LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How to find a (good) independent repair shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24, 01:06 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,193 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
Or, they will charge less per hour but take longer and cost more due to "difficulties" they had with the repair.

There is no winning.
Aka they didn't know what they are doing. Sometimes it's the customers being stupid though and not doing what you ask them to do lol!
Old 01-30-24, 01:13 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 792 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Sometimes it's the customers being stupid though and not doing what you ask them to do lol!
Wait, are you saying the customer isnt always right haha.
The following users liked this post:
Striker223 (01-30-24)
Old 01-30-24, 01:19 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Wait, are you saying the customer isnt always right haha.
No, sometimes they INSIST they know better and argue or buy the wrong parts since they don't trust me to not up-charge. They learn quickly that I don't do that and they should probably listen lol
Old 01-30-24, 01:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

When dealing with customers I have found that most often they are actually wrong lol
Old 01-30-24, 01:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
When dealing with customers I have found that most often they are actually wrong lol
Or they don't listen. When I outright say "hey, I'm a 1 man shop so when I say bring the car in on a particular day you HAVE TO if you want it done when I said it will be done"

The concept just doesn't land with some people and they complain it's done a day later than said when they dropped off two days late for an engine replacement......

I also try and explain if you tell me "get to it when you have time" that I'm going to take you literally. Then without fail I get a call every day asking "is it done" and I have to say "well no, you just dropped it at my shop with instructions to "get to it whenever" and didn't even tell me it's coming.

It's mostly fine though since my core customer base is good, it's the randoms that annoy me but they learn or they go elsewhere. The only ones I have an issue with are those who want me for the price/ability to actually do things correctly/fairly but still just think the world revolves around them. I'm starting to screen those type with 40% higher prices so if they really want it I at least get paid to deal with them lol!

My good customers also are more than welcome to watch me work if they want.

Last edited by Striker223; 01-30-24 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-30-24, 02:52 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 792 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by HJP12
there is another guy in the Chicago area that has a you tube channel called "The car care nut". He is a master Toyota/Lexus mechanic and his videos will give you very good maintenance recommendations but a little far from CA.
Yes, he is a very multi talented individual. Here he is explaining how a fur ball is ejected from a cats digestive system.

Last edited by Gerf; 04-02-24 at 04:51 PM.
SW17LS (01-30-24)
Old 01-30-24, 05:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I personally, being a professional, find professionals I trust and then listen to them lol
Old 01-31-24, 07:33 AM
HJP12
Pit Crew

Received 136 Likes on 66 Posts
Talking

Yes, he is a very multi talented individual. Here he is explaining how a fur ball is ejected from a cats digestive system.
I saw that video and and then got rid of my cat
Old 02-02-24, 05:59 AM
JohnnyC407
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bliz460
So I really want a newer 2013 or 2014 LS460. There's a couple other posts about where to find one etc.

I called my insurance and the costs aren't so bad. About a third more than I'm paying now for my VW Golf.

and then today I called a nearby "certified" Lexus repair shop. Independent and not a dealer but still their web site looks like they know what they are talking about. Now perhaps the guy just didn't want to talk because he wasn't going to make any money off me, but he was VERY unenthusiastic about talking at all. Like one word answers, etc.

My questions.... do y'all go to the dealer for repairs or an independent shop.

My bigger question: Is the Lexus LS460 more expensive to maintain than say a 2015 F150 Kings Ranch (my wife's vehicle.)

For example, if I buy a gently used 460 will maintenance and repairs send me to the poor house? From everything I read here these cars are ultra reliable and practically bullet proof. The mechanic I spoke with today sounded like doom and gloom.

And yes, this forum is awesome! I'm reading as much as I can about these cars and trying to soak up enough information to not be a newbie Lexus buyer when I go plunk down some money for one. So thank you in advance....
Check reviews for mentions of them not conforming to the quote they gave. I was a fraud auditor and the biggest red flag is them not giving a written quote or trying not to adhere to it. If they refuse to give you a written quote then they are going to scam you. Walk away and give them a bad review. In most states they are also REQUIRED by law to ask for permission to go beyond the quote.
Old 02-02-24, 07:10 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,273 Likes on 984 Posts

I find YELP to be a good place to find places that customers love or hate. Not always enough reviews but worth looking. Also do a search for customer complaints on a named shop. IN San Diego, I found a shop that specializes in Lexus, their hourly rate is similar to dealer but there's personal service and they discouraged me from doing unnecessary maintenances as my mileage was low.
Old 02-02-24, 12:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swfla
I find YELP to be a good place to find places that customers love or hate. Not always enough reviews but worth looking. Also do a search for customer complaints on a named shop. IN San Diego, I found a shop that specializes in Lexus, their hourly rate is similar to dealer but there's personal service and they discouraged me from doing unnecessary maintenances as my mileage was low.
The issue with Yelp is they suppress reviews. As a business owner who has seen that side of Yelp, I no longer use Yelp.
Old 02-02-24, 01:12 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,273 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The issue with Yelp is they suppress reviews. As a business owner who has seen that side of Yelp, I no longer use Yelp.
Is it negative reviews they suppress? I'm glad you responded with this info. I recall stories of people being sued by business owners for leaving negative reviews that weren't completely true and honest. Social media and many websites that offer reviews have become so unreliable and filled with fake reviews.
Old 02-02-24, 01:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swfla
Is it negative reviews they suppress? I'm glad you responded with this info. I recall stories of people being sued by business owners for leaving negative reviews that weren't completely true and honest. Social media and many websites that offer reviews have become so unreliable and filled with fake reviews.
Its both positive and negative reviews, and I cannot see any reason why some are suppressed and some are not. Its very strange, and Yelp won't elaborate on what causes them to suppress a review...
swfla (02-02-24)