LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Putting 18 inch chrome wheels on my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-16, 11:43 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts
Post Putting 18 inch chrome wheels on my car

I am interested to get 18 inch chrome wheels instead of the 19 inch alloys I currently have. First, I like the idea of chrome wheels to match the door and window trims. Second, with 18 inch wheels, I feel that installing the Pirelli Cinturatos would make my car ride smoother and quieter than now. I have photoshopped 18 inch wheels on my car. I would appreciate any comments.

If I decide to do this, I would have to swap my 19" wheels for 18" wheels. I don't want to buy a 2nd set of wheels and tires. Would a Lexus dealer help me with this? Has anyone done this? Thanks for your help.

19 inch

18 inch
Old 10-20-16, 01:41 AM
salesguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Discount tire charges $80 for an unmount - remount & balance. That's what you want.

Happy to trade you my 19" chrome wheels for your alloys
Old 10-20-16, 03:32 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I went the exact opposite route, going from 18 to 19.

I actually think the 19s ride just as well. I couldn't tell the difference. In fact, the Pirelli 19s are quieter than the OEM Michilen 18s.

Old 10-20-16, 06:23 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I went the exact opposite route, going from 18 to 19.
I actually think the 19s ride just as well. I couldn't tell the difference. In fact, the Pirelli 19s are quieter than the OEM Michilen 18s.
Thanks, Rhambler, looks like your 19s are also chrome-plated alloy. They look great. I like the 5/7 split-spoke wheels more than the 19 turbine blades. Do all these have the hollow spokes that is supposed to reduce tire vibration? I know the split-spokes do, but not sure about the turbine blades. Regarding the tires, it looks like the Pirelli Cinturatos may be quieter than Michelins on 18 and 19 wheels. I have Michelin MXM4s now, and things are pretty quiet; I am hoping Cinturatos on 18s will be even more quiet.

So, how did you actually execute the swap? Or did you get a second set of wheels and tires?

Originally Posted by salesguy
Discount tire charges $80 for an unmount - remount & balance. That's what you want. Happy to trade you my 19" chrome wheels for your alloys
Thanks, salesguy, do send me pics of your chrome 19s. I was considering one of those tire-exchange sites that send chrome-plated OEM alloy wheels of the same design in exchange for the alloy ones plus the plating charge. That way, I can send them my alloy wheels after receiving the chrome wheels.
Old 10-20-16, 07:38 AM
salesguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by comotiger
Thanks, salesguy, do send me pics of your chrome 19s. I was considering one of those tire-exchange sites that send chrome-plated OEM alloy wheels of the same design in exchange for the alloy ones plus the plating charge. That way, I can send them my alloy wheels after receiving the chrome wheels.
AC:

Here is a picture of mine. It would be so much easier to execute locally. Shipping is only really feasible without a tire installed as well, I think.

Unless I can find someone local to the NC area, I'll probably ride these chrome boys until the tires are toast, then get new tires mounted on another set of rims. Then sell off the chrome ones w/out tires, to recoup some costs.

But...if I find another LS460 owner locally that wants them then it's an easy wheel/tire for wheel/tire swap (plus/minus some cash).

Ugh - the pictures. I rotated the originals to they are flipped vertically and they STILL end up upside down when posted. *sigh*
Attached Thumbnails Putting 18 inch chrome wheels on my car-img_7129-2.jpg   Putting 18 inch chrome wheels on my car-img_7127-2.jpg  
Old 10-20-16, 07:51 AM
Bliz460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comotiger: I know it's just personal preference, but I think the 19" wheels in the top picture look better.

Plus i I think a larger wheel should roll smoother over a rough road than a smaller wheel.

But, ya gotta do what makes you happy....It just seems like a lot of money for a small detail.

Last edited by Bliz460; 10-20-16 at 07:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-20-16, 08:05 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Salesguy, let me help you to rotate the pic.

Initially I like your chrome rims, but looking at the pic again, now I understand why you don't like it. your chrome rims grab too much attentions and make your car less shinny. Rim and body together don't look balanced.
Old 10-20-16, 08:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,954 Posts

The 19s look better for sure, no doubt about that. I drove multiple LS460s back to back with the 19s and 18s and found that to me the 18s definitely provided a noticeably softer response to bumps and expansion joints, etc. The car rides great either way, but I wanted the best ride I could get and the 18s gave me that so thats why I went that direction. Before I went to the expense of making that swap I would drive a few LS's on the 18s and see if the difference is worth it to you. Its going to cost you some money...

Originally Posted by Bliz460
Plus i I think a larger wheel should roll smoother over a rough road than a smaller wheel.
No offense, but that doesn't make sense. Issue is that the diameter of the wheel/tire combo on the 18s and 19s is the same, so when you add an inch to the wheel diameter, you naturally subtract an inch from the width of the tire's sidewall to achieve the overall same diameter. When you make the sidewall thinner you reduce the tire's ability to absorb the impact of bumps and ruts, etc, so always when you increase wheel size on the same overall diameter setup you reduce ride quality somewhat. If you put 17 inch wheels on the same overall setup ride quality would improve over the 18s. 17s however would not clear the brakes.

