LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Super expensive brake job!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-16 | 12:30 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by comotiger
Thanks, Steve, I am feeling a bit better now! BTW, I picked up the 2016 GSf pedals today. My indy shop will install on 8/8. Hope it goes well.
Whoa say what? Let's see the before an after pics when you're done.
Old 07-29-16 | 12:57 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
$395 for turning the rotors and replacing pads on one axle from a Lexus dealer is cheap IMHO. My dealer quoted me $375 just to turn my front rotors without replacing the pads. I declined.

You need to find a good independent mechanic to do that sort of stuff, or just understand that you're going to pay a big premium to have them done at the dealer out of ease.

As for the sensors, they do not measure pad thickness. All they do is illuminate the brake light telling you the pads need replaced when they come in contact with the metal rotor.
I kinda know the answer to this but here goes:
Is there any database that lists average (typical) prices for various repairs done at Lexus dealerships vs indy shops broken down regionally? I realize CL is a great resource, but maybe we should have a spreadsheet that would be easier to search than scanning through search results.
Old 07-29-16 | 12:58 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

This forum is an anomaly when it comes car costs. Some buy or lease new at 80k and some buy used for 15 to 40k. In general if you can afford to pay 80k you can probably afford to give the dealer double for your service. 3 times more for control arms. But like my two well off friends getting the best deal is a sport.
Old 07-29-16 | 01:12 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

I kinda know the answer to this but here goes:
Is there any database that lists average (typical) prices for various repairs done at Lexus dealerships vs indy shops broken down regionally? I realize CL is a great resource, but maybe we should have a spreadsheet that would be easier to search than scanning through search results.
I doubt that would be effective. For example. If I ask my mechanic to turn my rotors then say hey change the pads too he might just throw that in while he's at it. My indy guy always finds a way to add in things for free. Even something simple like asking to change the cabin filters during a service, I usually don't even pay for the time much less the filters them self.

The best way to compare your costs would be to ask the shop you work with what their labor rate is and compare it to the dealer. Every time I needed something done my guy will just look into the computer and say oh that's about 2 hours. Then you can decide whether the price difference justifies the repair.
Old 07-29-16 | 01:30 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
I doubt that would be effective. For example. If I ask my mechanic to turn my rotors then say hey change the pads too he might just throw that in while he's at it. My indy guy always finds a way to add in things for free. Even something simple like asking to change the cabin filters during a service, I usually don't even pay for the time much less the filters them self.

The best way to compare your costs would be to ask the shop you work with what their labor rate is and compare it to the dealer. Every time I needed something done my guy will just look into the computer and say oh that's about 2 hours. Then you can decide whether the price difference justifies the repair.
Thanks, Dr. J, that sounds reasonable. Of course there is also the difference between OEM parts (probably marked up) at the dealership Vs aftermarket parts one may buy to install at indy shop.

I will remember to take before/after pics of pedals. The GSf pedals look the right size, I hope they don't run into trouble while installing.
Old 07-29-16 | 01:53 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

I had a personal limit I was willing to abide when it comes to dealer work.

Obviously for larger services than routine or Tires for that matter I will go for the cheapest but best recommended option.
Old 07-29-16 | 02:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sapstar66
I agree with you on most of it, but... sometimes the price difference for the same end result is not worth the luxury stuff in-between... They do exagerate on some things...
Then just don't patronize them for the services where you don't see the value. Its that simple.

Originally Posted by Doublebase
More like price gauging and taking advantage of people that know little about repairing cars. And that's ok, it's legal, but should be avoided in my opinion. Staying at a Ritz Carlton is a totally different scenario, you are paying more for a different and higher quality experience. Paying $395 dollars for pads and turning rotors - when the pads cost $50 dollars - and it takes them an extra 15 minutes to cut rotors, is a bit ridiculous (and taking advantage of people). What extra benefit or luxury do you receive to warrant this basic and easy repair? A coffee? A free donut? The ambiance of standing in a waiting room with marble? Meanwhile some 20 year old kid they are paying $15 dollars an hour is cutting your rotors...taking metal off. Meanwhile a reasonable independent shop could actually be putting new rotors and pads on for the same price (minus the luxury).
So you say "staying at the Ritz Carlton is totally different". Why? You're paying more for a different higher quality experience. You're doing that at the Lexus dealer too. The actual service you car receives may be the same...may not even be as good...but the experience for you as a customer is much different. People are friendlier, they treat you differently, the surroundings are better, there are drinks and snacks, smaller rooms with TVs, there may be putting greens and golf simulators, may be a lot of other things depending on the dealer. You're greeted in a nice indoor area, you can have a loaner that is delivered to you quickly and efficiently. Nice music is playing. Its a very upscale experience that I enjoy. At my independent mechanic theres a small room with his desk, and a one bay shop. It smells like oil. I have to have somebody pick me up or he will drive me to the subway in my own car. Pretty different.

The difference is you appreciate the value of the luxuries the Ritz Carlton gives you, and you don't care about those luxuries when servicing your car and thats fine...but plenty of people do.

Its not a business' job to present a case against customers using their service. Its the customer's responsibility to price shop and decide what the best value for them is. I don't feel bad for customers that over pay one iota. Not one tiny bit.

BTW, I picked up the 2016 GSf pedals today. My indy shop will install on 8/8.
Cool! Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-29-16 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-29-16 | 02:19 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Here's how pricing works at dealers and independents.
A dealer bumps manufacturer suggested list parts prices to whatever. Nobody sells for list. The manufacturer cant legally control this.
The dealer bumps the manufacturer warranty time guide for customer pay labor also to whatever.
Combined it can be a lot like in most cases.

