LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Control arms....2010+

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-16, 07:38 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I bought those 4 upper arms from Amazon for $150. They look good and are waiting on my workbench for me. I have no symptoms yet at 90k but for $150 why not. I will report back about my self install experience. No rush they look so pretty on my work bench.

Ive been a mechanic my whole adult life and I'm not afraid of aftermarket parts. Manufacturers don't make their own parts. They just mark them up, sell them to their dealers and the dealers mark them up way over their suggested list price. Then people pay it because they don't know any better or enjoy getting screwed.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 11-20-16 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-20-16, 10:44 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
Perhaps i should open up a parts store UAE->US lol.
Original control arms are the ONLY way to go.
Wanna quote? I got my front lowers for 200$ a piece, front lower castor arms - 120$.
LS4 is a fine tuned vehicle, any non-original suspension part will ruin your ride. You may 'get used to it', even think 'it's almost the same ride'. Wrong. Keyword is almost.
I agree with what you say to an extent, but not with the control arms. The aftermarket arms I used have held up extremely well and there was no difference in handling or feel. Now if we were talking about aftermarket struts, yeah the spring rates and or dampening effect could make a difference, but we are talking about aftermarket control arms that are structurally the same, with a bushing. There are millions of people driving around with aftermarket control arms on various vehicles. Lexus OEM control arms have proven one thing, that they fail.

Are people not supposed to buy aftermarket brake pads and rotors? Are we not supposed to buy Mobil 1 because it's not Toyota Genuine Synthetic? What about brake fluid? Wiper blades?
Old 11-20-16, 10:45 AM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

When I had my control arms replaced thru CPO warranty, my SA said no safety issues with worn out control arms.
Maybe front suspension noise and tread wear / alignment issues.
Should be okay to wait and shop around for a better deal. Or buy aftermarket parts and DIY or reputable shop.
Some aftermarket parts are better than OEM. I don't have problems aftermarket parts as long as the installer/mechanic is competent.
Old 11-20-16, 09:14 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I'll let it ride out till the Spring then since the car is primarily a highway car.

I guess I'll run it down to firestone and get lifetime alignment special and keep an eye on it.
Old 11-21-16, 05:48 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I pity those people. Lexus bushings aren't bushings. Do some research... Where aftermarket bushings are just those - pieces of cheap chinese rubber.
Old 11-21-16, 11:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Pray tell, what is magical about "Lexus bushings"?

Lets not forget that these "Lexus bushings" are the ones that prematurely fail...
Old 11-21-16, 01:11 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

That moment when...a guy tells you to do research on Lexus bushings....when Lexus bushings are the worst part of the car.
Old 11-21-16, 01:24 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
That moment when...a guy tells you to do research on Lexus bushings....when Lexus bushings are the worst part of the car.
Next worse part is the speed governor.
Old 11-22-16, 08:48 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Or how 'bout "quality Lexus rotors".that warp as soon as you breathe on them.

'll take the cheap Chinese ones please.
Old 11-22-16, 09:32 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ask my local lexus service manager if they do just replace bushing for the control arms. He said they don't do it because Lexus/toyota doesn't sell separate bushing by itself. Whole control arm will be replaced if the bushing is out.
Old 11-22-16, 02:43 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Today I installed the upper control arms on my drivers side. I had to remove the strut so it took about an hour total car in and out the door, remember I'm using a lift. I didn't do the passenger side since after looking at the lower bushings up close I decided to stop there until I get new control arms to install. I ordered the lowers at RockAuto along with 2 link rods. This order came to $360 shipped. I previously paid $150 for the uppers on Amazon. I can probably do this job in 3 hours easily after practice. This is pretty straight forward wrenching for any mechanic. If I was getting paid 8 hours to do this I would be selling this repair as often as possible. Coupled with pads and rotors this is 12 hours of pay by noon including a roach coach break in between.
Old 11-22-16, 02:58 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Today I installed the upper control arms on my drivers side. I had to remove the strut so it took about an hour total car in and out the door, remember I'm using a lift. I didn't do the passenger side since after looking at the lower bushings up close I decided to stop there until I get new control arms to install. I ordered the lowers at RockAuto along with 2 link rods. This order came to $360 shipped. I previously paid $150 for the uppers on Amazon. I can probably do this job in 3 hours easily after practice. This is pretty straight forward wrenching for any mechanic. If I was getting paid 8 hours to do this I would be selling this repair as often as possible. Coupled with pads and rotors this is 12 hours of pay by noon including a roach coach break in between.
And I think you're being very realistic when you say that with practice you could do the job in three hours, that's what I figured it out to be too. And I'm sure that there's some Lexus techs that have found shortcuts to get it done even quicker. This is a pretty basic repair for an experienced tech, no big deal...certainly nowhere as big as it's been made out to be.
Old 11-22-16, 03:45 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Why need 3 hours? What is the time consuming part of replacing the control arm?
Old 11-22-16, 03:55 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

I just got back from the local tire/wheel shop to get a wheel alignment. Shortly after dropping the car off, I got a call from them saying, "no go on the wheel alignment, you're lower front control arm bushings are shot". They also stated that I needed ball joints.

So, it looks like it's finally caught up to me. They quoted me 1150 dollars - 440 labour, 114 for wheel alignment and the rest for parts which must be just the bushings.

Since I'll be DIY'ing this, I need to decide which parts to go with and with who. I'll be hitting some of you guys up for advice here.
Old 11-22-16, 04:19 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I just got back from the local tire/wheel shop to get a wheel alignment. Shortly after dropping the car off, I got a call from them saying, "no go on the wheel alignment, you're lower front control arm bushings are shot". They also stated that I needed ball joints.

So, it looks like it's finally caught up to me. They quoted me 1150 dollars - 440 labour, 114 for wheel alignment and the rest for parts which must be just the bushings.

Since I'll be DIY'ing this, I need to decide which parts to go with and with who. I'll be hitting some of you guys up for advice here.
you don't feel it when lower control arm bushing and ball joint are shot?

Quick Reply: Control arms....2010+