LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Planning to Purchase a 2010 LS soon-Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-16, 05:14 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Once the CD burner became a reality, it really did signal the end of the era after a few years. Once folks could easily both burn and rip their CD's, it spelled disaster for the record companies business model. It also made a huge impact even on major artists where now the bulk of their income comes from touring and merchandise.

I own around 2000 CD's and around 100 SACD/DVD-A's and still use them.
Don't get wrong, Spotify is a beautiful thing when you have the premium tier. To be able to queue up almost any artist in seconds from ones cell phone is just an amazing thing.

That said, the sound quality does not compare to the best CD's and the high resolution formats like the aforementioned DVD-A and SACD. Neil Young who is one of the most demanding and outspoken folks out there hated CD's, was a big supporter of DVD-Audio and now has his own music service called Pono which playback at super high resolution.

One of Tidal's marketing spiel is offering higher resolution playback than Spotify and Pandora.
Old 12-18-16, 06:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,978 Posts

Yeah the fact that I listen primarily to XM Satellite radio and music streamed off my iPhone is a big reason why I don't spend the money on upgraded audio packages in cars anymore. If anything I've found these formats sound worse on better systems than they do on more basic systems.
Old 12-22-16, 03:30 PM
kclark2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kclark2
[QUOTE

I'm interested in purchasing the 460 with the comfort package (adjustable air suspension). My question to you is 1.) Has anyone had any problems with the 460 air suspension like us UL owners had? and 2.) Has anyone had any significant issues with their 2010 and up 460?

I have a 2010 LS 460 purchased CPO at 35,000 miles. I'm now at 70,000. Had control arms replaced under warranty after I complained about noise and roughness going over bumps. No other problems except a faulty cam position sensor that left me stranded. It's now at the dealer for an overheating which I expect will require a new water pump. All in all, it's a pretty solid, reliable car and I'd recommend it. Is it from a private owner? You may need to go newer than 2010 if you want a CPO. Others can comment on their experiences with the air suspension.[/QUOTE]

Follow up 12/22. That problem I that I expected would require a water pump turned out to be a "coolant valley leak". The car spent a week at the dealer. Repair cost was about $1,000 covered by Lexus Platinum extended warranty. I'd still recommend the car to a prospective purchaser.
Old 12-22-16, 05:03 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnin4Em
That was some very interesting knowledge right there. Thanks for the input. I was completely unaware of that war against CDs.

I'm happy to hear that the new ML system is far superior now than before. I will definitely find a 460 with a ML system and try to test out the audio.

Thanks everyone for the help. I really appreciate it.

Congrats on your new '09, Gunnin! I'm also in a 430 looking to get into a 460, but buget will limit me to 07 or 08. As for the ML audio, our 06 430 has it and, at first, I preferred my wife's 06 ES 330 Premium Audio. However, after a few months I started to notice the music definitely sounding better in the 430. I just test drove an 08 (that other forum members helped save me from) and when I tested the audio during the test drive, I immediately noticed it sounding better than the ML in our 430. I wanted to keep sit in the car and just keep listening and that was just radio quality. The bass was just so smooth and I'm not an audiophile. So ML is one thing I will look forward to on a 460, but I haven't heard what the stock stereo sounds like. Congrats again and I think you made the right choice. I like that your 09 introduced the front-passenger seat memory buttons.
Old 12-23-16, 12:53 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Congrats on your new '09, Gunnin! I'm also in a 430 looking to get into a 460, but buget will limit me to 07 or 08. As for the ML audio, our 06 430 has it and, at first, I preferred my wife's 06 ES 330 Premium Audio. However, after a few months I started to notice the music definitely sounding better in the 430. I just test drove an 08 (that other forum members helped save me from) and when I tested the audio during the test drive, I immediately noticed it sounding better than the ML in our 430. I wanted to keep sit in the car and just keep listening and that was just radio quality. The bass was just so smooth and I'm not an audiophile. So ML is one thing I will look forward to on a 460, but I haven't heard what the stock stereo sounds like. Congrats again and I think you made the right choice. I like that your 09 introduced the front-passenger seat memory buttons.
I found there to be a massive difference between the ML system in my 2005 UL and the 460. Like night and day better. With my stepmother having purchased every iteration of the RX each fully loaded including the Levinson system once offered, my stepfather having the ML in both his GX470 and now 460 and my father having it in his ES300h Ultra Luxury, combined with my experience with my 430, I was decidedly nonplussed about it. While not Blose bad, unlike Blose, Mark Levinson offers some of the most expensive home audio gear on the market with some of it costing as much (or more) than a brand new ES or IS.

After writing professional reviews of some of Mark Levinson's home audio, this was especially disheartening. I will only say that the drive back from Charlotte, NC picking up the car restored my faith in the quality of their car audio offerings. I believe the switch to Class D amplification was huge as it draws so little power compared to the Class AB seen in the vast majority of automotive audio.

