTE]
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (07-16-20)
Old 07-25-16, 03:42 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with sourcing a used transmission and having it installed by an Indy. The LS460 isn't known for transmission problems so a used transmission with fairly low miles should serve you well. It's what I would do if I were in your shoes.
CamelKool (07-16-20)
Old 07-25-16, 09:00 PM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Definitely take it to an Indy shop, not the chains.
So much for the 'relentless pursuit of perfection'...
Funny- in my personal experience, the cars that were perceived to be reliable all had costly repairs (Avalon, Prius, etc.); while my two Jags (XJ8L and XK8) that were supposed to be money pits all ran flawlessly needing only regular maintenance.

CamelKool (07-16-20)
Old 07-25-16, 09:08 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfyLS460
Funny- in my personal experience, the cars that were perceived to be reliable all had costly repairs (Avalon, Prius, etc.); while my two Jags (XJ8L and XK8) that were supposed to be money pits all ran flawlessly needing only regular maintenance.
Statistically speaking, LS460s are extremely reliable, but there will be defective ones. Having said that, there is some evidence in this case that faulty repairs and a delay in fixing a problem may have contributed to the blown transmission.
CamelKool (07-16-20)
Old 07-26-16, 01:31 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Statistically speaking, LS460s are extremely reliable, but there will be defective ones. Having said that, there is some evidence in this case that faulty repairs and a delay in fixing a problem may have contributed to the blown transmission.
Agreed. OP has to accept some responsibility.

Not the norm I can assure you. As for "regular maintenance", that alone will put you in the poor house. I know that in the case of my 7 Series BMW, "normal maintenance" or "normal operating parameters" (when burning a qt of oil per week at 50k miles), was among the MANY reasons why I left the Dark Side.
Old 07-26-16, 02:13 PM
mdpresco
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Used Tranny - That's what I would do.

Originally Posted by WolfyLS460
I agree with avoiding the chain "repair" business. I looked at the http://car-part.com/ site. For $1200 to $1600 for a used, relatively low mileage unit plus a day's labor to change it out would be my choice, even if I had to have the car towed to the best facility I could find. I would look for someone who does performance transmissions (that's just me). Visit the shops and look around. If stuff is scattered everywhere with cars up on jack stands outside, that raises a red flag to me. Good luck in your quest.

Quick Reply: 08 LS 460 Transmission Dead