LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus factory extended warranty at 100k

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 12:21 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by pmiller
Interesting you just posted this. Mine will be in the shop next week for control arms and leaking air suspension. Dealership said about $9,000 worth. Thank goodness I have an extended warranty. I have already had approximately $5,000 worth of work done in the past 4 years. I have a 2010 LS 460 L with about 106,000 miles. I have 2 years or until 125,000 miles left on my warranty. Looking for options after that. Dealer wants to sell me a newer model. Hmmm...I would have to sink another $10,000 into a car.
Warranty or no warranty? Each to their own. Lexus isn't bulletproof so problems do occur and for those who are willing and able to DIY thumbs up. Thank goodness I purchased an extended warrant on my LS and it saves me at least $10K and I have no complaints or regrets.
Old 11-05-16, 03:40 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I'm just blown away that anyone would agree to $9,000 in repairs...warranty or not. Nine grand for control arms and leaking air suspension? I mean an independent would probably charge $2,500 bucks for this job. Even if I had a warranty I'd be like...ok what's my cut? Because you guys are stealing here and I want a piece.

I mean buy a warranty...spend the $2,000 and give yourself piece of mind, but understand that those dealer prices are not what you'd be paying with the slightest bit of research and shopping around. And heaven forbid doing the repair yourself - which I know is not for everyone - but I hate hearing how people are paying some of these prices when they don't have to.
Old 11-05-16, 03:55 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much is all 4 air suspension cost? I thought parts alone are already expensive.

buying warranty also give you peace of mind just like buying home insurance. I never made a claim for my house, but I still buy home insurance every year
Old 11-05-16, 04:06 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2v1g
How much is all 4 air suspension cost? I thought parts alone are already expensive.

buying warranty also give you peace of mind just like buying home insurance. I never made a claim for my house, but I still buy home insurance every year
​​​​​​​All four? The question I have is...what's wrong with replacing just the one that has failed? Do people like throwing money away? You can probably get an aftermarket air strut for $400-$700.
Old 11-05-16, 04:23 PM
shinbob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luckily we all have choices as to how to maintain and repair our cars.

I spent 30 years of my life driving pre-owned mid-grade cars, doing repairs myself (including oil changes) wherever possible, and trying to find the best independent shop to fix things when I couldn't do it myself. That includes finding parts on my own to get the absolute best deal. And I saved a TON of money doing it that way, so I commend you all that do the same for your LS.

But now I'm at a point in my life where I don't really have to do that anymore. Just like driving a flagship car is a luxury experience that comes at a premium cost, part of that luxury experience for me is being able to drop off my car at the Lexus dealer, hopping into my Lexus loaner car that is literally waiting for me (the one I have now has only 4k miles on it), and having the warranty pay the entire cost. That's why I paid extra for CPO, that's why I sprung for the extended warranty, and that's why I'll never drive a car that's out of warranty again. In fact, next time I'll buy brand new and lease for only 3 years to minimize the headaches. Sometimes, peace of mind is literally priceless.
Old 11-05-16, 04:59 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I'm just blown away that anyone would agree to $9,000 in repairs...warranty or not. Nine grand for control arms and leaking air suspension? I mean an independent would probably charge $2,500 bucks for this job. Even if I had a warranty I'd be like...ok what's my cut? Because you guys are stealing here and I want a piece.

I mean buy a warranty...spend the $2,000 and give yourself piece of mind, but understand that those dealer prices are not what you'd be paying with the slightest bit of research and shopping around. And heaven forbid doing the repair yourself - which I know is not for everyone - but I hate hearing how people are paying some of these prices when they don't have to.
$9000 repair bill from warranty? That will make me happy because it triples my return on the warranty. If that money has to be from your own pocket, then for sure people will try lots of way to save cost
Old 11-05-16, 07:34 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Yes, because house insurance prevents you from suffering immeasurable loss. Car repairs....not so much.

All four air shocks can be had for about 1000 dollars. Add in the labour......maybe another 500.
Old 11-05-16, 09:24 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Yes, because house insurance prevents you from suffering immeasurable loss. Car repairs....not so much.

