LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Colgan Car Bras

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-16, 01:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Yeah the film feels just like paint. You would never know it was on there if you didn't know. Water beads and rolls off of it just like paint.
Old 09-21-16, 08:39 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd like to insert a value-add statement here regarding the protective film, as I was an advocate for the film prior to my recent incident. But since the incident, I will always opt to have the film installed on future vehicles.

Last week I was driving on the expressway. I am always very, very mindful of driving behind pick-up's and trucks of the like that have the capacity to carry items (even loose gravel) that can potentially "fly" off the backside of the truck and collide with my front-end. I either keep my distance or await an opportunity to make a quick pass.

I happened to be behind a larger pick-up that seemed to have an empty bed with the read gate in an upward position (closed).
I traveled behind the truck for approximately a 1/4 mile, then went to make my move around it. I was probably about 5 or 6 car lengths back..
When I was in the act of passing him on his left, a huge item, which seemed to be a very large, over-sized plastic slat, flew up and out of the backside of his flat bed, came directly towards me and viciously collided with my front end, hood, windshield and flew straight up into the air.
It happened so quick, I could barely believe what had just occurred.
I looked in my rear view to assure there wasn't anyone behind me, slowed down and got off on the next exit to check for damage.
I wish I had taken photos, but the slat, or what ever it was, left some pretty wide and long streaks on my head light, bumper, front and mid hood and on the passenger side front fender as well as passenger side view mirror.
The protective film on my vehicle, though not as graciously applied as on Steve's LS, covers my entire front end and about a 1/4 of my hood as well as the front side of my side view mirrors and on the trunk lip in the rear.
When I got home that afternoon, I took a damp mf cloth and gently began rubbing in a back and forth motion and I promise that with just a little bit of elbow grease/pressure and rinsing and folding of the cloth, not only did every last smear come off the car, but there wasn't any damage left behind.
I washed and waxed it a few days later and you cant even tell anything ever hit the car.
I don't wanna even think about what would have happened to the paint/surface if the film wasn't on the vehicle.
Get the front end protected, the stuff works!
Old 09-21-16, 08:50 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I'd like to insert a value-add statement here regarding the protective film, as I was an advocate for the film prior to my recent incident. But since the incident, I will always opt to have the film installed on future vehicles.
I washed and waxed it a few days later and you cant even tell anything ever hit the car.
I don't wanna even think about what would have happened to the paint/surface if the film wasn't on the vehicle.
Get the front end protected, the stuff works!
Glad to hear you are OK, and that the vehicle came thru fine without scrapes and dents.
Old 09-21-16, 09:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I had something very similar happen about a week after my film was applied, rubbed right off.
Old 09-21-16, 10:30 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

comotiger:

Thank you kindly for the regards! I too was very happy I didn't have to deal with paint damage and/or possibly a body shop visit.

Steve:
Yeah, that's pretty much my situation, but I had to apply a little more force in some spots.
I failed to mention that I had a few smears on my windshield and those came off pretty easy as well.
Old 09-21-16, 01:28 PM
KansasHawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Xpel clear bra installed about 30 days after getting my LS. It costs around 900.00 for fender, partial hood, and mirrors. It was just piece of mind that made me get it installed. It's only been over a month since I've had it but so far so good.