The importance of efficiency is that car manufacturers are going to choose both low cost and low current draw in the name of profit and reliability. While my home audio amplification is Class AB with a high bias into Class A operation, each of these amplifiers weigh 100 plus and would have the Prius drivers of the world ready to burn me at the state.

Long story short, the Mark Levinson Reference System in the LS460 is actually worthy of the name.
Old 12-23-16, 09:21 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Long story short, the Mark Levinson Reference System in the LS460 is actually worthy of the name.
And that has been the reports from every publication I've read. As I've said before (and posted the various links), the ML has rivaled high-end home audio systems. I'm blown away every time I "crank up" mine. Distortion-free, bleeding ears loud, and soooooo smooth. If you ever play a movie with Dolby DTS or whatever in the system, it is amazing.
Old 12-23-16, 09:47 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
And that has been the reports from every publication I've read. As I've said before (and posted the various links), the ML has rivaled high-end home audio systems. I'm blown away every time I "crank up" mine. Distortion-free, bleeding ears loud, and soooooo smooth. If you ever play a movie with Dolby DTS or whatever in the system, it is amazing.
This reminds me that I'll have to get an override so my passenger can enjoy watching movies on long road trips. Perhaps better would be a cell phone mirroring system since IIRC in January in California, it comes illegal for any handheld cell phone use, including navigation. I really would like Google Maps and navigation and perhaps video streaming on my car infotainment screen. Much safer and easier to read than my mobile phone.

Sorry for the OT....
Old 12-23-16, 04:57 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gbp
This reminds me that I'll have to get an override so my passenger can enjoy watching movies on long road trips. Perhaps better would be a cell phone mirroring system since IIRC in January in California, it comes illegal for any handheld cell phone use, including navigation. I really would like Google Maps and navigation and perhaps video streaming on my car infotainment screen. Much safer and easier to read than my mobile phone.

Sorry for the OT....
Same here in Canada for the last year or so. Hefty fines if your caught. 550 dollars for the first offence.
Old 12-23-16, 05:42 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp

Sorry for the OT....
Gbp, please check out the thread below that I started in September. It will answer many of your questions about smartphone mirroring and DVD Nav bypass.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...n-2014-ls.html

After a fair bit of research and a lot of phone time with Eric Kwon at Beatsonic, I have decided to install the IF-04EF mirroring kit from Beatsonic. Eric was also able to help me figure out a front camera solution. I will get these professionally installed in January and will post a detailed thread.

If you have any questions, talk to Eric. He is very knowledgeable and helpful. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Gbp (12-23-16)
Old 12-23-16, 07:40 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

You can play movies in the 460? Stock? I gotta look up which years can do this!

​​​​​​*Or do you mean those with the RES option?
Old 12-23-16, 07:42 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by comotiger
Gbp, please check out the thread below that I started in September. It will answer many of your questions about smartphone mirroring and DVD Nav bypass.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...n-2014-ls.html

After a fair bit of research and a lot of phone time with Eric Kwon at Beatsonic, I have decided to install the IF-04EF mirroring kit from Beatsonic. Eric was also able to help me figure out a front camera solution. I will get these professionally installed in January and will post a detailed thread.

If you have any questions, talk to Eric. He is very knowledgeable and helpful. Good luck!
Looking forward to your write-up, comotiger.
Old 12-23-16, 08:09 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

You can play movies in the 460? Stock? I gotta look up which years can do this!

​​​​​​*Or do you mean those with the RES option?
Stock. On the front screen. I don't have RES. I've watched everything from Star Wars to Pearl Jam in Concert.
Old 12-24-16, 08:24 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Stock. On the front screen. I don't have RES. I've watched everything from Star Wars to Pearl Jam in Concert.
For 2007-2012 LS460's, you need the ML (Mark Levinson) system to play DVD's. From 2013 forward ML isn't necessary to play them -- or so I've read. One other difference -- correct me if I'm wrong -- is that 2013+ are single disc units instead of six disc changers.
Old 12-24-16, 08:44 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
For 2007-2012 LS460's, you need the ML (Mark Levinson) system to play DVD's. From 2013 forward ML isn't necessary to play them -- or so I've read. One other difference -- correct me if I'm wrong -- is that 2013+ are single disc units instead of six disc changers.
Gbp, yes the 2013+ are single disc units. And I am pretty sure about needing ML on older cars. I had a 2012 non ML for many months and I am pretty sure it could not play DVDs. I loved having the 6 disc changer though. Nowadays I just listen using Music apps.
Old 12-26-16, 10:43 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

It took a while to get used to the ML in the current car. Subwoofer is now totally rebuilt which helps. There's an "in the same room" clarity. Fragile? Sure speakers and amp are a replacement at some point. It will be interesting to try the were version.

Quick Reply: Planning to Purchase a 2010 LS soon-Need Help!