LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

For those with melting door panels 2010+

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-16, 04:30 AM
PMIRO2
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good call on keeping receipts joedaddy. They are offering replacements on dashes on door panels for 2007 models so you should be fine. I cannot stand looking at the door every morning. Not really keen on taking it to an upholstery shop and getting a used one off ebay can be a gamble. I guess I will just deal with it for the time being.
Old 02-23-17, 09:51 AM
Robb92914
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PMIRO2
Not to muddy your thread Robb, but wanted to update. I had a not so pleasant conversation with Lisa yesterday. Long story short, they are still only offering 50% replacement. When I asked why, she said they base it on service history, how many Lexus vehicles you have owned, year, miles, and various other factors to make a decision. When I asked specifically why, she just repeated her canned answer. Apparently the dealership never was sent pictures for my first claim when the original decision was made. I sent pictures the 2nd time and she could not even verify if all parties involved in making the decision viewed them. Then she told me the pictures do not even matter when they make a decision. What?!?!?!? So if you spent more money on your vehicle or have owned more than 2 other Lexus models, or have one model year older than me you get it 100% covered???

I purchased this vehicle "certified" in 2014 from a Lexus dealership with only 30,xxx miles, I financed with Lexus. I only have it serviced at Lexus. My last Lexus was only serviced at the dealership and I followed all recommended services. Sorry for the rant all, but I am extremely shocked, disappointed, and dissatisfied with Lexus customer service right now and how they are going about offering replacements.

If anyone has ideas of another route I can take to get this covered, please let me know. Here are the pics that apparently do not matter to Lexus:
Did you end up getting them to fix this by chance? Crazy they treated you like that. It was such an easy process for me. This is my 3rd Lexus but that shouldn't matter. Shouldn't have to worry about that!
Old 02-23-17, 10:13 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

They've been pretty arbitrary about whose panels they will replace. I've owned Lexus vehicles for 25 years always had them serviced at the dealer and they essentially blew me off when my '07 LS door panels started to melt. My dealer told them they "felt like flypaper" but still nothing.

Never had problems like this with my BMWs ('84, '92, '01), and before anybody starts, they were every bit as reliable as my Lexus cars.
Old 02-23-17, 10:30 AM
stkgator
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my '07, they replaced both the dashboard and center console - still waiting for the door-panels - even though my '07 did not fall within the date-range of the extended warranty. The vinyl portions of center console were becoming sticky and scuffed, although not at bad as the door arm-rests.

OP: When they replaced the center console, the padded top/elbow rest is also replaced. The padding in the original elbow rest was compressed such that you could feel an "edge" under your elbow when driving. The padding in the replacement appears to be thicker/denser and does not have the "edge" when you push down on the corner. For the past few years, I was thinking of replacing the padding as the "edge" drove me crazy on longer trips, but removing the lid did not seem simple - must be the reason the center console and lid are one part number.

Part number for the new center console: 58810-50070-A0

Last edited by stkgator; 02-23-17 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-23-17, 10:57 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

Had all door panels replaced by Lexus under good will last year on my '11 LS. Very nice of them to do this. Now my glove box door looks faded and won't clean up. I'll see if they'll replace it. New ones $500 (yikes!).
Old 02-23-17, 12:47 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb92914
Here are some photos of the current panel that I sent. No where near as bad as I have seen but gets super sticky in the heat.

So, it appears I've learned something new today, as I thought that all L models came with semi-aniline leather on the door panels by default.
I understand you to have an L model and you have the door panel that comes as a default on the SWB.
I snapped a few photos of my own a bit ago and wanted to post here. I'll be posting the same photos in a similar thread discussing the same subject matter (but deferring the the dash pad) where a member (I believe it's you) said that his door panels were exhibiting the melting phenomena. But it puzzled me because he too said that he owned an L model and I wasn't aware of the semi-aniline leather having melt issues.
The difference is the s/a leather has stitching were as the other material does not.
​​​​​​​
Attached Thumbnails For those with melting door panels 2010+-imag2541.jpg   For those with melting door panels 2010+-imag2542.jpg   For those with melting door panels 2010+-imag2543.jpg  

