LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How much did you save by working on your car this year?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-16, 02:46 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Welp, car started hesitating and went into limp mode with a CEL yesterday so I can now add to money "saved" on the car, lol.

Ended up being a bad coil pack so I ended up changing all of the plugs and checking the other coil packs, Ended up spending $90 on the coil pack since I got it locally and $108 on the spark plugs Also installed my brakes and did an alignment for a total cost of zero, so that helped.
Old 08-04-16, 03:29 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
WHHHAAAT!!????/ No replacement of the battery in your remote!!?? Clearly you've had better reliability than the rest of us......
Ahh!! Gosh darn it! I knew I forgot something....how could I have forgotten that headache PITA repair. First I had to source a remote battery which took all of about 30 seconds, then I had to perform minor surgery just to get the damn remote open! I sure hope it last the life of the car bc I certainly don't want that headache again. I wish someone would have told me that there is a battery in these remotes and they go bad after a while. I may not have purchased an LS had I been armed with this information.
Oh yeah, 2 tpms sensors, parts/install around $80-$90.
Old 08-04-16, 04:16 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Ahh!! Gosh darn it! I knew I forgot something....how could I have forgotten that headache PITA repair. First I had to source a remote battery which took all of about 30 seconds, then I had to perform minor surgery just to get the damn remote open! I sure hope it last the life of the car bc I certainly don't want that headache again. I wish someone would have told me that there is a battery in these remotes and they go bad after a while. I may not have purchased an LS had I been armed with this information.
Oh yeah, 2 tpms sensors, parts/install around $80-$90.
And let's not forget those damn wiper blades!
Old 08-04-16, 04:23 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Littleguy
Welp, car started hesitating and went into limp mode with a CEL yesterday so I can now add to money "saved" on the car, lol.

Ended up being a bad coil pack so I ended up changing all of the plugs and checking the other coil packs, Ended up spending $90 on the coil pack since I got it locally and $108 on the spark plugs Also installed my brakes and did an alignment for a total cost of zero, so that helped.
Pretty cool.

Ninety bucks for a coil and $108 for plugs...you probably saved yourself $800 bucks on that portion of it alone...another maybe $800 on the brakes and alignment. Busy day for you.
Old 08-04-16, 04:30 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Yep, I got to learn how to use the alignment machine too so that was pretty fun.
Old 09-11-16, 03:39 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Just FYI, at a Lexus dealer not far from me in North Texas, the 60k service is $954.xx. I have some friends who use a place that services Toyota, Lexus and Scions. He worked for Toyota for 25 years and then retired and opened his own place. He has been highly recommended and he charges $750.00 for 60k service.

The spark plug change kind of threw me off, but because of high compression engine it must be done for both emission warranty and extended warranty.

If I were mechanically enclined, I would certainly try to do my own like the majority here, but, one must know their own limitations�� Besides, I have someone to go back to if anything is questioned.

I do have the utmost respect for all of you who do their own repairs and service. I know it can be very rewarding.

Thanks for your input.

Cubby
Old 09-13-16, 11:59 AM
Dryrunner
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ls460 & gs400

I sort of saved money on brakes. I did buy the most expensive pads with Carbotech, and likely the rotors too with R1 Concept premiums, but I like them and I know they went in right. One maintenance task I wouldn't do again is the O2 sensors. On my GS400 two of them were buried inside tubing, hoses, and steel. really needed baby hands. Ball joints, shocks, fluid changes were a breeze. I look forward to doing all of that on the LS