Increasing tire diameter has benefits...it looks better generally, and cars with larger diameter wheels tend to handle better and feel more planted.

But, the primary reason I got the LS was its smooth and quiet ride, so thats why ultimately I chose the 18s.

Do all these have the hollow spokes that is supposed to reduce tire vibration? I know the split-spokes do, but not sure about the turbine blades.
So, hollow chambers. The 18s that I have and you photoshopped above have the hollow chambers, The 19s that Rhambler put on his LS have the hollow chambers. The 19s you have do not, nor do the F Sport wheels that salesguy has.

Ultimately, I doubt you'd notice a difference.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-20-16 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-20-16, 08:10 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bliz460
Comotiger: I know it's just personal preference, but I think the 19" wheels in the top picture look better.

I second with you
Old 10-20-16, 08:38 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Thanks, y'all, I greatly appreciate the opinions. The 19 turbine blades do look nice, but with the split spokes, one can also see more of the rotors and calipers. At some point, I may paint the calipers black with white logos that would show better thru the wheels. Red calipers are not for me, they are a bit too bright.

Even if I decide against switching to 18s, I am still intrigued by chrome-plating my 19s. I have searched the web but not found any images for chrome 19s in the turbine design. If any CLer has such a car or seen such images, please share.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The 19s look better for sure, no doubt about that. I drove multiple LS460s back to back with the 19s and 18s and found that to me the 18s definitely provided a noticeably softer response to bumps and expansion joints, etc. The car rides great either way, but I wanted the best ride I could get and the 18s gave me that so thats why I went that direction. Before I went to the expense of making that swap I would drive a few LS's on the 18s and see if the difference is worth it to you. Its going to cost you some money...
Ideally, I would like to test 18s on P7s on my car before deciding, but that may be asking too much. I am going to ask my Lexus SA if he could arrange for a trial on 18s while they hold on to my 19s. Fingers crossed. As for cost, I would try to find gently used 18s to swap for my 19s, and hopefully break even. The main added cost would be the new tires.
Old 10-20-16, 08:44 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salesguy
AC:
Here is a picture of mine. It would be so much easier to execute locally. Shipping is only really feasible without a tire installed as well, I think.
Unless I can find someone local to the NC area, I'll probably ride these chrome boys until the tires are toast, then get new tires mounted on another set of rims. Then sell off the chrome ones w/out tires, to recoup some costs.
But...if I find another LS460 owner locally that wants them then it's an easy wheel/tire for wheel/tire swap (plus/minus some cash).
I agree. I can't imagine leaving my car on jacks without the wheels while a long-distance swap is being executed!

I like your rims. Are they the original ones that came with the car? I am going to photoshop those on my car and take a look
Old 10-20-16, 09:21 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Here is a suggestion also... I know you mentioned Lexus helping you out above not sure if you meant to say this but no idea if Lexus would do this but if you have a good relationship with someone there, keep your eyes open for a 13+ LS460 to come in on the preowned lot that has the rims you want. Many 13's should be coming off lease and will pop up on the dealers lot. Head over there tell them you got your car from there and maybe they would do it. If both cars had equal tread depth on the tires I don't see why they wouldn't. I know the 07-16 wheels can all be used, but I like the wheel choices on the 13+ cars better than the 07-12 model years. Just an idea! I like your car either way!
Old 10-20-16, 09:34 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts
Thumbs up

I am interested to get 18 inch chrome wheels instead of the 19 inch alloys I currently have. First, I like the idea of chrome wheels to match the door and window trims. Second, with 18 inch wheels, I feel that installing the Pirelli Cinturatos would make my car ride smoother and quieter than now. I have photoshopped 18 inch wheels on my car. I would appreciate any comments.

If I decide to do this, I would have to swap my 19" wheels for 18" wheels. I don't want to buy a 2nd set of wheels and tires. Would a Lexus dealer help me with this? Has anyone done this? Thanks for your help.

19 inch

18 inch
I think the "18 chrome wheels enhances your LS and they look much better than the 19". Can't comment on the ride quality but a black vehicle with chrome wheels always stands out. They look classy and not flashy.
Old 10-20-16, 09:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,954 Posts

If you're going to pay for 18s, I would look for the 18" chrome Telios wheels that were available on the 460 when it first came out. Imho they're better looking than the 18s I have.

I too go back and forth on chrome wheels. I like the look on the right car.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-20-16 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-20-16, 10:38 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

I run 20" wheels and tires until Winter, and then put on my 18" wheels with winter tires. I can't tell the difference in ride, except that the 20's handle much better and look SOOO much better.

Quick Reply: Putting 18 inch chrome wheels on my car