LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Next-Gen Lexus LS Rumored to Drop V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-16, 08:06 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 377 Likes on 259 Posts

In late July I bought a fun 3rd car - an Audi S5. As you may know, the S5 came with a V8 until the 2013 year when they went to a turbo 6. I test drove many different model years and settled on a 2010 with the 4.2L V8 instead of the newer V6. I don't really care too much about speed, but find it humorous to read on the Audi forums all the people who fight over V6 vs V8 (I think in most documented cases the V6 is actually quicker). That being said, IMO there's nothing like the sound of a V8 and the feel of driving one compared to a V6, turbo charged or not.

I never buy new cars, so the reality is I wouldn't be looking at an LS 500 for 3-5 years anyway (I try to catch at the peak of depreciation). But this would be a deal killer for me and as others have mentioned would steer me to seriously consider a Genesis V8.
Old 11-29-16, 08:21 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I never buy new cars, so the reality is I wouldn't be looking at an LS 500 for 3-5 years anyway (I try to catch at the peak of depreciation). But this would be a deal killer for me and as others have mentioned would steer me to seriously consider a Genesis V8.
With the Genesis G90, you could probably buy one in 2018 when it has already hit its peak depreciation!

I was seriously considering waiting until 2018 or 2019 to buy a used G90 instead of buying my 2014 LWB in February this year, but the prospect of waiting two more years when my teenage sons were growing and enjoying traveling with me was not appealing. I am glad I got the LS, and I plan to keep it for a long time (10 years), but I will be casting envious glances as the G90s start showing up on the streets.
Old 11-29-16, 08:38 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The testing for 0-60 is ussually done with a driver. Saddle up a v8 and v6TT s5 Audi with 1000 lbs of cargo and lets see how the TT set-up fares. My dad always says smaller engines fare pretty good until you put some weight on them. And my experience has been just that. In a sports car a v6tt is great, but put the family and a full week's compliment of the Disney World outfits in the trunk then boom: that v6 power won't show up like the v8's
Old 11-29-16, 08:39 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

"With the Genesis G90, you could probably buy one in 2018 when it has already hit its peak depreciation! " - true, they do seem to depreciate quite differently than what I'm used to with the LS... that will likely work out to my favor soon!

"but the prospect of waiting two more years when my teenage sons were growing and enjoying traveling with me was not appealing." LMAO.
Old 11-29-16, 09:32 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once you get used to v12 and switch to v8, will it be a let down too?
Old 11-29-16, 09:50 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Without a V8 available it won't be considered a true flagship anymore and is relegated to competing with a car like the CT6. Sad.

Like I said, I really feel like I'm driving my last Lexus. Next time I'll either step down to something like a G80 or a CT6 or go for it and get an S Class or 7. The brand just isn't speaking to me as a consumer anymore.

Not when it comes to refinement which is what I care about.
This is really unfortunate if true.
This is my first Lexus as well as first V8 and I can honestly say that the power and refinement is not only what sold me, but enabled me to make up my mind that this is the type of ride I want the vehicle I am driving to have from this point forward.
As I stated before, I've never driven a ttcV6, but have driven a tcV6, and though fast, it did not match the raw feel and more importantly, the refinement of a Lexus V8.
I hope the forecasted predictions stand to be incorrect. I really do.
Old 11-29-16, 09:56 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
A twin turbo V6 will blow the doors off our V8s.
So will a turbo 4 or 5 cylinder, does not mean it is a good idea or the best choice.

Lexus 8 cylinders are not putting out a ton of power, particularly with the LS compared to competitors but a modern high output V8 would beat a modern high output V6 not only in power, performance but also sound, refinement, smoothness, etc.

I don't mind the new LS getting a 6 cylinder as long as it still has a V8 that is still realistically priced and preferably the V6 comes latter as a affordable option for the LS, not the standard engine to where the V8 premium jumps up to S class pricing levels. Eliminating the V8 altogether is unacceptable and the V8 is not going to disappear in the luxury market as long as there is demand and relatively low gas prices.

I test drove a new GS350 and was immediately disappointed with the power of the V6, felt like it was making maybe 250-270hp instead of 310 and felt so much slower then my V8 GS despite my GS430 making less power and having less gears. It did not feel as refined either which is shocking considering how much newer that V6/8 speed combo is. I don't even really consider the 4th Gen GS350 any real upgrade over my GS aside from some new modern features and better handling and I may just go for a used Lexus LS460 for the V8 despite being a little too young for that kind of sedan.

