LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What a 2010 Audi S5 teaches me about my LS

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-16, 06:26 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Re: Optic package- I bought a 2010 that had every option available for that model year but the optic package wasn't available until 2013 (or maybe 2014).
What is the optic package? Makes the nav screen invisible??
Old 08-18-16, 06:36 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

I get what your wife is saying about similar interiors. But, to me it's night and day! Much better screen. I never liked how the 430 nav looked like a big ole honkin' clunker stuck on top of a console. For me, the difference in my 430 and my 460 is the feel of luxury and sportiness. The 430 felt like an old man's car(yes I'm an old man!). It was a transitional car between my 400 and 460. Again, just my thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails What a 2010 Audi S5 teaches me about my LS-ls460-430-20interior_zps8gshxbi6.jpg  
Old 08-18-16, 10:12 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Audi, BMW and MB are more expensive and the quality is far superior plus they offer features not available on the current LS. All three handles better than the LS.
Agree with more expensive and perhaps better handling. But as to "Quality far superior'....no way. I've owned all three brands. None are screwed together as well as Lexus LS cars. More features, bells, and whistles, yes of course, if you need all that nonsense...which is going to cause headaches with reliability now and in the future. I wouldn't consider the Germans to be reliable when it comes to electronics.
Old 08-18-16, 10:48 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

I've owned all three brands and most previous owners, including myself and you are well aware of the headaches and reliability issues associated with owning an Audi, BMW or MB. They are all loaded with bells and whistles that most owners never use, including some on my 460. That's one of the reasons why I own a 460 is because of its reliability but its not perfect. I'm not referring to superior reliability but superior quality of materials. If you have a opportunity to sit in the current Audi, BMW and MB as I did at this year auto show you might have a better understanding. Audi, BMW and MB have taken fit, trim and finish to a whole new level. MB is almost in Bentley territory. Each to their own and just my 2 cents.
Old 08-18-16, 02:12 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Having owned a BMW X5 and a 7 series, I can attest at the beautiful craftsmanship and quality of materials, as well as the driving experience. Those things very quickly lose their appeal when you're sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for something else to break. It was ALWAYS something. Every time a "beep" or "ding" sound went off, or a warning light came on on your dash, you knew you were up for some new adventure in maintenance and repair. It made driving more stressful than those quality materials and over-engineering were worth.

No thanks...and never again.
Old 08-18-16, 03:27 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from a lot of user reviews online, it looks like nothing has changed with european cars. A lot of complaints.

lexus toyota have problems as well, but they dont usually stem from internal parts of the engine and transmission.

problems with audi bmw benz very often come from inside the engine or transmission.
Old 08-18-16, 06:22 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
from a lot of user reviews online, it looks like nothing has changed with european cars. A lot of complaints.

lexus toyota have problems as well, but they dont usually stem from internal parts of the engine and transmission.

problems with audi bmw benz very often come from inside the engine or transmission.
My 7 series was emitting clouds of blue smoke and needed an engine rebuild at 50k miles. This was a common problem among us owners at Bimmerfest. That and numerous other VERY costly issues. Google "coolant pipe 7 series" for another nightmare I had to deal with. I could go on.....lots more VERY expensive issues.
Old 08-18-16, 08:48 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That snapping is the haptic feedback...don't you feel it "snap" through the cursor pad?
My force feedback setting is max (5). Yet, I don't feel much sensation in the joy stick. I recall getting stronger feedback on an 2016 ES (joystick) as well as in RX and NX (the pad on which you run your finger). It's not a biggie, but will get it checked out next time.
Old 08-18-16, 08:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Yeah mine feels the same as my GS did
Old 08-19-16, 08:27 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
What is the optic package? Makes the nav screen invisible??
The Black Optic package is basically an appearance package. You get things like a black grille, titanium or black rims, blacked out/titanium chrome trim, etc. Basically it gives a more stealthy look to your car.
Old 08-19-16, 08:38 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
I've owned all three brands and most previous owners, including myself and you are well aware of the headaches and reliability issues associated with owning an Audi, BMW or MB. They are all loaded with bells and whistles that most owners never use, including some on my 460. That's one of the reasons why I own a 460 is because of its reliability but its not perfect. I'm not referring to superior reliability but superior quality of materials. If you have a opportunity to sit in the current Audi, BMW and MB as I did at this year auto show you might have a better understanding. Audi, BMW and MB have taken fit, trim and finish to a whole new level. MB is almost in Bentley territory. Each to their own and just my 2 cents.
Fit and finish between the two is the same. Material quality between an A8 or S-Class compared to the LS is where you really start noticing the difference - where A8, S-Class, and 7-Series have superior quality in the materials. Otherwise the fit and finish between a brand new LS and A8 for example is about the same.

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Having owned a BMW X5 and a 7 series, I can attest at the beautiful craftsmanship and quality of materials, as well as the driving experience. Those things very quickly lose their appeal when you're sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for something else to break. It was ALWAYS something. Every time a "beep" or "ding" sound went off, or a warning light came on on your dash, you knew you were up for some new adventure in maintenance and repair. It made driving more stressful than those quality materials and over-engineering were worth.

No thanks...and never again.
I remember when I used to hold my breath when turning on my A6... I surprisingly don't do that anymore. I ended up getting used to it. It does help that the car hasn't had any issues that cause the dash to light up like a christmas tree but I definitely know that feeling. Only time I had that sinking feeling was when the ABS module went out and the car kept beeping every single time you came to a stop and started moving again. $400 later, it was fixed.
Old 08-19-16, 10:25 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

also with lexus and toyota, troubleshooting and fixing the problema that may occur are a "known quantity". And chances are the fix will be just that, the fix.

with audi bmw benz thats not the case. it's a never ending money pit.

Old 08-19-16, 10:42 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix;9590744

also with lexus and toyota, troubleshooting and fixing the problema that may occur are a "known quantity". And chances are the fix will be just that, the fix.

with audi bmw benz thats not the case. it's a never ending money pit.
Nonsense! I've had persistent, unresolved problems with two of four Lexus vehicles I've owned - both LS460s (esp. brake rotors and actuators) while my son's 535i (for 3 years) and my wife's Z4 (for 2 years) have been 100% trouble-free (not a "beep," not a "ding," not a indicator light, not a message - NOTHING!) Oh, and "free" maintenance on the BMWs, to boot.
Old 08-19-16, 11:47 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

sometimes miracles happen. Im speaking after warranty period.

but the ls460 actuator is under the enhanced warranty.

Originally Posted by williakz
Nonsense! I've had persistent, unresolved problems with two of four Lexus vehicles I've owned - both LS460s (esp. brake rotors and actuators) while my son's 535i (for 3 years) and my wife's Z4 (for 2 years) have been 100% trouble-free (not a "beep," not a "ding," not a indicator light, not a message - NOTHING!) Oh, and "free" maintenance on the BMWs, to boot.
Old 08-19-16, 01:30 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
sometimes miracles happen. Im speaking after warranty period.

but the ls460 actuator is under the enhanced warranty.
Actually, the grinding, crunching FAILURE of the actuator IS under warranty, but the intensely annoying clicking on brake application/let-up is NOT. Such an actuator is considered by Lexus to be operating within acceptable bounds. "Acceptable" to WHOM is my question. Certainly, not to me...

Quick Reply: What a 2010 Audi S5 teaches me about my LS