All four air shocks can be had for about 1000 dollars. Add in the labour......maybe another 500.
are they OEM one? that is not very expensive. Then why lots of people say replacing air suspension is very expensive? The number I was told is 4k
Old 11-05-16, 09:37 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

are they OEM one? that is not very expensive. Then why lots of people say replacing air suspension is very expensive? The number I was told is 4k
Because that's what Lexus demands and their minions choose to pay it. I do not.
Old 11-06-16, 07:40 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

$9000 repair bill from warranty? That will make me happy because it triples my return on the warranty. If that money has to be from your own pocket, then for sure people will try lots of way to save cost
I think you're missing my point...$9,000 dollars is not what anyone should be paying, that's absurd. And yes, I agree, if you have the warranty it doesn't matter and then in your head you feel like you've won. The point is $9,000 doesn't have to be spent...not even close to that. In fact when a dealer knows you have a warranty they will continue to pad the bills as much as they can get away with. Which again is probably to your advantage - your getting things replaced that probably don't even need to be replaced - but realistically if you didn't have the warranty your repair could be done for a fraction of that price.

I understand why people get the warranty, someone posted above that they no longer want to be bothered fixing cars, shopping around or being inconvenienced...I get that. If that's the way you feel I support that 100%, but it's far from the only way of doing things. And I think people understand that as well. It's just that when you hear $9,000 dollars worth of repairs, when you know it shouldn't be anywhere near that price, it makes me raise an eyebrow. That's all.
Old 11-06-16, 08:40 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Vehicles warranty repairs can be similar to health insurance claims and it raises eyebrows. It's hard for me to believe replacing my drivers side folding mirror cost $1000 (absurd) but paying a small deductible or no deductible can ease my mind and wallet. Dealerships and independent repairs shops, hospitals, and most other businesses are not in it for charity and it's easy to take advantage customers and most of us will never know it.
Old 11-06-16, 08:03 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow!! My $9,000 cost has been thrown around quite a bit. Trust me, if I didn't have a warranty, I'd be shopping around. I'd feel my warranty has paid for itself. I have replaced the falling under warranty...subwoofer speaker, back left speaker, back glass, lumbar control, side curtains not working, recalbriated the PCS, rubber price in my trunk button, and now the suspension. All told by the dealership more than $15,000. Yes, I realize that if I looked elsewhere, it would be a lot less. Hence, why I'm am re-engaging myself on here to learn more. Also, why I will probably keep it rather than sink another $10K into the same car with only 40K mile rather than the 106K miles I have now. My frustration with the dealership is that I told them about the suspension rattle and noise 2 months ago when I took it in. They said, "we couldn't relocate the noise". I took a tech for a drive Friday and he heard it within 5 minutes. Also, while they had it for the PCS issue, they had a guy from Atlanta come in because their techs couldn't figure out the issue. He drove the car as part of his diagnosis. Did he not hear the rattling and noise suspension issue? Come on....he heard it. They didn't want to address it. If it want under warranty, I'm sure they would have heard it. I guess it's like anything warranty or insurance related. If I'm paying cash, they have great hearing and vision. If I'm going too file s claim, it's hmmm...I don't hear or see anything. LMFAO!!!!!
Old 11-07-16, 07:34 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roadfrog

I see lots of people on the forum said it would cost you $1000+ each just for the cost of air struts. Are you talking about each or total all 4 of them?
Old 11-07-16, 07:36 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I think you're missing my point...$9,000 dollars is not what anyone should be paying, that's absurd. And yes, I agree, if you have the warranty it doesn't matter and then in your head you feel like you've won. The point is $9,000 doesn't have to be spent...not even close to that. In fact when a dealer knows you have a warranty they will continue to pad the bills as much as they can get away with. Which again is probably to your advantage - your getting things replaced that probably don't even need to be replaced - but realistically if you didn't have the warranty your repair could be done for a fraction of that price.

I understand why people get the warranty, someone posted above that they no longer want to be bothered fixing cars, shopping around or being inconvenienced...I get that. If that's the way you feel I support that 100%, but it's far from the only way of doing things. And I think people understand that as well. It's just that when you hear $9,000 dollars worth of repairs, when you know it shouldn't be anywhere near that price, it makes me raise an eyebrow. That's all.
There are always some bad apples among all the Lexus dealers. You just need to check and find a good apple. Sometimes, replacing air suspension and other big items over a period of time might actually cost $9000.

I don’t think insurance company can be easily abused by dealership for warranty repair. Your repair bill will be higher paying by yourself versus paying by warranty. Dealer won’t charge insurance company extra misc fees like environmental fees because they won’t pay it and hourly rate dealer charged might be lower. One time, my repair is even be audited by the insurance company.
Old 11-07-16, 08:25 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I see lots of people on the forum said it would cost you $1000+ each just for the cost of air struts. Are you talking about each or total all 4 of them?
Im referring to 1000 dollars for all 4. There's many options on Ebay (and I assume Amazon). Some are Beck Arnley parts and others are made by other brands.

Quick Reply: Lexus factory extended warranty at 100k