Last edited by UDel; 11-29-16 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-29-16, 10:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by 2v1g
Once you get used to v12 and switch to v8, will it be a let down too?
If you've never driven a car with a V12 you should, its quite an experience.
Old 11-29-16, 10:05 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by teedub21
Have you driven a modern twin turbo car? Turbo lag is a thing of the past.
Yes, and turbo lag is not eliminated or a thing in the past, it is just not nearly as much as it used to be. These modern over priced turbo 4cylinders suck in luxury cars and are in no way good replacements for the relatively affordable 6 cylinders we used to get standard.

Only tt V6 car that turbo lag is eliminated is in the Acura NSX but that is because of the electric motors and it starts at over $150K.
Old 11-29-16, 02:26 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The main goal behind the LS is to be a luxury car first. Does the V8 sound better and give the car more personality? Absolutely, but people who are buying these cars probably wouldn't care for that as much. And if they did, they would buy a GS-F, S63, M6 Gran Coupe, RS7, S8, CTS-V, etc. if they wanted performance out of a mainly focused on luxury car. Its not like those cars are going away. And if they care about performance only, there is still a market for that too (RC-F, M3, 911, etc. As for those having downsized turbo engines, that's probably where I can see the point that doing that defeats the purpose of a sports car). The LS is luxury first and performance second, so seeing them drop the V8 really isn't too big of a deal and I doubt it will stunt sales (if anything, it might increase them due to people wanting something slightly more fuel efficient, who knows) There are few (us car enthusiasts) who definitely want the V8 to stay but the reality is the people buying these cars couldn't care less. Fuel efficiency is really where the auto industry is moving nowadays. Why else are manufacturers using 8, 9, and 10 speed automatics and downsizing engine displacements?

The other thing too is (and this is on us car people) is that some of us will go with the mentality that any automatic transmission turbocharged car is going to drive poorly and not be a fun experience before even driving said car. Be realistic about the situation, not pessimistic. Unless its driving itself, no way a 400+ HP car isn't fun. Is a big displacement V8 with a 6-speed manual a more better experience? Yes. But both cars will be equally as fun if you want them to be. And plus, its not like Lexus will take away all the current V8-powered cars and force you to buy a new one with a twin turbo V6.

Not to mention the fact that it is easier to tune and get more power out of a twin turbo V6 than an NA V8 (without any forced induction. Yes, if you put 2 turbos on a V8 it will perform better), but that is another story.
Old 11-29-16, 03:23 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

IMO fuel efficiency is not luxurious and V6 engines are the worst layout as far as balance and smoothness. The reason for a V8 in a luxury car like the LS isn't for power, luxury implies a lack of effort (words like ample and extra and more than needed come to mind), it has a V8 because it should make the power it needs easily and run smooth as silk.

Again, I have an admitted bias against V6 engines.
Old 11-29-16, 06:02 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Whats the big deal?

So many people complain that Lexus isn't doing enough to 'keep up' with other manufacturers, and here they are doing something different..

Just about every car maker is getting away from V8's..

Besides, it's not like the LS V8 makes huge power either, V6's tend be smoother, and the fact they are turbo'ing it will make great torque. Lag is pretty much a thing of the past.

The LS will still be their flagship car, not because of an engine, but because of the luxury, refinement, and quality control that goes into making the car.
Old 11-29-16, 06:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Like I said before, I don't have an issue with a base V6 but what I have an issue with is the lack of a V8 at all.

Regardless of what they do to it, inherently a V6 is never going to be as smooth and refined as a V8. It's not about power, it's about refinement.
Old 11-29-16, 06:22 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Like I said before, I don't have an issue with a base V6 but what I have an issue with is the lack of a V8 at all.

Regardless of what they do to it, inherently a V6 is never going to be as smooth and refined as a V8. It's not about power, it's about refinement.
100% agree. My post about my S5 was a bit misleading- I can understand how it came across to one of the recent posters that I value a V8 for its performance and speed. I don't, I value it for its ability to be smooth, effortless and refined. I honestly can't imagine the LS lineup without a V8. In reality I was actually wondering if they would go to something like a V10. I hope the V6 rumors aren't true.
Old 11-29-16, 06:34 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I also hope they don't just drop the V8 but give you a choice of engines. As mentioned, Cadillac offers a 6.2 V8 in the V series and will be offering a twin turbo V8 in the CT6 for 2017. Although I do agree it is the future. More power with smaller displacement.

Quick Reply: Next-Gen Lexus LS Rumored to Drop V8