LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Serpentine Belt Snaps/Overheat/Christmas Tree on dash

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 02:07 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Whew - Sounds good. I guess with all the lights lit up, a break in the coolant temp sensor causing it to fall and bounce back up is very feasible ... meaning the gauge bounce just being a symptom of the electrical issues going on in that instance.

But the little old lady's car would crank up and run ... it was just a (short) matter of time before it seized in traffic, and possible got her hurt, if it weren't dealt with quickly. Just bad memories there. They (her and her sister) were dependent on that jalopy, had no money and no children, and I couldn't afford to help them out at that time. The sister died shortly after that (a couple months I think). And the main lady I think died about a year later. Was just all bad.

If your AC is still in, get someone to cycle the A/C on / off while you watch the pulley and belt and see if anything exciting happens.

7milesout
Old 09-08-16, 02:50 PM
NJToany
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The belt is off. I tried putting a new one on but it wouldn't stay on because of the loose AC compressor I'm assuming. So I can't even test that. But from what I'm getting after I showed my video, they said bad compressor. I just checked the oil, oil cap, and rad reservoir to make sure there is no milking.

Does anyone have an idea or DIY on how to take the AC comp off? Lol
Old 09-08-16, 03:50 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Personally I think your gauges going haywire has a lot to do with the serpentine belt falling off and the alternator not working. When alternators are not working all sorts of weird electrical things happen to gauges, radio and other things.

I can't believe how bad that compressor is,mthat thing is totally wiped out. You didn't hear any noise before that thing grenaded like that? A howl or groan? Nothing?

As for the possible head gasket - and man do I hope you don't need those, or worse - you should check for grayish smoke from the tailpipe (and you should be able to smell the coolant...it kind of smells like maple syrup when it burns). I'd look for bubbles in the radiator overflow tank. You may also feel a lot of pressure when you remove the cap due to combustion gases building up in the cooling system. You could always try a compression test...if two adjourning cylinders are low, it's usually a head gasket. They also sell test strips you can dip into the coolant that will tell you if you have a bad head gasket. Visually inspect the heads...you never know...sometimes you may actually see coolant leaking down the block. Pull the oil dipstick tube...if it looks like coffee with cream and sugar? Bad head gasket. I'm probably missing a few things...there's so many.
Old 09-08-16, 04:07 PM
NJToany
Driver School Candidate

The car is so quiet and I had music going I guess I didn't notice. I never had a faulty AC compressor so I wouldn't know what is bad from a scale of 1-10. So far no milky oil in dip stick, oil cap, or reservoir. I will start the car tommorow and let it run longer to see any smoke come out. Coolant reservoir did bubble when I opened it after I got it home. But isn't that from being too hot? That happens in my Acura RL but my gaskets were good
Old 09-08-16, 07:29 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NJToany
The car is so quiet and I had music going I guess I didn't notice. I never had a faulty AC compressor so I wouldn't know what is bad from a scale of 1-10. So far no milky oil in dip stick, oil cap, or reservoir. I will start the car tommorow and let it run longer to see any smoke come out. Coolant reservoir did bubble when I opened it after I got it home. But isn't that from being too hot? That happens in my Acura RL but my gaskets were good
yeah if you open that cap after its hot it will boil over. If you were to remove the cap when it's cold, start it and watch for continues bubbles...that would be different. That may be combustion leaking into the coolant. Either way I wouldn't run it long without that belt on, because that water pump won't spin without it.
Old 09-09-16, 12:20 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You have a 1 month/1,000 miles warranty from the dealer so why didn't you just pull over and had the car tow directly back to the dealership that sold you the car and have them deal with all the mess?
Old 09-09-16, 03:21 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AznRacer
You have a 1 month/1,000 miles warranty from the dealer so why didn't you just pull over and had the car tow directly back to the dealership that sold you the car and have them deal with all the mess?
yeah I would advise the same thing, he's had the car for a week and potentially he may be dealing with a blown engine (and compressor). I know the engine may be fine, but these things don't like to overheat. And what's an AC compressor cost on one of these things? $500? Plus to do it properly you'll have to evacuate the system, measure the oil that goes into the new compressor, worry about moisture getting into the system, pull a vacuum on the system for a while, hope that nothing else is wrong in the AC system...just let the dealer worry about it. They probably won't fix it right either, but at least you can keep taking it back. I imagine what he's worried about is that they'll ask him how far he drove with the belt off and try to blame him if it's anything catastrophic.
Old 09-09-16, 06:36 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi.

