LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Control arms....2010+

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 12:34 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Red face Control arms....2010+

So I got word today from my dealer that there is some slight cracks starting on my control arms, any ballpark on how much time/miles (90% highway, car has 95K currently) I may have before it becomes a major safety concern? (and must be immediately remedied) Or is it just a case where the alignment will become increasingly sloppier?

I believe the uppers have been replaced at least once before. While I can afford to do the repair, it's just not a very good time for me with property taxes and income taxes coming due within the next few months. Should I attempt to get the dealer to Goodwill part of the repair?

Last edited by litesoarer; 10-25-16 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-26-16, 05:18 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Nothing? 🤔
Old 10-26-16, 07:47 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I am one of the few who had a rather in-depth, lengthy experience with my control arms, and actually had my uppers provided by Lexus (the parts) and I paid labor.
Sight cracks are really nothing to worry about, especially if your doing a lot of highway driving. However, the ultimate decision is up to you. After all, what exactly is a "slight crack"?
From what I've read and personally seen, cracking is pretty much an inherent characteristic of rubber that is aged and under duress. The issue is knowing if there is an issue within the body of the bushing, an area you cant see unless the bushing itself actually tears nearly or all the way through.
You can have a bushing with slight tears on the exterior but the inside is shot, or slight tears but the internals of the bushing be relatively intact.
There isn't a straight forward, one-sided answer regarding these bushings.
Thump/clanking when braking, off-center alignment, loose steering. All can be symptoms. But for the most part, "slightly cracked" will not pose to be an issue, and you can probably get another 10-15K highways miles out of them.
member caha14 shared a story some time ago about his first '07 LS, when he was having some suspension issues and the dealership couldn't quite figure out what it was, but had initially eliminated the QA's as a culprit, because they "visually seemed" to be ok.
After going through a process of elimination, they decided to go ahead and replace the CA's and the issue was solved. Once they placed the replaced control arms in a vice and placed pressure upon the bushings, they were shot. Its just one of those things.
Regarding goodwill, you can make the attempt, however, I don't think the age of your car will be the factor in them saying no, but the mileage that you have amassed up until this point.
A lot of things are taken into consideration when they, Lexus, decide to grant a goodwill or not, and that is one of them. But my motto is, look into it and execute the plan and let them tell you no, because you never know unless you ask.
Be polite, respectful and informing.
Hope I've helped!
Old 10-26-16, 09:30 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Their fine. Forget about it.
Old 10-26-16, 05:01 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Slight cracks? I'd probably just drive it until it exhibited symptoms...looseness in the front end, noise, etc. If that isn't happening I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-26-16, 06:58 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Slight cracks? I'd probably just drive it until it exhibited symptoms...looseness in the front end, noise, etc. If that isn't happening I wouldn't worry about it.
I thought the same.

I figured I wouldn't have to worry about them till at least 120K (Sometime next year)

Ill probably go ahead and weather the winter with them and go get me a lifetime alignment special from Firestone to keep an eye on it.
Old 10-27-16, 05:45 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
So I got word today from my dealer that there is some slight cracks starting on my control arms, any ballpark on how much time/miles (90% highway, car has 95K currently) I may have before it becomes a major safety concern? (and must be immediately remedied) Or is it just a case where the alignment will become increasingly sloppier?

I believe the uppers have been replaced at least once before. While I can afford to do the repair, it's just not a very good time for me with property taxes and income taxes coming due within the next few months. Should I attempt to get the dealer to Goodwill part of the repair?
If the Lexus dealer diagnosed this issue and uploaded the condition to the service history; this can be problematic. It's a red flag to a potential buyer when you want to sell your car.
Old 11-18-16, 09:35 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by superdenso
If the Lexus dealer diagnosed this issue and uploaded the condition to the service history; this can be problematic. It's a red flag to a potential buyer when you want to sell your car.
No such notes AFAIK.

Dealer wants $4,100 for repair (I'll be asking if there is possibility of getting a break/goodwill there), Next best quote is $3,200 (Aftermarket Parts) from Davenport Motor Co. in Dallas. Service Advisor states steering may get a bit sloppy for starters (Which i've begun to notice esp in comfort mode), noise from the condition will follow. My concern is how long the repair will last, are the new parts updated for better longevity?

I may be in the market for a 4GS F-Sport, (Giving LS to wife most likely if I bite) so the miles may not as big of a deal going forward.
Old 11-19-16, 03:43 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
No such notes AFAIK.

Dealer wants $4,100 for repair (I'll be asking if there is possibility of getting a break/goodwill there), Next best quote is $3,200 (Aftermarket Parts) from Davenport Motor Co. in Dallas. Service Advisor states steering may get a bit sloppy for starters (Which i've begun to notice esp in comfort mode), noise from the condition will follow. My concern is how long the repair will last, are the new parts updated for better longevity?

I may be in the market for a 4GS F-Sport, (Giving LS to wife most likely if I bite) so the miles may not as big of a deal going forward.
I wouldn't have a dealer do this repair, it's just too expensive...and I wouldn't take it to the place that quoted you $3,200 either. Aftermarket parts have treated me very well regarding the these control arms...I have 30,000 miles on mine with no issues whatsoever. I used a mixture of Beck Arnley and Mevotech. You should be able to purchase all 8 control arms for under $800, and it will take a technician maybe four hours to install them. I wouldn't pay more than $1,500 for this repair. I'd shop around a little more.
Old 11-19-16, 08:41 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Perhaps i should open up a parts store UAE->US lol.
Original control arms are the ONLY way to go.
Wanna quote? I got my front lowers for 200$ a piece, front lower castor arms - 120$.
LS4 is a fine tuned vehicle, any non-original suspension part will ruin your ride. You may 'get used to it', even think 'it's almost the same ride'. Wrong. Keyword is almost.
Old 11-19-16, 11:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
Perhaps i should open up a parts store UAE->US lol.
Original control arms are the ONLY way to go.
Wanna quote? I got my front lowers for 200$ a piece, front lower castor arms - 120$.
LS4 is a fine tuned vehicle, any non-original suspension part will ruin your ride. You may 'get used to it', even think 'it's almost the same ride'. Wrong. Keyword is almost.
We have several very reputable members here using aftermarket control arms and report no difference. I would typically air on the side of caution and always go OEM too, but with Doublebase, road frog and others running these aftermarket arms and reporting no issues, I'd be inclined to go that route and save $2,000.
Old 11-19-16, 03:55 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

$152 for all 4 arms, shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C3109-12-Lex...1TITxh&vxp=mtr
Old 11-20-16, 06:37 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, yes, reputable 'members'. This is a comedy board as i 've suspected...
Old 11-20-16, 06:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
Yes, yes, reputable 'members'. This is a comedy board as i 've suspected...
So why should we take what you say into account when deciding what parts to buy over what they say? What makes you reputable and them not?

I know the great information they've brought to the forum over the years. You? Can't think of a thing. So I know who I'll listen to thanks lol
Old 11-20-16, 06:49 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Guys knock off the personal comments or do not post

Quick Reply: Control arms....2010+