LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2017 Genesis G90, who's buying it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-16, 10:10 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You did not sit in a G90 last year at the car show. It's a brand new car, it wasn't at a car show last year.

And I own an LS460 and you don't lol, sorry to be blunt. The G90 is literally a "Hyundai LS", it clearly was designed directly to compete against the LS. Have you driven a G90? Have you even driven an LS460? I recall you saying you had not. How can you say the "LS exceeds it in every way"?

The LS is a great car, but remember it's at the end of its life and is going to be replaced with an all new LS next year. The current LS is a great car, but essentially it's 10 years old. It's not that the G90 is dramatically better, it's that its so very similar, a little bit better in a couple ways yet is such a great value that makes it such a compelling car. Like I said a few months ago, the LS still holds up compared to newer vehicles in its segment when you factor in the LS's relative value. Well, this car is an even better value.
How are you gonna tell what I sat in and what I didn't. This was when the car was just announced and it had been released to sell. Tf?
Old 11-02-16, 10:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
How are you gonna tell what I sat in and what I didn't. This was when the car was just announced and it had been released to sell. Tf?
Because there was no G90 last year, it was unveiled this year, and has just within the last couple weeks been released for sale.

Bottom line one is you're passing judgement on cars that you haven't even driven, and arguing with people who not only have driven them, but own one of the cars in question. The G90 meets or exceeds the LS460 in every driving, comfort and build quality measure from my experience having owned an LS460 (my third LS) for nearly two years, and having driven the new G90 back to back with my own LS460 on the same test loop. It's a really good car. That's not an insult to Lexus, that's a big compliment to Genesis.

All new LS out next year, perhaps then it will be different.

Try and have an open mind.
Old 11-02-16, 10:57 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Because there was no G90 last year, it was unveiled this year, and has just within the last couple weeks been released for sale.

Bottom line one is you're passing judgement on cars that you haven't even driven, and arguing with people who not only have driven them, but own one of the cars in question. The G90 meets or exceeds the LS460 in every driving, comfort and build quality measure from my experience having owned an LS460 (my third LS) for nearly two years, and having driven the new G90 back to back with my own LS460 on the same test loop. It's a really good car. That's not an insult to Lexus, that's a big compliment to Genesis.

All new LS out next year, perhaps then it will be different.

Try and have an open mind.
Yea I understand bro.
Old 11-02-16, 10:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hard to say with any credibility how one car compares to the other when you've never driven either car
Old 11-02-16, 11:01 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Hard to say with any credibility how one car compares to the other when you've never driven either car
But I'm telling you I sat in a g90 and did hyundais first luxury car it is outstanding. But I'm completely biased towards Lexus. LOL
Old 11-02-16, 11:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But I'm telling you I sat in a g90 and did hyundais first luxury car it is outstanding. But I'm completely biased towards Lexus. LOL
Its not their first luxury car, the Equus and Genesis came before it. Look past your bias and have an open mind, it's better for Lexus if their fans don't just blindly assume all of their products are the best.
Old 11-02-16, 11:10 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Steve, he says he sat in the G90 at the New York auto show, which is accurate. Maybe not in 2015 but in 2016. It's a separate issue whether they were letting people sit inside the display car.

Old 11-02-16, 11:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by comotiger
Steve, he says he sat in the G90 at the New York auto show, which is accurate. Maybe not in 2015 but in 2016. It's a separate issue whether they were letting people sit inside the display car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smBrPrOoD2g
That was not last years NY show, that was this years NY show. The car was unveiled at Detroit in 2016.
Old 11-02-16, 11:13 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Its not their first luxury car, the Equus and Genesis came before it. Look past your bias and have an open mind, it's better for Lexus if their fans don't just blindly assume all of their products are the best.
My bad I forgot those. But the equus was a flop. And the first genesis was nothing special. And I am talking about the 2016 nyc auto show not 15. I don't think this is being biased since Lexus and Benz compete and it's totally off topic but I'd choose a Lexus over the German brands as well.
Old 11-02-16, 11:15 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

That was not last years NY show, that was this years NY show. The car was unveiled at Detroit in 2016.
Yea my bad I meant last April.
Old 11-02-16, 11:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My bad I forgot those. But the equus was a flop. And the first genesis was nothing special. And I am talking about the 2016 nyc auto show not 15. I don't think this is being biased since Lexus and Benz compete and it's totally off topic but I'd choose a Lexus over the German brands as well.
Again, I love my LS but the only reason you would choose the LS over an S Class or even a 7 Series is cost, be it upfront cost where the LS is considerably cheaper, or ownership cost if you're going to keep it a long time. Those cars, especially the S Class are considerably more advanced than the current LS.

