LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A/V Upgrade for Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-16, 05:06 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

What's the other end of the display harness connected to? I actually connected the Vline harness to a port that was on the bottom left of the dash behind the ash tray.
Old 10-15-16, 05:46 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 505 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by DarKnight
What's the other end of the display harness connected to? I actually connected the Vline harness to a port that was on the bottom left of the dash behind the ash tray.
sounds like you didn't hook up the display harness cable to the back of the navigation display.
The port at the bottom left dash behind there ashtray is the incorrect spot for installation. Instructions supplied state to do it at the rear of the navigation display
Old 10-15-16, 06:10 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

I meant the harness also fits in the port behind the ash tray. I connected the Vline harness to the back of the display.

Last edited by DarKnight; 10-17-16 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-16-16, 12:19 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

I m having the same issue as Dark Knight.

I didn't have a factory plug behind the NAV unit. I plugged in the video cable, /land triple checked all connection. No dice. I can tell the car sees the vline since it's showing cd changer 1 - 2 etc. but is not showing the android screen. Any idea? Would love to put the car back haha

info.

2007 base audio
still on original factory v6.1 map.
Old 10-16-16, 09:59 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

i think the problem is that cars that didn't have the blue plug "connected" from the factory never had a video input signal that vline needs.

Perhaps ML systems had the video input enabled from factory for DVD video (base model doesn't have DVD playback IIRC)

Either we need to figure out how to enable the video input or ... don't know yet
Old 10-16-16, 10:13 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

I have the ML. Can someone post where the other of the end of the factory video harness is plugged in to? One end goes to the back of the nav display, what's the other end connected to? I wonder if maybe we just need to buy the that factory harness. The instructions on the Vline say if there's nothing connected to the back of the nav display to just leave the female end alone so I thought it should still work.
Old 10-16-16, 12:36 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Originally Posted by DarKnight
I have the ML. Can someone post where the other of the end of the factory video harness is plugged in to? One end goes to the back of the nav display, what's the other end connected to? I wonder if maybe we just need to buy the that factory harness. The instructions on the Vline say if there's nothing connected to the back of the nav display to just leave the female end alone so I thought it should still work.
the plot thickens...

I've tried everything. Maybe a defective unit. I'll call Grom on Monday and see what they think.. Whats the blue wire used for from the factory... interestinggg
Old 10-16-16, 02:33 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
the plot thickens...

I've tried everything. Maybe a defective unit. I'll call Grom on Monday and see what they think.. Whats the blue wire used for from the factory... interestinggg
I'm unsure what the wire that was already there does. I have a prestigous society navi bypass that was done by a stereo shop so perhaps that is the difference, but I suspect the cable is coming from the lower CD/DVD unit.

Just to be sure we are talking about the same connections to the car I pulled some still frames from this video:

Best that I recall, these are the two connectors I used. Both had cables attached, that had to be connected to the other open connector on the respective harnesses.
Attached Thumbnails A/V Upgrade for Lexus-power.jpg   A/V Upgrade for Lexus-video.jpg  

Last edited by KYLS; 10-16-16 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-16-16, 02:51 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

That's where I made my connections. I'm guessing it's a faulty unit, harness or both. I have a service ticket with Grom, hopefully they get back to me tomorrow. The attached photo is where the video harness also fits, I wonder if that's where the factory video harness gets connected to.
Attached Thumbnails A/V Upgrade for Lexus-photo8.jpg  
Old 10-16-16, 03:28 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I m having the same issue as Dark Knight.
... I can tell the car sees the vline since it's showing cd changer 1 - 2 etc. but is not showing the android screen. Any idea? ... .
If you have not already done so, try pressing the "SCAN" button on the radio three times while it is on the CD changer screen. The VLine is toggled between the CD screen (so you can get to the audio adjust settings) and it's own screen by this. A momentary blank screen is normal while the VLine boots, but should be replaced by a VLine and then Android boot screen after that.
Old 10-16-16, 04:13 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

I probably did everything... even reset/disconnected battery, etc.

i will try the SCAN button 3 times tonight
thanks!!
Old 10-16-16, 04:18 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

I tried it and still nothing. The screen goes blank for about 1/2 a second then goes back to the cd changer screen.
Old 10-16-16, 09:56 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Scan is not working. Screen just goes blank and straight to cd changer..
went to diagnostics menu and saw the screen above.. trying to decipher
Old 10-17-16, 05:04 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

See page 3 in the installation manual:
http://gromaudio.com/docs/vline_manuals/vline_gen5_install_manual.pdf
Regards
Arvid
Old 10-17-16, 06:18 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

That's why I'm thinking it's the unit or the supplied harness that's not working properly.

Originally Posted by Arvid

Quick Reply: A/V Upgrade for Lexus