LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cadillac Style-CT6

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 05:26 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
Same here! Growing bored of the "it's not the LS it's you" response too
lets just say that you like to cherry pick...love it actually. That fair?

I'm probably the last person in the world that would make excuses for a car - that's not me - if a car is bad I'd tell you and everyone how bad it is. That's just the way I am. Im not one of these 430 owners that run around pretending that my car never breaks or glorifies every damn thing about it. I see no value in that because it's not real. And I've read plenty of that over on the 430 side of the house...my car never breaks (except for my steering wheel, mirrors, timing belts, this noise, that noise). And those are great cars, I agree, but like the 460, some things are going to fail.

The problem with the LS460 is right off the bat it had the valve spring recall....a $75,000 dollar car had a major problem. So if I had spent $75,000 grand, then yup, I'd be pissed. Now let's all agree...that valve spring recall...the valve springs...have NOT been an issue on these cars. They fixed it. No problems associated with it. But the damage was done reputation wise. The glorified LS was now a lemon. And then the control arm failures came next, people were paying $4,000 to have them repaired by Lexus! Disastrous for the 460 reputation that had already been damaged by the valve spring recall, because a 430 would never have a problem like that...nor would a 400. And now the control arms went?? At low mileage on some cars? At those prices? And then the brake actuator crept in on some people (another huge repair). And some people have had hesitation issues of various degrees.

But here's the thing....the valve springs are a none issue. Zero. The control arms are easily replaced by independent shops - even easily replaced by owners themselves (I believe you repaired your's yourself, I did too, easily for around $500). The brake actuator is now covered under an extended factory warranty and anyone that paid for it previously can be reimbursed. The hesitation issue is not an issue for most people; I can count on one hand the number of people that were effected by it and it turned into a major repair. Other than that? Pretty damn reliable. I have nearly 140,000 miles on mine with virtually zero issues. We are now seeing these cars with close to 300,000 miles with very minimal problems. I have seen reports of three LS460's over the last month with over 200,000 miles with less repairs done to them than you'd find on a Toyota Corolla. I put my car through hell every single week...600 miles of driving every week. Up and down highways, stuck in traffic, kids in and out of the car, parking lots, snow, rain. I need the car every single day. If this car had problems I'd sell it in five minutes....gone...and I'd write about how bad it was and how it disappointed me. Believe me on that. And I'd get roasted by everyone on here and I wouldn't care, I'd tell it like it is. But I can't do that because it's been an absolute beast...a tank...a magnificent ride...like nothing I've ever seen before. So that's what I tell people.
Old 10-29-16, 07:08 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

New model or complete makeover cars are always a crapshoot. LS460 in 2007 needed extensive warranty repairs. Mercedes new V6 in all their cars in 06 all failed right out of warranty but Mercedes told tens of thousands of people to go to hell. Volvo was notorious for first year failures. They came out with a diesel and every one failed. Now they have a new XC90 2016 and 17 all with nightmare software problems. The owner reviews on them are freightening. The dealers can't even fix them. Bottom line if you can't take the heat stay clear of new models and complete makeovers.
Old 10-29-16, 07:17 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Dblb, I won't repost ur essay, but try to follow ur logic: you own a car that's had engine work among other repairs and it's the best you've ever owned. That statement lets me understand why Hyundai G90 could be considered after owning an LS. How bad could it be?

We have different experiences with regards to reliability; the LS has a few where my Acuras had zero. Maybe you don't get it others have seen reliable cars that don't require rebuilds. So from my perspective your statements about reliability with asterisks or not including valve springs is absurd/fairytales are for a different audience.
Old 10-29-16, 07:21 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
New model or complete makeover cars are always a crapshoot. LS460 in 2007 needed extensive warranty repairs. Mercedes new V6 in all their cars in 06 all failed right out of warranty but Mercedes told tens of thousands of people to go to hell. Volvo was notorious for first year failures. They came out with a diesel and every one failed. Now they have a new XC90 2016 and 17 all with nightmare software problems. The owner reviews on them are freightening. The dealers can't even fix them. Bottom line if you can't take the heat stay clear of new models and complete makeovers.
the thing is it wasn't just 07's with build and component issues. This thread about the CT6 is right back to excuses. Here's one you can use: either it is reliable or it isn't.
Old 10-29-16, 07:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Google "Acura" and "transmission" lol

Bottom line is every carmaker has issues from time to time. You choose to look at the worst possible situation and assume that situation applies to every owner in spite of ample evidence from non biased third parties that isn't the case.

Sorry if we're enthusiastic overall here in the LS460 enthusiasts forum.
Old 10-29-16, 07:29 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Google "Acura" and "transmission" lol

Bottom line is every carmaker has issues from time to time. You choose to look at the worst possible situation and assume that situation applies to every owner in spite of ample evidence from non biased third parties that isn't the case.

