LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rear-ended!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-16, 12:23 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Rear-ended!!

My initial intention was to post this yesterday with photos, but I ended up not having the time to do so, plus its been pretty cloudy and rainy, so the photos wouldn't have shown much.
All in all, the damage isn't all that bad, but its enough for it to be a blemish and I will be having it taken care of.
Mostly scratches and 2 sizeable dents to the rear bumper cover.
I know its been said before, but this car is truly built like a tank.

It was pretty dark and rainy all morning yesterday, and I had decided to head to the hardware store to pick up a few items for a project im working on at home.
The car ahead of me came to a rather abrupt stop, which caused me to do so as well. However, the car behind me, driven by a 20 year old with a friend in the passenger seat and her phone in hand (I know her age due to seeing her DL and regarding seeing her phone in her hand, that's how much I was able to see looking into my rear view mirror as she was approaching).

I had some space between me and the car ahead of me so I slowly crept forward, but tried to leave enough space between myself and the car ahead of me, as not to rear end him upon being impacted from the rear.
She looks up, slams the brakes and between the wet pavement, going to fast, not paying attention, suspension that needed work (something she divulged while we awaiting the police), and needed new tires, there was no way she was not going to hit me.

I felt the impact, shook my head and slowly went to pull over into a small parking lot.
I first got out and made sure that the two young ladies were ok, then looked at her car which had a buckled front bumper. I then turned to look at the rear of my car-scratches and two dents.

I was pretty shocked because the way the impact felt, which wasn't anything major, but I was sure the bumper was knocked loose. Nothing at all.
Both the girls and the police officer were shocked at how well the LS took the hit and how badly the older Ford Fusion's front bumper buckled.

Hate that I have to do this, but now begins my journey to find a reputable body shop who does an excellent job painting vehicles.

Photos will be posted soon.
Old 10-07-16, 01:07 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 453 Likes on 337 Posts

CRowe14

Sorry about the accident. Glad nobody was hurt. Was the young lady charged for texting while driving or using the phone? It drives me crazy when I see folks looking down at their phones while they are driving. I don't text, I don't receive texts and I don't talk on my phone other than through hands free on the LS.

Dennis
Old 10-07-16, 01:21 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In canada, you will need to go back take driving classes if you get caught looking at your phone while driving. Cops will dress up as pedestrians(like male holding gym bags waiting for buses) to check on you at intersections.
Old 10-07-16, 01:24 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
CRowe14

Sorry about the accident. Glad nobody was hurt. Was the young lady charged for texting while driving or using the phone? It drives me crazy when I see folks looking down at their phones while they are driving. I don't text, I don't receive texts and I don't talk on my phone other than through hands free on the LS.

Dennis
Hey Dennis!
Thanks for the sentiments, and I was glad they seemed to be okay as well.
To answer your question, they were not charged with anything, as the officer seemed pretty lax and told me that with the little bit of damage my car sustained, I didn't even have to call the police and we could have handled it between one another. I was a bit shocked that he even said that, due to the nature of the situation. I am from the school of thought were, in the event of an accident, especially when its not your fault/in the event you are rear-ended, you ALWAYS call the police!
Perhaps it would have been made an issue if I had said something, but I didn't, as she was pretty shaken up by the entire situation.
It was clear that much of her anxiety was coming from telling her parents that she had been involved in yet another accident.
Again, while waiting for the officer to arrive, she tells me that she and her brother managed to get their parents dropped by All State last year due to her bother racking up two speeding tickets within 4 months and she having two accidents.
I also took a photo of her DL and insurance card and saw that she just obtained the policy she has now, on the 15th of October, and that just last week she lost control of her car and hit a light post, but wont file it because she doesn't have the money.
I thought to myself, "It really seems apparent that you should be allowed to drive!!"
Old 10-07-16, 01:32 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Glad you are okay.

Hope you find a good repair facility and get it back soon.

Take care

Cubby
Old 10-07-16, 01:37 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

I bumped into a deer at 30mph in the city 2 months ago. Deer ran away. Insurance est is USD4200($1900 headlight+new panel above the light+put back bumper). After my car is in the body shop this week, it turned out I need a brand new bumper.

We have public insurance and we can get a cheque back every year it has some surplus. From my experience, I always get a new bumper everytime I get a little hit
Old 10-07-16, 01:50 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Glad you're ok, sorry to hear about the accident. Such a bummer.
Old 10-07-16, 02:21 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

CRowe14, sorry about the fender bender. Glad to hear no one was hurt. Please go to a well-regarded body shop for the repairs, and let them deal with your insurance company to make sure you get the best value for your money (deductible).

When I bought my car in February, the rear bumper had been repaired but it had not been mounted properly after the repair. There was a slight misalignment that I did not catch before the sale. It bothered me to no end. I finally got it aligned properly in August when I got some hail damage fixed. Turns out that even though there was no significant damage to the rear bumper (the foam insert behind the bumper was not damaged or deformed), the body shop had to stretch the frame a tiny bit to align the bumper and trunk lid perfectly.
Old 10-07-16, 02:38 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

CRowe14, sorry to hear about it glad everyone is OK. Hope car will be repaired to original condition.
Old 10-07-16, 02:39 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yikes, sorry to hear about your accident. Glad everyone was ok.

This is like the second or third reported rear end since I joined. Distracted driving is not good, assuming they were distracted, which they probably were if they didn't see you.

I hope your car car is fixed soon. I'm sure it will turn out looking like nothing happened to it.
Old 10-07-16, 03:26 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I'm sure it will turn out looking like nothing happened to it.
That never happened to me. From my experience, factory paint is always much better than body shop paint.
Old 10-07-16, 03:29 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

From the gap between panels, you can always tell if it has been replaced or not.
Old 10-07-16, 03:31 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Geez CRowe.....I'm just glad you're ok!! Worry not, your car will look better than new when all is done. A good body shop will make short work of it. When I sought out a shop after my deer strike (the deer lost lol), I googled reviews of local body shops. Found a few 5 stars and the work done by the one I selected was top-notch. Ironically, a GM dealership!
Old 10-07-16, 06:56 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 453 Likes on 337 Posts

CRowe

Did you mean to type 15 September instead of 15 October? Because if the insurance card really said 15 Oct then I would guess that is when it goes into effect. You might want to look at the photo of the insurance card and see when the covered period is for?

Dennis
Old 10-07-16, 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Sorry to hear!

And with a good shop, you absolutely can get a repair that you'all never be able to tell.

Quick Reply: Rear-ended!!