LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help.. I'm being seduced by a Jag!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 04:05 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

I have never noticed the folding trays for the rear passengers before. Seems like an obvious thing to do. Does any other automaker have it? I know the Executive package has the tray for the the right rear. Maybe the latest 7 series has them. But not the S-class.

I wouldn't mind installing folding trays. Has anyone made this mod??
Old 09-15-16, 04:12 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
If you haven't heard of them, Junction Produce will get you all of the JDM VIP goodness you want.

http://www.junctionvip.com/jupr.html
Old 09-15-16, 04:21 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Littleguy
If you haven't heard of them, Junction Produce will get you all of the JDM VIP goodness you want.

http://www.junctionvip.com/jupr.html
Sorry, but no cigar. The table they have appears to be for the front passenger. No folding trays for the back. But it is good to know that someone may be thinking of making such a mod available.

BTW, when I was on their site, I came across this pic. I think this is way too extreme and fugly. Oh well, different strokes for different folks....
Old 09-15-16, 04:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
You offer some good commentary, then other times its commentary with a touch of choice supportive bias

There is statistical evidence when recalls are issued. You can search the net or call your dealer for that. You can have someone check the postage on all the warranty extensions on the brake actuators aka sketchy abs love letters. There are things I'm omitting (i.e. sticky dash). Let us be reasonable
i am being reasonable when I say that the LS is one of the most reliable cars on the road. I've owned them for 18 years, find me some independent source of data that shows that not to be the case, such as the above information from Edmunds. Most reliable doesn't mean perfect, but few of the issues you've posted are typical LS, problems, and control arms are not $6k, and they were redone in late 2010. Peeling trim and new B pillars? If it sits outside and isn't cared for that will happen to any car. Door hinges?!? You will have issues with any vehicle that's 10 years old, but there is no doubt in my mind you will have less issues in a 10 year old LS than a 10 year old XJ.

There re is no unbiased evidence that would lead anybody to believe the Jaguar XJ is anywhere near as reliable or inexpensive to own and maintain as the Lexus LS. If you can find some evidence, post it here.

And as ive said before, if your LS is such a hunk of junk, ditch it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-15-16 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 05:38 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
i am being reasonable when I say that the LS is one of the most reliable cars on the road. I've owned them for 18 years, find me some independent source of data that shows that not to be the case, such as the above information from Edmunds. Most reliable doesn't mean perfect, but few of the issues you've posted are typical LS, problems, and control arms are not $6k, and they were redone in late 2010. Peeling trim and new B pillars? If it sits outside and isn't cared for that will happen to any car. Door hinges?!? You will have issues with any vehicle that's 10 years old, but there is no doubt in my mind you will have less issues in a 10 year old LS than a 10 year old XJ.

There re is no unbiased evidence that would lead anybody to believe the Jaguar XJ is anywhere near as reliable or inexpensive to own and maintain as the Lexus LS. If you can find some evidence, post it here.

And as ive said before, if your LS is such a hunk of junk, ditch it.
An LS has a lower cost to own than an XJ, and it is more reliable than an S class. Owning two S-class cars could be kind of weird because I can see both cars in the shop at the same time; hence the LS is a good idea. Simply because Toyota redesigned a part or put a recall on an issue doesn't mean the issue never happened.

The control arm service on an LS is not $6K in all markets, in Lexus of B. Hills you'll pay north of $8K; which is more in concert with a MB repair bill.

If there was no solution to the "LS floaty suspension" it would be out of here. It's the same reason I don't have a 1984 Lincoln Town Car. Thanks for your sage, hurt feelings, or biased advice (whichever you're more comfy with): if your LS is such a hunk of junk, ditch it.

Last edited by superdenso; 09-15-16 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 05:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Tell that to the people that have had their control arms replaced for $3k.

Even with that issue, the LS still leads in reliability and cost of,ownership.

Where is your data? You haven't posted it because there isn't anything that says otherwise. The car is highly regarded as being one of the best built most reliable cars on the road.
Old 09-15-16, 06:23 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Even with that issue, the LS still leads in reliability and cost of,ownership.

Where is your data? You haven't posted it because there isn't anything that says otherwise. The car is highly regarded as being one of the best built most reliable cars on the road.
Kind of interesting where the A8 lines up on the 5year CTO

Civic-$4K
RLX-$8K
Audi A8-$9.5k
LS- $10K
S550-$18k

http://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/2015/cost-to-own/
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/ls-460/2016/cost-to-own/
http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a8/2015/cost-to-own/

You won't get a control arm job done for $3k at a Lex dealer in MD lol
Old 09-15-16, 06:31 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
I have never noticed the folding trays for the rear passengers before. Seems like an obvious thing to do. Does any other automaker have it? I know the Executive package has the tray for the the right rear. Maybe the latest 7 series has them. But not the S-class.

my 1997 rolls Royce silver spur had them. All rolls Royce's have them and some Bentleys. I'm pretty sure I saw on this forum that some people have used 90's jaguar vanden plas tables in some LS's as a mod.
Old 09-15-16, 07:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Kind of interesting where the A8 lines up on the 5year CTO

Civic-$4K
RLX-$8K
Audi A8-$9.5k
LS- $10K
S550-$18k

http://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/2015/cost-to-own/
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/ls-460/2016/cost-to-own/
http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a8/2015/cost-to-own/

You won't get a control arm job done for $3k at a Lex dealer in MD lol
Modern Audis are not unreliable at all, thats a common misconception.