Last edited by CRowe14; 02-23-17 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 10:58 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

great to know. hopefully they will replace mine as well. (2009 LS460)
Originally Posted by jud149
Had all door panels replaced by Lexus under good will last year on my '11 LS. Very nice of them to do this. Now my glove box door looks faded and won't clean up. I'll see if they'll replace it. New ones $500 (yikes!).
Old 02-24-17, 08:19 PM
PMIRO2
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb92914
Did you end up getting them to fix this by chance? Crazy they treated you like that. It was such an easy process for me. This is my 3rd Lexus but that shouldn't matter. Shouldn't have to worry about that!
I ended up getting the drivers door done. I thought I was going to have to pay half, but ended up talking to a different dealership (Lexus of Clearwater). The service manager told me they gave me a credit which I could apply however I saw fit. They randomly had my color in stock and he waived the bit over labor he originally said I would need to pay. I will be getting all my service done there moving forward.
Old 02-28-17, 06:34 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
PMIRO2.. that's exactly how my 2007 model looks.. I'm going to take the car in sometime in October.. I'll let you know what they say. I am pretty surprised that they are not covering it fully.. make sure you keep you receipt if you are paying some out of pocket. There probably will be a recall in the future. Hopefully, you can get a refund then.
So I got shot down today at my Lexus dealer...
They said only the upper black part is on the door is warrantied, not the arm-rest portion. My upper black part is fine.. the door handle not much.
The armrest vinyl chipping off.. the service person blamed my seatbelt buckle...
They'll replace my driver's side door, but nothing else. Not too happy about it, but what can I do...
Old 03-03-17, 11:32 AM
B777Pilot
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Denied

I have a 08 with 50K Mile, manufactured in 10/07. I am the second owner, first owner had every oil change and required
maintenance performed at a Lexus dealership.

I talked to Lexus USA and described the issues of sticky panels in hot weather and white residue build up.

After som run around I was told they would not warrant any of the problems under their case by case good will recall.

Disappointed, and poor product back up when they know very well it is a problem.

Old 03-03-17, 02:16 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

So wait...I just don't understand.
Does it depend on dealership, VIN, relationship with the SA, how badly the damage is...what direction the suns rays are casting...
What is it? This is baffling.
Old 03-03-17, 02:27 PM
B777Pilot
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

CRowe14, They did not even inspect my car. It was turned down by Lexus USA. Car is out of warranty, not their problem anymore, even if car is manufactured
10/2007 and sold as a 08 its not part of the "recall". So the fact I have sticky door panels means nothing.....

Guess I have to live with it and touch the door panels gently when its hot.
Old 03-03-17, 02:55 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

When you guys say "door panel".. are you talking about the armrest portion, or do you mean the upper black part near the windows (where the door handle is)?
Old 03-03-17, 05:29 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
When you guys say "door panel".. are you talking about the armrest portion, or do you mean the upper black part near the windows (where the door handle is)?
The armrest panel where to door pull is. There are other areas with similar plastic components (underside of dash, center console sides) but the armrest/door pull is what sticks to you fingers in hot weather. Lexus should be ashamed of themselves for admitting the issue on the one hand and then arbitrarily denying to make good on the known fault on the other.

For anyone interested, it looks like the door pull can be removed from the door panel and recovered at an upholstery shop. I considered this but then just decided to trade the car in.
Old 03-03-17, 06:10 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by B777Pilot
CRowe14, They did not even inspect my car. It was turned down by Lexus USA. Car is out of warranty, not their problem anymore, even if car is manufactured
10/2007 and sold as a 08 its not part of the "recall". So the fact I have sticky door panels means nothing.....

Guess I have to live with it and touch the door panels gently when its hot.
Really sorry to hear that, as it has to be not only disheartening but frustrating. Especially when you read about others having theirs replaced. I'm wondering if having it inspected by a tech or Service Manager and having it documented would have made a difference.

Originally Posted by sktn77a
The armrest panel where to door pull is. There are other areas with similar plastic components (underside of dash, center console sides) but the armrest/door pull is what sticks to you fingers in hot weather. Lexus should be ashamed of themselves for admitting the issue on the one hand and then arbitrarily denying to make good on the known fault on the other.

For anyone interested, it looks like the door pull can be removed from the door panel and recovered at an upholstery shop. I considered this but then just decided to trade the car in.
Hate you has to deal with that as well. But you really tried to stick it out, and even spend good money for the P7's. I'm sure your not looking back though, as you scored a great car in the newer LS!
The following users liked this post:
B777Pilot (03-06-17)

Quick Reply: For those with melting door panels 2010+