I' m sorry I don't have anything constructive to help yoi out, but please let us know how things go.

Cubby
Old 09-10-16, 06:21 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

tow it straight back to the dealership and dont tell them you messed with the car or they will void your warranty. just say that its over heating, just tell them to fix it and be firm with them. The ac system is very complexed and air tight system, you wont just need a compressor, u need a evap, condenser, and a few other things.
Old 09-10-16, 06:28 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

tow it straight back to the dealership and dont tell them you messed with the car or they will void your warranty. just say that its over heating, just tell them to fix it and be firm with them. The ac system is very complexed and air tight system, you wont just need a compressor, u need a evap, condenser, and a few other things.
Old 09-11-16, 03:54 PM
realkrs
Rookie

The engine is all aluminum - you've GOT to stop starting it up to try things out. You've got a major problem with that car and anything you do in your ignorance only stands to make it worse.

Get it towed to either a Lexus dealer or an independent who is a very competent Lexus repair shop. You're going to bit a big bullet either way.

From the things you've said you are not able to fix this yourself!
Old 09-11-16, 04:22 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by realkrs
The engine is all aluminum - you've GOT to stop starting it up to try things out. You've got a major problem with that car and anything you do in your ignorance only stands to make it worse.

Get it towed to either a Lexus dealer or an independent who is a very competent Lexus repair shop. You're going to bit a big bullet either way.

From the things you've said you are not able to fix this yourself!

X2^^^^^. Prime example for "Pay me now or pay me later." This is NOT a job for a "shade tree mechanic" with basic tools.
Like I said in my previous post: Take it to a shop that has the proper equipment and knowledge. This system must be recovered, flushed out and properly charged...... Yes! it may cost more but it will be done the correct way.
Just my $.02
Old 09-11-16, 07:09 PM
Falbz
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
FWIW, there's plenty of them on Ebay for about 80 bucks brand new. Thats for the entire tensioner assembly and not just the tensioner pulley.
Is Dayco the OEM manufacturer for our cars ? I know denso for electrical, bando for the belts, and aisin for the water pumps. Just curious thanks.

x3 I'd take it back and let the dealer cover the costs without telling them you messed with the car. You just purchased the car and deserve something back from them. Best of luck

Last edited by Falbz; 09-11-16 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 11:27 AM
realkrs
Rookie

Originally Posted by Falbz
x3 I'd take it back and let the dealer cover the costs without telling them you messed with the car. You just purchased the car and deserve something back from them. Best of luck
I go along with that. It's a hard fight with any of the small lot used car sellers but you've only gone 800 miles and a little more than a week. You don't deserve such a nightmare.
Old 09-20-16, 06:23 AM
NJToany
Driver School Candidate

Update to this situation..... No i did not get a blown engine, warped head, or any other catastrophic failure. The problem was what i stated before, the compressor wheel was loose and made the belt jump off in turn making the car overheat. I bought new pulleys and a denso ac compressor. I, a "shade tree mechanic," not a master certified lexus technician, that never worked on a lexus before, access the problem and did all the work. Took me approximately 6-7 hours split into two days while waiting for parts to arrive.

Once the new compressor arrived and compared, I immediately confirm my analysis that the ac compressor was the culprit. Once I evacuated my AC with the "proper equipment" i removed the compressor. New compressor installed, flushed and refilled coolant then pressurized my system. Started the ALUMINUM block that does not do well with overheating and left it running for 20 mins. No overheating, no smoking equals no bad head gaskets or blown engine. Took it to a honda dealership to this time really properly put freon in the system for free.

Took it on a 2 hour trip. With some spirited driving here and there, the engine holds strong.

I appreciate the help and optimistic comments regarding my situation. To the others, I guess I can understand why your views are like that. Lexus owners, I'm assuming have money, and can afford the luxuries of not getting their hands dirty. Me personally, I can afford the repair, but believe that as a man you should be able to identify and fix simple things on your vehicle. Plus its always good to know about your car. I never took any classes to have knowledge as a mechanic. I learned from working on my prior cars an S2000 and an Acura RL. From Clutch,transmission, wheel bearing replacement on the s2000 to Timing belt change on the RL. Either way the job is done and my first Lexus is back on the road...... Just bought some EBC Rotors (slotted/dimple) and yellow pads. Waiting to get my blackvue dual dash cam and Valentine one (Going to hardwire all that in). Then I'm going to install all at once.

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt Snaps/Overheat/Christmas Tree on dash