LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

"Maintenace Required"!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-16, 03:28 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 371 Likes on 251 Posts
Default "Maintenace Required"!!!!!

Okay. It may be basic to you guys, but the wife's 2014 LS460 reached some maintenance threshold. She, of course, did not tell me she was getting warnings of any kind until the yellow triangle warning light remained on in the lower left hand corner of the display and the message in the center shows "Maintenance Required".

So, like any normal person might do, took a dive into the 800+ owners manual and found the description of the message (pg 808-809) that displays and that then you go to page 732 about the maintenance. The table in page 734 is generic and not of much help. Figured out how to clear the display but that results in maintenance data being "reset' (Message changes to "Complete" and the yellow triangle no longer remains on.

I can only guess that the car wants to have the oil changed. If there is anywhere exactly WHAT maintenance needs to be performed we have not been able to find a display or a section in the manual describing what triggered the alert. I did find a very large display titled "Maintenance" with a whole list of items that appear to be the service intervals but all of them are empty of dates or mileage entries.

Car has around 25K miles on it so a tad early for the 30K service but I may resort to having my trusted independent Lexus shop perform that and see what he discovers. (The car will never see a dealership unless there are warranty items).

Thanks for any advice on steering us towards the information.....

Old 07-23-16, 03:40 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Well my model is 7 years older than yours so it may be different now, but mine came with a separate warranty booklet that shows all the service levels by age and mileage. If you don't have that booklet, you can go online to the Lexus driver's site and see your maintenance schedule there.

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/
Old 07-23-16, 04:01 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

The issue is not what the maintenance intervals are or how to track them. The solid light and message is the challenge. The wife texted the salesman that she bought the car from and he says to take it to a local Lexus dealership and they will plug in their computer to discover what has to be done.

The 2007 Honda Civic we had was much easier to decipher and translate the lights and indicators into what was needed to be done.

That is total BS....... If every time a warning light or indicator triggers and you have to take it to the dealer to find out what it is then this will not be a happy ownership experience. Neither my 1992 SC or 2001 LS have ever had routine maintenance by the dealerships. They are too far away and WAY too expensive for routine tasks.
Old 07-23-16, 04:59 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 466 Likes on 348 Posts

Just reset the service yellow light. It is just telling you it's time to change the oil. Here are the steps on my 2010 anyway

Trip Odometer on A
Car Off
Press and hold the Reset Button for Trip Odometer
Foot Off Brake
Press Start Button twice while holding down the reset button and wait for it to reset. The light will go out.
Turn Off ignition.
Done

Dennis
Old 07-23-16, 05:49 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=Duck05;9562359]The car will never see a dealership unless there are warranty items.

^^I just gave someone this advice earlier today!^^
It's sad but Lexus was different from the others in the early part of the century. Now, the parts at one dealership are 3x the price of others (all depends on your market). Some service departments are better than others...strange
Old 07-23-16, 06:02 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Strange, I love taking mine to the dealer for service.
Old 07-23-16, 06:09 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There's a 25k mile service in the manual. In my manual it just states inspect and rotate tires. In fact, every 5k there's a maintenance required in my book. I have a separate maintenance book and it's on page 53 of the warranty/maintenance guide.

One thing to note is that the intervals aren't set in stone. I just did my 5k service at 4800 miles. Well, after I got my car back, the next interval, according to my car, is 10,2xx, which is weird. Not sure the algorithm or reasoning behind the variance, but it's there.
Old 07-23-16, 06:30 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Just reset the service yellow light. It is just telling you it's time to change the oil. Here are the steps on my 2010 anyway

Trip Odometer on A
Car Off
Press and hold the Reset Button for Trip Odometer
Foot Off Brake
Press Start Button twice while holding down the reset button and wait for it to reset. The light will go out.
Turn Off ignition.
Done

Dennis
It is slightly different on the '14 but I found the procedure and the light is out....

Originally Posted by Rhambler
There's a 25k mile service in the manual. In my manual it just states inspect and rotate tires. In fact, every 5k there's a maintenance required in my book. I have a separate maintenance book and it's on page 53 of the warranty/maintenance guide.

One thing to note is that the intervals aren't set in stone. I just did my 5k service at 4800 miles. Well, after I got my car back, the next interval, according to my car, is 10,2xx, which is weird. Not sure the algorithm or reasoning behind the variance, but it's there.
This sounds like what I expected... The service intervals I suppose could be programmed into the "maintenance" screens but whether or not they'd map to the display alerts is questionable. Sad to believe the '07 Honda was more effective in this space then a '14 LS.