There re are other places to get repairs done than Lexus dealers. People are foolish to pay the Lexus dealer to do repairs like that, paying 3+ times more than you have to.

My my feelings are not hurt, lol I and others are just tired of hearing you complain. If you don't like the car just get rid of it, we'd all appreciate not having to read your negativity all the time. We actually like the car the way it was designed to be, different strokes for different folks.
Old 09-15-16, 07:01 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Or HALF that cost even.

Such "cheaper" options aren't even available with Jags, BMW's and the like. You're screwed.
Old 09-15-16, 07:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Or HALF that cost even.

Such "cheaper" options aren't even available with Jags, BMW's and the like. You're screwed.
Exactly. If somebody is dumb enough to pay Lexus $6k or $8k!! For that repair they deserve what they get. It's an old,car, shop it around.

Hell im not going to pay Lexus $600 to do a 30k service I can have done for $250 and mines brand new.
Old 09-15-16, 09:56 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Modern Audis are not unreliable at all, thats a common misconception.
There re are other places to get repairs done than Lexus dealers. People are foolish to pay the Lexus dealer to do repairs like that, paying 3+ times more than you have to.
My my feelings are not hurt, lol I and others are just tired of hearing you complain. If you don't like the car just get rid of it, we'd all appreciate not having to read your negativity all the time. We actually like the car the way it was designed to be, different strokes for different folks.
  • "Modern Audis are not unreliable at all"
This can't be addressed because it is poorly written due to the double negative, rephrase what you mean and repost. I do with my money and my time what I will. If you don't like it get a therapist.
  • "I and others are just tired of hearing you complain. If you don't like the car just get rid of it, we'd all appreciate not having to read your negativity all the time. We actually like the..."
This is an example of Projection Bias. When you join a public forum you don't speak for everyone on that forum, nor on Earth or on the NET; and when you join a forum there is a chance someone may disagree with you. Have a coke and a smile and realize you are smaller than you thought. If you lean on biases you always feel better about yourself and your ideas. Exactly who is this "WE" group you're so bravely standing up for lol have 2 seats don't get all tuckered out

Fact is I would never tell someone the LS460 is a perfect car because it is not. If I wanted a Jag I would buy one instead of the LS. If you can't afford to pay $5K a year to repair the thing then you should pass. More importantly, if we're talking 5year Cost to Own in DIY dollars the LS is not $10k and the Jag is not $25K. All the Edmunds numbers are useless if you're capable of executing repairs yourself.

Last edited by superdenso; 09-16-16 at 05:17 AM.
Old 09-15-16, 10:45 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LS430FL
my 1997 rolls Royce silver spur had them. All rolls Royce's have them and some Bentleys. I'm pretty sure I saw on this forum that some people have used 90's jaguar vanden plas tables in some LS's as a mod.
I couldn't find anything in the LS460 or LS430 forums about installing tray tables from the Jag.

There was a really nice install in a 740iL done a while back. It would be nice to get some instructions to consider further.
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...s-almost-done&

The VIP products are mostly for the front console and nothing comes up for LS460. http://vipdout.com/tables/

I am quite intrigued by the prospects of this mod, but am not sure there is an easy solution for our car.
Old 09-16-16, 05:27 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

• "Modern Audis are not unreliable at all"
This can't be addressed because it is poorly written due to the double negative, rephrase what you mean and repost. I do with my money and my time what I will. If you don't like it get a therapist.
  • "I and others are just tired of hearing you complain. If you don't like the car just get rid of it, we'd all appreciate not having to read your negativity all the time. We actually like the..."
This is an example of Projection Bias. When you join a public forum you don't speak for everyone on that forum, nor on Earth or on the NET; and when you join a forum there is a chance someone may disagree with you. Have a coke and a smile and realize you are smaller than you thought. If you lean on biases you always feel better about yourself and your ideas. Exactly who is this "WE" group you're so bravely standing up for lol have 2 seats don't get all tuckered out

Fact is I would never tell someone the LS460 is a perfect car because it is not. If I wanted a Jag I would buy one instead of the LS. If you can't afford to pay $5K a year to repair the thing then you should pass. More importantly, if we're talking 5year Cost to Own in DIY dollars the LS is not $10k and the Jag is not $25K. All the Edmunds numbers are useless if you're capable of executing repairs yourself.
Seriously. Just stop. Trust me he speaks for many more than you think. Take it to PM if you'd like to go back and forth.

As for paying 6K for control arms? Never in a million years.
Old 09-16-16, 05:42 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Default Wake up call

Originally Posted by greg3852
Seriously. Just stop. Trust me he speaks for many more than you think. Take it to PM if you'd like to go back and forth.

As for paying 6K for control arms? Never in a million years.
You want to hear about some million year nevers: No Camrys in a million years. If the LS is so good why didn't you fork over the few pennies more and buy another one? Put your money where your bad attitude is.My wealth is not based on LS ratings so please don't PM; maybe we had a misunderstanding.

These fellas offer a good review of the LS as seen in dealerships. Check out the 0 to 60 at 7 seconds, and the description of the suspension as wallowing, 70's Lincoln-esque.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t&p=ls460+0+to+60#id=1&vid=93f509d18e77b786718755074c6d19de&action=click

Last edited by superdenso; 09-16-16 at 06:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Help.. I'm being seduced by a Jag!!!