An independent, like my friends Volvo shop charges dealer list plus 13% for parts even though he uses cheaper proven good aftermarket parts if he can get them. Unless its a ridiculous situation like control arms. Remember lots of the aftermarket parts are the exact same parts as the ones that come in Toyota boxes. Therefore his parts prices are not that much cheaper than the dealer unless the dealer is going for double the list, which I have seen quite often. He charges aftermarket chilten manual repair times (which is higher than warranty time but not outrageous) at his rate which is 20% lower than the dealers usually. His employees are on salary with no incentive to rip you off. No bling or loaner cars. This is a good scenario but not the cheapest. Honest and fair.

Some independents charge aftermarket parts prices marked up a reasonable percentage and then their chilten labor guide rates at even less per hour. If you stumble on this scenario and they are good and honest you have won the game. Or fix it yourself with aftermarket parts like me.
Just stay out of Firestone, Midas, Brakes plus etc. Or any work on anything shop unless you know the guy.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 07-29-16 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-29-16 | 02:27 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

I prefer just picking up a loaner over the weekend and getting my car back the next Monday ready to go. I figure there's less chance to screw things up the longer they have it.
Old 07-29-16 | 03:55 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Here's how pricing works at dealers and independents.
A dealer bumps manufacturer suggested list parts prices to whatever. Nobody sells for list. The manufacturer cant legally control this.
The dealer bumps the manufacturer warranty time guide for customer pay labor also to whatever.
Combined it can be a lot like in most cases.

An independent, like my friends Volvo shop charges dealer list plus 13% for parts even though he uses cheaper proven good aftermarket parts if he can get them. Unless its a ridiculous situation like control arms. Remember lots of the aftermarket parts are the exact same parts as the ones that come in Toyota boxes. Therefore his parts prices are not that much cheaper than the dealer unless the dealer is going for double the list, which I have seen quite often. He charges aftermarket chilten manual repair times (which is higher than warranty time but not outrageous) at his rate which is 20% lower than the dealers usually. His employees are on salary with no incentive to rip you off. No bling or loaner cars. This is a good scenario but not the cheapest. Honest and fair.

Some independents charge aftermarket parts prices marked up a reasonable percentage and then their chilten labor guide rates at even less per hour. If you stumble on this scenario and they are good and honest you have won the game. Or fix it yourself with aftermarket parts like me.
Just stay out of Firestone, Midas, Brakes plus etc. Or any work on anything shop unless you know the guy.
I'm not sure this is the case. My shop buys parts direct from Lexus and pays a discount on OE parts which are then delivered to him for free. I pay that price with no mark up and am only responsible for the labor. Otherwise I can simply bring in my own parts like I did recently when I converted to the ceramic pads I bought from RockAuto.
Old 07-29-16 | 04:02 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

I'm not sure this is the case. My shop buys parts direct from Lexus and pays a discount on OE parts which are then delivered to him for free. I pay that price with no mark up and am only responsible for the labor. Otherwise I can simply bring in my own parts like I did recently when I converted to the ceramic pads I bought from RockAuto.
Winner! You pretty much found a guy who works for free.
Old 07-29-16 | 04:07 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Winner! You pretty much found a guy who works for free.
How does he work for free? When he charges me to change an air strut what does he care whether the part is $1,000 or $1,300? He still makes the same amount of money to compensate for his time right? Why would your "friend" charge his customers a premium for aftermarket parts?
Old 07-29-16 | 08:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My shop also uses all OEM parts (he was a Lexus Master Tech for a long time and started his own shop about 10 years ago), I'm sure he marks them up but I don't have an issue with that. He will also happily use my parts I've ordered and just charge me labor. When I did the control arms on my 03 ES that was a big job, he told me where to buy the parts the cheapest, I did so and he just charged me labor.

His labor rate is $89/hr. The Lexus dealer is $145/hr lol.
Old 07-30-16 | 03:49 PM
superdenso
Instructor

If you break down in San Francisco or Beverly Hills you will pay different coin at Lexus dealers for the same repair. Like it or not that's just how that is. caveat emptor

The service department is a profit center. Either you have the knowledge and skills to do the job or you pay someone that does. This is the product sold at all dealerships. The parts prices and labor totals are all negotiable.

Last edited by superdenso; 07-30-16 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-30-16 | 04:46 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

How does he work for free? When he charges me to change an air strut what does he care whether the part is $1,000 or $1,300? He still makes the same amount of money to compensate for his time right? Why would your "friend" charge his customers a premium for aftermarket parts?

When you drive out of my friends shop your bill is considerably lower than the dealers and you were not sold services you didn't need. The parts on your car are every bit as good as the ones that come in the manufacturers boxes. Remember the part I said about how some dealers double or in the case of small items even go 5 times the list price. His warranty is identical as the dealers also.
Shops need to mark up parts to make enough profit to stay in business. When a Lexus part fails after install at a dealer they get paid for the labor from Lexus to replace it. An independent shop will redo your repair but he must eat the labor. This is one reason they have to mark up the parts. In my friends case he pays for his employees and their families health insurance. They all have vacation pay, holiday pay etc. He doesn't make a lot of money when its all said and done so I cant fault him for his business practices. Very few shops will install your own parts and I feel like even asking them to do it is wrong. Being a retired mechanic I am biased so don't take my opinion personal. Its only my opinion, not the wright or wrong one.
Also $400 is not bad for new pads and turning rotors. The turning of the rotors is the bad part. Most brake jobs just need pads and if the rotors need turn they should be replaced instead.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 07-30-16 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Super expensive brake job!!!!