LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

To LS460 owners, what SUV do you drive or recommended as a good company to the 460?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-16, 06:37 AM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've two Lincoln Navigators, both 2015 L models.
3.5 Liter V6's. Quiet, smooth, powerful & a real 3rd row seat.
Both have over 175,000 miles, no issues to speak of. Replaced a front shock under warranty @ 22,000 miles & replaced two coils on one of them.
Takes me 5 minutes to replace a coil, and I have them in stock, in case another one goes out.
Old 11-02-16, 08:00 AM
aeggroup
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife drives Mercedes GL350, which we ordered to build per our spec in 2015.
Old 11-02-16, 10:08 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 795 Likes on 688 Posts

Land cruiser or an LX over built solid suv's that really hold there resale value
Old 11-02-16, 01:21 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find GX a little tall and narrow just from the looks. There are 26 pages to complain about the hard ride for the 2010-15 RX350 on the forum.

What about Infiniti QX or Acura MDX?
Old 11-02-16, 05:43 PM
LS460Crown
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Land Cruiser is the perfect companion to an LS

Lots of power, super reliable, take it through a blizzard or out in the forsaken desert, you will never be let down. And they hold their value better than almost everything else on the road.
Old 11-02-16, 06:49 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

As a "perfect companion", I would echo the LX. The LS is the flagship sedan, and the LX is the flagship SUV. Designed to last 25 years (I read in a Landcruiser forum somewhere), the LX provides the plush isolation you expect with the LS, with the cargo room/utility of a large SUV. While I do agree the 3rd row seat is a little cramped and the middle row seats aren't as wide as other competitors (i.e. Escalade, QX80, LR4), all in all it is a tank and sells in very low volumes....I think someone says 4000 LX's a year (vs over 20,000 GL's).

I'd trust an LX with 200k miles with very little qualms. Last year wife and I test drove a new 15 LX, then a used 13 LX with 58k miles....could hardly tell a difference in terms of ride quality.

Other worthwhile competitors would be the Toyota Sequoia Platinum...the Platinum trim comes with variable suspension to give it a plush ride, is an absolute boat (longer & wider than the LX) and cheaper to boot. GL450 is worthwhile a look as well.

MDX lacks the "luxury" compared to the LS460, still a dressed-up Honda Pilot to me, and QX80 is decent but I see way too many of them on the road and the ride is harsher than I'd like. Besides, the price range of the QX/MDX insinuates a level below "full size luxury". Escalades, GL's, Navigators can top $85k whereas the QX is in the $70s and MDX is in the $50s I think.
Old 11-02-16, 08:14 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

We have an RX330 as a grocery getter.....

Nice vehicle......but I think we'll sell it since I just picked up a 2016 TRD Pro 4Runner that should be delivered soon.

I did buy the wife a Tundra that we basically drive everywhere and love it !!!

Old 11-02-16, 10:23 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm guessing by comparable you mean a comparable size and driving experience in the SUV realm.

I have always liked the Mercedes GL (now GLS). It has better on-road performance and seating accommodations than the LX (including a third row that I can sit in) and you can get both a diesel and V8 (in several flavors). If buying/leasing new I would consider it; but used the reliability question still bothers me.

The LX / Land Cruisers are, to quote an top 10 cars article I read recently "the automotive version of granite. They are heavy as hell, don’t age and will most assuredly squash whatever vehicular bugs and cockroaches are on the road should the Zombie Apocalypse ever take place." I'd buy a used one in good condition sight unseen without hesitation (the LS placed 3rd on that list BTW, highest of any car). They are heavy, body-on-frame vehicles and on-road performance and fuel economy won't match the GL. Off road though it's unstoppable. The GX in my mind isn't as nice (smaller); the RX is also good but not quite as grand as the LX.

The new Volvo XC90 drives very well. One of the best interiors I've ever seen at any price. The 4 cylinder engine isn't as powerful as the V6 and V8 competitors but gives better fuel economy. It's also somewhat unique although selling very well here in LA.

