LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-16, 08:13 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Actually I've been using discount code TRT30 for years and you get 30% or up to $50 off for online orders. Just a tip, if you order more than one item and one of the items gets you the max discount of $50 just order the items separately so you get the max discount on all your items. For example, if you order 2 items, one for $200 and one for $50, order them separately so you get $50 off on the first item and 30% or $15 off on the second item. If you order them together the most you'll get discounted is $50 instead of $65.
Thanks for the TRT30 info. I was under the impression they discontinued the 30%
Old 07-26-16, 08:41 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
Thanks for the TRT30 info. I was under the impression they discontinued the 30%
I think they had stopped it for some time but brought it back.
Old 07-26-16, 12:58 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
side note to all the parking lot pimps... a gallon of gas is only $2.... please run the engine, it will save your amps an charging system.. a few gallons of gas is much cheaper than buying a new batt.. or new amps.. fyi amps get hot due to lack of voltage!!! also make sure u ALWAYS USE 100% COPPER WIRE ONLY!!!!!!! (companies are now selling CCA copper clad aluminum DON'T USE THIS)
Really good info. I work for a rather large electrical company. Everything Shibumi says is true. But putting it out there like Shibumi did is an eye opener, makes a person think. I do not shut the LS off when I idle because my car is still on the original Panasonic battery. And I don't want to kill it. I idled 25 minutes while waiting on my son just yesterday. And was a parking lot pimp as mentioned, made me really appreciate the ML. In my RX-7, the stereo was always an issue. I could have had it fixed nice for a few hundred dollars, but I was always more interested in spending money on it to make it either faster, or just to continue going down the road.
Old 07-26-16, 05:55 PM
jmcraney

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

I think we need to make it clear to those who might not understand, that the Optima Red Top and Yellow Top batteries are AGM (absorbent glass mat) batteries.

Our cars, the LS460s, are designed and engineered to use flooded-cell starter batteries. That doesn't mean that you can't use AGM batteries and for some owners they may be very desirable for special operating situations but without some clearance from Lexus and the battery manufacturers we don't know if this is a good idea. However, for most of us the flooded-cell batteries provide very satisfactory results as to cost, reliability and durability.

High quality replacement flooded-cell batteries from manufacturers such as Interstate, Diehard, Maxx, and others are readily available from a wide variety of suppliers.

The AGM batteries have some very desirable characteristics and they may be the auto batteries of the future. I expect that the flooded-cell batteries will continue to be the starter batteries in gasoline powered cars for several more years.

Last edited by jmcraney; 07-27-16 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
The following users liked this post:
bigsherv (01-18-20)
Old 07-26-16, 08:47 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Default Yellow is good/Idling is bad

Cars are designed for 12 volts. Sometimes a yahoo/Google search before posting can save a lot of back and forth. Now maybe Optima Yellow from the days of old was one thing, but times have changed and so has the objective of the YellowTop.

Everything about idling a car is bad news for the car itself, your pocket, and the environment. Again, this is such old news that unless u just stepped out of 1985 it's rarely debated

YELLOWTOP® BATTERIES
The YELLOWTOP high-performance AGM battery is one of the few true dual-purpose automotive batteries available. With premium cranking power and impressive cycling capability, this heavy-duty battery is also perfect for modern accessory-loaded vehicles. Low internal resistance also provides more consistent power output and faster recharges.

Optimabatteries.com
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/uploads/publication/idling_personal_vehicles.pdf

Last edited by superdenso; 07-26-16 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-27-16, 07:06 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

As I stated in another thread, Optima is no longer a reliable option since moving their plant to Mexico. There are TONS of posts and review/reports of these batteries failing early. They used to be a top-tier battery. Odyssey is still made in the US and is apparently a better option.
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (07-22-21)
Old 07-27-16, 11:21 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Originally Posted by roadfrog
As I stated in another thread, Optima is no longer a reliable option since moving their plant to Mexico. There are TONS of posts and review/reports of these batteries failing early. They used to be a top-tier battery. Odyssey is still made in the US and is apparently a better option.
So with Optima you get 3yrs free replacement with the Yellow or Red. My Reds have lasted over 6 years. During that time lights have been left on and my cars have never needed a jumpstart. My Optimas cost $.08US/day.

Last edited by superdenso; 07-27-16 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-27-16, 04:24 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
So with Optima you get 3yrs free replacement with the Yellow or Red. My Reds have lasted over 6 years. During that time lights have been left on and my cars have never needed a jumpstart. My Optimas cost $.08US/day.
Fair enough. My AC Delco Professional has 3.5 years (42 months) replacement and then pro-rated for 84 months. 100 bucks on sale. I have no personal experience with Optima, I've just been reading a lot about failures with Optimas over the last 3 years or so. If you Google "Optima Problems" it seems that it's rampant. Again, the consensus being the move to Mexico.