If you choose one product over another simply because of its brand without even having tried out either product that's the definition of bias.

Lexus IS still the underdog compared to German brands when it comes to out and out luxury, where they win is ownership cost and reliability. That's not a primary concern for everyone, and you see that in sales figures where the German cars outsell the LS easily.

Hopefully that hat changes with the new model. I think it will.
Old 11-02-16, 11:22 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

When I bought my LS, I also test drove a Genesis 5.0 SpecR. Not only was it a rocket, but very nice overall. I only went with the LS because of the deal I got. I could have very easily have ended up in the Genesis.
Old 11-03-16, 04:01 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Let me be the first to say it, it's a hard sell to park a Hynudai-KIA anything between a Phantom and a Pullman. If you don't know the difference between Versace and Saville Row this is not your concern. Hyundai-KIA is synonymous with "cheap". Until they address this facet of their products a G90, a G100, a Super Equus or a Genesis is Budget transport. Will the G90 be the best cheap car available? Maybe, but that would not be my concern. Don't really care who makes the best cheap car. HK has to change their MO and others have to spend their money to buy the MO change products; can't say I'm willing to be a part of that. Bologna and Pastrami are both food but their is a difference, same goes for G90 and LS.
Old 11-03-16, 04:46 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I remember when the first Lexus was rumored to be released in the 1990's to compete with BMW and Mercedes Benz, everybody had discussions just like the ones you hear on this forum thread. Demeaning it without even test driving it. Everybody laugh about how impossible it was for a Japanese car maker can be serious about making a real luxury car.

Well not soon after the LS 400 was released it taken the market by storm. Not only it was a great value, it performed better than any german Luxury brand and with reliability to boot. Does this sound familiar? This is exactly the position Hyundai is at right now. Just like the LS 400 way back when, Genesis as a brand is in its infancy but offers the G90 sedan at a great value with performance to boot. And reliability is good enought that i would not hesitate to own one.

Like i have said before. I have owned BMW, Lexus, Merc/benz. And i can tell you that Hyundai and Kia is not too far along in quality, fit and finish or reliability. Performance is right up there too. I have rented plenty of Hyundais in the past 3 years and i am impressed with design and quality of Korean cars. Not long ago i myself associated Hyundai and Kia as a cheap econo manufacturer. But this view has changed. If their mainstream cars are that good, i think thier Luxury cars would be even better.
Old 11-03-16, 05:39 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I remember when the first Lexus was rumored to be released in the 1990's to compete with BMW and Mercedes Benz, everybody had discussions just like the ones you hear on this forum thread. Demeaning it without even test driving it. Everybody laugh about how impossible it was for a Japanese car maker can be serious about making a real luxury car.

Well not soon after the LS 400 was released it taken the market by storm. Not only it was a great value, it performed better than any german Luxury brand and with reliability to boot. Does this sound familiar? This is exactly the position Hyundai is at right now. Just like the LS 400 way back when, Genesis as a brand is in its infancy but offers the G90 sedan at a great value with performance to boot. And reliability is good enought that i would not hesitate to own one.

Like i have said before. I have owned BMW, Lexus, Merc/benz. And i can tell you that Hyundai and Kia is not too far along in quality, fit and finish or reliability. Performance is right up there too. I have rented plenty of Hyundais in the past 3 years and i am impressed with design and quality of Korean cars. Not long ago i myself associated Hyundai and Kia as a cheap econo manufacturer. But this view has changed. If their mainstream cars are that good, i think thier Luxury cars would be even better.
First things first, you can make a case that Toyotas were reliable before the first Lexus rolled off the assembly line. Same goes for Acura/Honda. So you Hyundai/Kia is not in the same position. They have to go from makers of junk to Luxury; from a marketing perspective this is a tall task. I can take a 94 civic and a 94 tercel out on a track and throttle them all day long and they will hold up very well. Not many 94 hyundai excels are going to hold up under the pressure. So the core of a GS350, or a TL is different from a Genesis. Acura and Lexus started with something and made it better. Hyundai-KIA doesn't has the cheap budget car legacy and that's a less desired foundation. If a company builds canoes that sink; when they offer a luxury yacht...who's buying? Prior customers should kno' better

Quick Reply: 2017 Genesis G90, who's buying it?