Thanks everyone!!!!!!
Old 07-23-16, 10:14 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
The wife texted the salesman that she bought the car from and he says to take it to a local Lexus dealership and they will plug in their computer to discover what has to be done.
Never ask a car salesperson a technical question. There are several threads here describing how little they actually know about the car. All that's needed is the warranty book or going online to see what is done at 25K mileage.

Last edited by Nospinzone; 07-23-16 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-23-16, 10:22 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Default What do you mean

Originally Posted by Littleguy
Strange, I love taking mine to the dealer for service.
Did you intend to write "love"? You mention love here and service at an independent mechanic in another thread...really

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ston-tx-3.html
(See post #45)

Last edited by superdenso; 07-24-16 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-24-16, 10:33 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by superdenso
Did you intend to write "love"? You mention love here and service at an independent mechanic in another thread...really

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ston-tx-3.html
(See post #45)
Well, it's something called nuance. For regular maintenance it is super nice to pay a little extra for that Lexus service and their good will. For a $9000 dollar job that is purely mechanical and I can knock out for 2 cases of beer and $100 in parts, yes, I'll do it myself. I'll be installing these parts on my car this week on my own:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...7&autoModClar=

I would go to Lexus for brakes too if the LS didn't have the known issues it does with the oem brakes. So yes, I love going to the dealer for fluid changes, TSB's, recalls, and diagnostics. I would surely go if I was sitting here with a $50K car with a light on in the dash and I was worried about it because I couldn't diagnose or wasn't sure of what needed to be done, like OP (and I would be shocked if they didn't just tell me what it needed for free). Does the fact that I can also wrench on my car change that? Not judging OP at all, I've done a little work on cars in my time, I'm sure the light isn't for a serious item, and the old saying that nobody will work on your car with as much care as you is generally true.
Old 07-24-16, 11:42 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Default We have a few common ideas

First, I put the wrenches to my LS regularly. I went with the following:
Akebono std ceramic pads&
Front-TireRack
128.44148CL
128.44148CR
Rear-PartsGeek
128.44149L (non-cryo)
128.44149R (non-cryo)

If all dealers charged $9k I could better understand but some charge $3k for the same control arm job. The svc dept could be the difference between someone enjoying the LS and having pure disdain for it. For what? To put more woodwork in the dealership? Add on top a botched service and out of 5 dealerships I found one worth the coin/that's a 20% score. We have to be honest as owners, the way Lexus dealerships price service and parts discourages ownership and sales. Don't worry it's the same song at Mercedes.
Old 07-24-16, 12:01 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My main problem with the dealership experience has mostly been due to negligence to inform.

Could they have told me that the car would need sensors that inflate the price of a brake job by 50% if I let the pads get a little "too low", could they have let me know on one of the several and very regular service visits that I was getting close to that mark?

In the end they made it right but I feel that when I'm paying dealership prices a little due dillegence goes a long way.
Old 07-24-16, 04:13 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by superdenso
First, I put the wrenches to my LS regularly. I went with the following:
Akebono std ceramic pads&
Front-TireRack
128.44148CL
128.44148CR
Rear-PartsGeek
128.44149L (non-cryo)
128.44149R (non-cryo)

If all dealers charged $9k I could better understand but some charge $3k for the same control arm job. The svc dept could be the difference between someone enjoying the LS and having pure disdain for it. For what? To put more woodwork in the dealership? Add on top a botched service and out of 5 dealerships I found one worth the coin/that's a 20% score. We have to be honest as owners, the way Lexus dealerships price service and parts discourages ownership and sales. Don't worry it's the same song at Mercedes.
Those Centric rears look good, I decided to go drilled on the front and slotted only on the rear so I could get the JDM street cred of non-matching brakes. I have to admit that you are correct about how they price their service, especially if I had an 80% disappointment rate with dealers then I am sure I would feel the same as you do.
Old 07-24-16, 06:57 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Default brake sensors are really cheap & low tech

Originally Posted by litesoarer
My main problem with the dealership experience has mostly been due to negligence to inform.

Could they have told me that the car would need sensors that inflate the price of a brake job by 50% if I let the pads get a little "too low", could they have let me know on one of the several and very regular service visits that I was getting close to that mark?

In the end they made it right but I feel that when I'm paying dealership prices a little due dillegence goes a long way.
They charge $170 for a $10 dollar part. That is the largest markup on a part I've ever heard of.

Raybestos Brake sensors are $10 ($35 for the S) :
Front: EWS-104
Rear: EWS-105
Rear (S): EWS-110

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=ls460+

Centric makes a sensor for the LS too, it's $30

Last edited by superdenso; 07-24-16 at 07:26 PM.

Quick Reply: "Maintenace Required"!!!!!