Last edited by roadfrog; 07-27-16 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-29-16, 05:27 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

just a heads up. the optima's are failing due to lack of charging.. every car I own has red tops. a Nissan altima coupe, my fj cruiser (the battery I took from my dead xterra....head gasket) that batt is 6yrs old Zero issues, an my 460 (which I have 2 both are 2yrs old.) but the 2nd is for audio only an is isolated when the engine is off.. so the main starting batt a red.. sits for weeks without charging an starts up EVERYTIME! I seriously suggest.. that if u do buy optima's get reds.. unless u plan on taking a seriously long drive to recharge your yellows. yes fluid filled batts are the norm from the manufacturer because they are cheaper.. pure an simple.. the Ls has tons of tech to be sure.. but at the end of the day it's a car... an electrical circuits are simple in nature.. they only get complex as they multiply..

lastly the optima's internal resistance is 1/4 that of a fluid filled batt which means less of a strain on the alternator to charge an less demand on the charging system means more power to the rest of the vehicle. remember once the car starts 100% of the power comes from the alternator. .,now if the draw on the alternator exceeds it's output.. then an only then does reserve power get drawn from the battery.. they battery also serves as a voltage stabilizer for the alternator (as it states alternating current)..

unlike fluid filled batts optima's can withstand extreme heat an cold whIle keeping their strength.. which is why they are the main batts used in Motorsports ,power sports racing.. so if professional drivers an race teams who depend on reliability. so as a daily driver...it just makes sense.. but do as u will.. all I'll say is when we have other dead batts everyone knows to call me because my optima has jump them all..
Old 07-29-16, 07:14 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Default I used to be a RedTop buyer/only Yellows brim batteries now

unlike fluid filled batts optima's can withstand extreme heat an cold whIle keeping their strength.. which is why they are the main batts used in Motorsports ,power sports racing.. so if professional drivers an race teams who depend on reliability. so as a daily driver...it just makes sense.. but do as u will.. all I'll say is when we have other dead batts everyone knows to call me because my optima has jump them all..
Nice write up/but the yellow has the following features:
  • Deep-cycle and cranking power
  • Faster recharging
  • Optimal starting power
  • Heavy-duty battery that functions well as a tractor battery or forklift battery
Old 07-29-16, 09:10 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on Shibumi1's post, the Red is the Optima to get if for the car itself. By all means get the Yellow if that is your preference

FWIW, if you go to the Optima website, it will bring back the Red when you use the car application guide
Old 07-30-16, 06:05 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1Putt
+1 on Shibumi1's post, the Red is the Optima to get if for the car itself. By all means get the Yellow if that is your preference

FWIW, if you go to the Optima website, it will bring back the Red when you use the car application guide
I'm not exactly throwing out reason or sound ideas and guides. But consider this, Lexus doesn't recommend plus sized wheels. So 20-22inch wheels are out; let's not mention 24s. Then some people have to use hub rings or spacers going even further away from OEM. So now that we understand drivers veer away from the recommended for looks or performance. The yellow 34/78 is much more battery performance for the same money (thank demand for that). The LS doesn't have a problem starting, but it does have power door latches, power locks, proximity sensors, power mirrors w/lighting, courtesy lighting, electric brake features, an alarm, and a whole host of computers that remain active when the engine is off. A red top starting battery is good enough especially if you have AAA. IMHO, I'm not interested in a jumpstart and the battery is not exactly accessible(& you can toss that weird battery protector)

A wheel is not a battery, but the same thinking applies. My car would look better with plus sized wheels, and it would look better if I'm not getting a jumpstart.

http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/optima-battery-red-or-yellow-top/

Last edited by superdenso; 07-30-16 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-30-16, 07:46 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

just a heads up. the optima's are failing due to lack of charging.. every car I own has red tops. a Nissan altima coupe, my fj cruiser (the battery I took from my dead xterra....head gasket) that batt is 6yrs old Zero issues, an my 460 (which I have 2 both are 2yrs old.) but the 2nd is for audio only an is isolated when the engine is off.. so the main starting batt a red.. sits for weeks without charging an starts up EVERYTIME! I seriously suggest.. that if u do buy optima's get reds.. unless u plan on taking a seriously long drive to recharge your yellows. yes fluid filled batts are the norm from the manufacturer because they are cheaper.. pure an simple.. the Ls has tons of tech to be sure.. but at the end of the day it's a car... an electrical circuits are simple in nature.. they only get complex as they multiply..

lastly the optima's internal resistance is 1/4 that of a fluid filled batt which means less of a strain on the alternator to charge an less demand on the charging system means more power to the rest of the vehicle. remember once the car starts 100% of the power comes from the alternator. .,now if the draw on the alternator exceeds it's output.. then an only then does reserve power get drawn from the battery.. they battery also serves as a voltage stabilizer for the alternator (as it states alternating current)..

Which model Redtop are you running in the LS as your main battery?
Old 07-30-16, 09:25 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Which model Redtop are you running in the LS as your main battery?
SC34U..it has both top an side mount terminals. .actually all my batts are SC34U's
now my oem terminals have been swapped for different ones (but that was done last yr b4 H.I.N.) prior to that I used my oem terminals the just needed to be "slightly" bent to fit... an I do mean slightly.. here are some pics.. there maybe greater details in my build thread
Attached Thumbnails New Battery-20160215_161814.jpg   New Battery-20160211_231228-1.jpg   New Battery-20140809_112601-1.jpg   New Battery-20140515_172537-1.jpg  
Old 07-31-16, 01:01 AM
superdenso
Instructor

In the following video pay close attention at the 2:58 mark:

Quick Reply: New Battery