I hated the first Audi Q7, but the new one is supposed to be very nice; it's also the basis for the $235k+ Bentley Bentayga.

The BMW X5 drives well but is small inside; also reliability would be a factor for an out of warranty vehicle. A larger X7 is imminent; I would guess it appears at the car shows this fall and goes on sale early next year.

A friend of mine had the Infiniti JX (now QX60); it seemed nice inside but not quite the same level as the Lexus. They replaced it with a Sienna Limited which really is the minivan Lexus won't build. The QX80 seems nice (it's a nicer Nissan Patrol) but reviews vary. It's a lot nicer than the old QX but it's only been around a couple years; I don't see that many on the road.

I really liked the NX but it's smaller and less refined than the LS. The MB GLA is tiny inside; ditto the new small Infiniti SUV. Acura's interiors seem to be getting better but are still confusing; the MDX is nice if somewhat generic. People like it though.

Other options might include the new Jaguar SUV and as Steve said the Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's basically a previous gen ML/GL that's built in the US.

And there's the left field choice: the Mazda CX-9. Looks absolutely gorgeous outside and inside; and the signature level trim is really nice.

Last edited by jainla; 11-02-16 at 10:32 PM. Reason: added Volvo
Old 11-03-16, 01:33 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I have a '17 Toyota Sienna Limited Premium. It's not an SUV but it has many fine qualities. It is easy to get in and out of, carries 7 passengers or can be easily reconfigured to haul full size sheets of plywood. The sound system is very nice. Mine has the Limited Advanced Technology package too. We love it.
yea those new siennas are super nice, also the toyota sequoias arent that bad either, if price is a concern the 2001-2007 sequoias can be bought for under 10k plus you get the 4.7 motor that the land cruiser and lx470 have.
Old 11-03-16, 03:05 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

My wife drives a 2014 Acura RDX (bought new end of 2013). It's an extremely great car with just enough room to carry several sets of golf clubs, 5 people and rides solid and quiet. Love the size!
Old 11-03-16, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,978 Posts

My issue with the LX570 is that in a daily driver around town I find it tiring to drive. On a long highway trip sure, its excellent, they ride great, are very quiet...but they are HUGE, and the steering is very heavy, they dive and pitch a lot, in stop and go, city/urban type driving, its a lot of vehicle to handle. IMHO thats a big truck that's size doesn't benefit its owner at all. Big outside yet small inside.
Old 11-03-16, 07:39 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

2015 Toyota 4 Runner Limited.

Bad to the bone truck. Killer reliability ratings. The best resale value.
Very stiff ride. No power tailgate option. No automatic folding mirrors. No panic braking or blind spot warning or lane departure safety package offered. Total redesign coming in 2018 will have all these I bet. I would not buy anything without the new safety items. They are lifesavers.
Old 11-06-16, 02:11 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2v1g
It is almost time to replace my 10’ RX350, what SUV do you drive or recommended as a good company to the LS460?
We have a 48K mile '10 RX350 that we use as a kid hauler. It's competent, but as others have pointed out, it's not special. It's the right size for SF though, anything bigger would be a challenge to park around town, that's one of the reasons I leave my LS home and take Uber when I'm hopping around the City.

How many miles on your RX?
Old 11-06-16, 02:58 PM
Nex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2017 MDX Advance with SH-AWD, interior has been upgraded, more features, one of the best handling SUV and new refresh has done wonders for the appearance. cant beat it for under 60k
Old 11-07-16, 08:17 AM
bsimonds
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live on a farm and need to tow a trailer hauling my tractor and to tow a travel trailer, so my priorities were 1. towing capacity, 2. four wheel drive, and 3. ease of converting from 8 passenger seating to cargo hauling. I bought a 2008 Nissan Armada new in 2008 and have been very pleased with it.

Quick Reply: To LS460 owners, what SUV do you drive or recommended as a good company to the 460?