LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bogging Down On Acceleration...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-16, 08:43 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Yes, I agree there probably are multiple variables involved. Hopefully, switching to TGMO synthetic and if needed an ECM "refresh" will solve the problem for most. I am still wondering whether this issue is restricted to some model years, say 2012 and older. In which case, there could be a connection to the engine management software that may have been resolved in 2013+ cars.
So it's the LS in a Halloween Predator Mask or the oil change bog?
Old 09-05-16, 08:54 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Update. No issues since last oil change on Thursday. Did about 200 plus miles both city and highway.

The previous owner used 0-20 syn oil i used Amsoil 0-20 in Feb had the issue. Used 0-20 Pennzoil and no issue.

The debate continues.

Old 09-06-16, 10:08 AM
jfattibe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an fyi, I just had to add a quart of oil after putting on around 5000 miles. Before I added I had no hesitation, after adding the quart I had hesitation for a couple of days before it went away ?????????
Old 09-06-16, 12:49 PM
fooldall1
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So, basically.. no one knows for sure. So far this has not occurred with my 09.
Old 09-06-16, 12:59 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

So far my 2014 has been flawless after 2 oil changes.
Old 09-07-16, 04:07 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Dr. Jekyll - Does your 2014 still have low miles? My 2010 has only 26k miles. I think partly I haven't had this problem because of the low miles.

The theory about adding petroleum oil instead of synthetic ... well, that's the most logical theory I've read yet. My first oil change I ran NON synthetic, but I had no issues. I think the lack of problems was in part due to low miles.

A knock sensor must have to be a very sensitive device. The addition of new oil could have a substantial difference in transmitting ... sound (I guess is the best way to describe it) versus the dirty oil removed. As "dirt" accumulates in oil, it's ability to transmit sound logically should diminish. And two, the difference between synthetic oil and petroleum may have a difference in the ability to transmit sound. That makes more sense than anything I've read so far.
Old 09-08-16, 03:31 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes I have a whopping 6,000 miles and change my oil rather frequently.
Old 09-12-16, 05:02 PM
Trumpanche
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sorry buddy... some of us just gave up :-(

I worked with RoadFrog and some others for about 18 months to troubleshoot my '07 with these same symptoms. We tried cleaners and different oils and voodoo/prayers but no snake oil fixed it and Lexus didn't have a solution.

When it came down to it, I finally convinced myself (using bluetooth engine monitoring software etc. that showed the engine was retarding ignition timing massively under certain conditions) that the engine had the TSIB-documented valve guide issue. That TSIB basically says there's play/rattle/noise in some valves and the engine knock sensor tells the computer to pull timing erroneously. The fix is to replace the cylinder heads, which costs $10k +. Having no warranty, I weighed that against the cost of getting a newer model that doesn't exhibit that problem and I purchased a 2011 LS. I love my new 2011, but I sure wish I had purchased a warranty on that '07 - it would have saved me a ton of money (bushings, motor mount, this engine crap etc.) :-(
Old 09-13-16, 12:09 PM
Topshottaz
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trumpanche
I worked with RoadFrog and some others for about 18 months to troubleshoot my '07 with these same symptoms. We tried cleaners and different oils and voodoo/prayers but no snake oil fixed it and Lexus didn't have a solution.

When it came down to it, I finally convinced myself (using bluetooth engine monitoring software etc. that showed the engine was retarding ignition timing massively under certain conditions) that the engine had the TSIB-documented valve guide issue. That TSIB basically says there's play/rattle/noise in some valves and the engine knock sensor tells the computer to pull timing erroneously. The fix is to replace the cylinder heads, which costs $10k +. Having no warranty, I weighed that against the cost of getting a newer model that doesn't exhibit that problem and I purchased a 2011 LS. I love my new 2011, but I sure wish I had purchased a warranty on that '07 - it would have saved me a ton of money (bushings, motor mount, this engine crap etc.) :-(
was there a recall for this?
Old 09-13-16, 02:49 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Topshottaz
was there a recall for this?
There is no recall. However, I would not be surprised to see one announced at some point, as the condition is obviously dangerous.
Old 09-22-16, 03:38 PM
gmounger
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just took my LS460 2007in for bogging down. They recalibrate ECU and no bogging issues for the last 30 miles on the way home from dealer. I do seem to hear a "roaring" noise when I accelerate. Strange
Old 09-22-16, 05:04 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Trumpanche

Even though I've heard many suspect the heads are the issue, a sensitive knock sensor setting and oil turbulence are more likely the culprits. The engineers little way of protecting their gem has caused a serious performance issue for a few owners. If the problem were present at all times then the heads would be implicated. Since it goes away with recal. or more miles after the oil change/I'll keep the heads where they are; on top.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...y-knock-sensor

Engine oil and knock discussion/that fresh new oil is noisy
http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?2124631-Correlation-between-knock-voltages-and-viscosity-of-motor-oil

Last edited by superdenso; 09-22-16 at 05:52 PM.