Sorry if we're enthusiastic overall here in the LS460 enthusiasts forum.
enthusiasm gets ppl out of bed everyday. I enjoy my LS, it's splendid. But when ppl ask me what it is I tell them w/o attaching my feelings. Shouldn't need to lie about a car to sleep at nite

If you don't change the fluids Acura transmissions fail; that's my experience. I've owned 3 longitudinal mounted and one HDtransverse mount. All with oem transmissions.

sw-I bet it costs less to swap an Acura Legend Trans at the dealer than to change LS front control arms @ $6000

Last edited by superdenso; 10-29-16 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-29-16, 07:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you don't change the transmission fluid transmissions fail, many Acura owners who followed the manufacturers maintenance schedules had transmissions fail under 70k miles. Sounds like excuses are being made to me.

Your experience is fine, but what you do is consistently throw your opinion in everybody's face and every time somebody posts their own positive viewpoint you have to challenge them and accuse them of "making excuses". It's tiresome. This is the LS460 enthusiasts forum, and we have a right to be able to post positive things about our car without you constantly challenging us and dragging our threads down. It's tiresome. You say when asked you tell the truth...we'll I haven't seen anybody ask...
Old 10-29-16, 07:51 AM
superdenso
Instructor

You haven't heard anyone ask me because you're not on my guest list

Acura Trans fail is specific to late 90's TL's. Just like all Lexus' models control arms don't fail. You're reaching again.

Last edited by superdenso; 10-29-16 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-29-16, 09:26 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Super, let me keep it shorter for you - my three paragraphs must have gotten a little too deep?

Acura transmissions are not just specific to the late 90's. The transmissions grenade, they have a week first and second gear.

I literally can find 10,000 internet pages on Acura transmission failures, but I'll just link a couple. If you know anything about cars, it's that Honda/Acura, had an absolutely disgraceful problem with transmissions from 1998-2004 and beyond (even now they are having problems with their new models).Maybe the worst case of transmission failure in the entire industry (might even be worse than the Chrysler mini van). And there was no "repair" for it, just replacement. During those years they also had problems with engine cradles, misfires, evap, egr, control arms (yes control arms), engine mounts and fuel tanks. And they are considered great cars, I'm serious.

http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/acu...5AFVVVPJT6E31Q
http://repairpal.com/automatic-transmission-issues-458
Old 10-29-16, 10:32 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Trans failures avg mileage is over 100k miles. This is the support you want to use? Lol. FYI-Honda built and supplied 3.5v6 engines to GM for use of the Escalade ext silhouette...they must do something right

http://repairpal.com/automatic-transmission-issues-458

Last edited by superdenso; 10-29-16 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-29-16, 10:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have a good friend who had his transmission fail at 61,000 miles on his 2003 Accord. So let me get this straight, here you're willing to use statistical information to override personal experience, yet when we try and do the same thing as pertains to the LS460 then we're "making excuses"? Hilarious.

Oh and your comment about Honda supplying engines to GM, well we've talked about GM not exactly having a history of ring about reliability, but do you know who makes the only automotive engine reliable enough to be approved by the FAA for use in aircraft? That would be Toyota, and specifically the Lexus V8. "Must be doing something right"
Old 10-29-16, 11:36 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Sw-while you're clowning around with dreams of becoming the next Red Baron...Honda builds Jets

http://www.hondajet.com/#2
Old 10-29-16, 11:51 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Better talk would be LFA vs NSX... The NSX can best a Lamborghini Aventador to 60 (by more than a car length) and an LFA cannot; Acura does it at 1/2 the price.

Last edited by superdenso; 10-29-16 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-29-16, 11:57 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

LOL. My 2002 Acura which I sold earlier this year not only needed a transmission, but several front end suspension parts, including lower control arms, all before 100k miles. Several interior trim parts needed attention as well. My partner's Acura has had her trans done as well and also spent a few days in the shop having the head gasket and heads done. That doesn't make them unreliable, but it was certainly more unreliable than my LS.

What I don't understand is why you wonder why we act like fan boys. Imagine that....on an LS Lexus forum!

You're right though, Lexus doesn't make jets.They do make hoverboards though. Does that make you feel any better about your car? LOL
Old 10-29-16, 12:21 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Roadfrog, what (year/model) Acura are we talking about...that your "partner" owns? RL, RLX or a Legend

btw-Acura makes the best supercar from Japan, is the LFA third? It can't top or challenge Godzilla (gtr)...so it must be third best at double the $$. Let's talk cars or planes but kids toys is definitely a different forum/ kids games are at toys r us

Last edited by superdenso; 10-29-16 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Cadillac Style-CT6