LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

May need another new starting battery....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-17, 08:46 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts
Default May need another new starting battery....

Go into my car at 5 am this morning and tried to start it....Nothing. Got the dash message ("battery low....start car"). Uhhhhh...I'm tryin' here!!

Anyway, had to jump start it and off I went. So now it sits in my work parking lot and I wonder if she'll fire up after work. I have a sneaking suspicion that the battery is kaput. I replaced it 2.5 years ago with an AC Delco Professional and it's still under replacement warranty. It's been unusually cold here (several degrees below freezing) for the last several days. Yesterday I noticed that it turned over slower than usual, but I attributed it to the cold weather. Clearly, something ain't right.

Stay tuned.
Old 01-04-17, 08:58 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Of course you know what to do ... no need to offer suggestions. I tried to find a place to buy an AC Delco battery around here, based on your battery posts. Not very easy / convenient in this area. Which is why I went for the Napa "The Legend Premium" 8424 (what a silly name). Your situation makes me glad the AC Delco battery wasn't simple, therefore I didn't pursue it. But, time will tell. Maybe my Napa 8424 will last 7 years (84 months) like the original Panasonic. I have my doubts.

The weather up yonder in the great white north must be a strain on a battery.
Old 01-04-17, 09:21 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah I bet your battery is toast.

I've personally had so many bad experiences with car batteries recently that I really have ZERO faith in their advertised longevity. Brand new $150+ batteries dying after a year. I went nuts trying to figure out what was wrong with my previous car because it never crossed my mind my brand new battery was dead so soon, but sure enough it was dead.

I think they're all hunks of crap.
Old 01-04-17, 09:42 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

The weather up yonder in the great white north must be a strain on a battery.
Parts of "The Great White North" can be.....not usually this part. But, we're in a spell of bad weather these days. Normally, we're wet and in the 50's for weather through Winter (we're pretty close to Seattle).. No need for snow shovels, etc.

I'm going to take the battery in for testing later today and hopefully they'll have a replacement battery in stock.
Old 01-04-17, 09:51 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Please let's not have another debate about the best battery for our cars ...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...w-battery.html
Old 01-04-17, 09:52 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

battery from Lexus dealer has 3-year full replacement warranty, convenient for a LS460
Old 01-04-17, 10:10 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Please let's not have another debate about the best battery for our cars ...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...w-battery.html
Yea, seriously.

I've had the Optima for a few months now and it's been fantastic. Of course that's probably attributable to it being a new battery, plus I live in FL so I'm not dealing with the low temps you're getting. Get the battery tested. If it's a no go I'd say get an Optima.
Old 01-04-17, 12:45 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Cmon! Battery debate!
Old 01-04-17, 02:18 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't know how often you drive or how many kms you put on the car for the car to properly charge the battery. Just curious if you have a battery charger/maintainer connected to it while park overnight? I know when I had my car parked in the garage for 2 weeks during the cold weather (low teens at night), the battery went dead. I had to revive it by charging and hooked up the Battery Tender to keep the battery charged.
Old 01-04-17, 03:14 PM
Nospinzone

Received 420 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Cmon! Battery debate!
Trouble maker!

I don't know if I posted this, but about two months ago I finally changed out my original battery. I took delivery of my car in July, 2007. So that battery actually lasted over 9 years! I was going to try to keep it for another winter, but I decided that was pushing it because I could tell the battery was weaker.

In the past I had good luck with the Sears Diehard Gold for other cars, but this time I elected to go with an Interstate.
Old 01-04-17, 05:27 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's like buying a new LED TV. Even from the same brand, some are good, some are bad with backlight bleed, flash lighting, etc.

I liken it to the TV lottery; buy a TV and cross your fingers. Car batteries are the same thing to me. It's all luck whether it will last.
Old 01-04-17, 05:38 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Not only battery, check whole charging system plus all the connections. I always had good luck with Canadian tire Eliminator series batteries
Here in Calgary we are dealing with -25C temp. and snow lately. No problem starting RX Hybrid in the morning. High humidity is bad for
electrical system.
Old 01-05-17, 07:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Update. Battery tested fine. Haven't had any issue starting it yesterday or this morning. Sooooo.....no idea what happened.
Old 01-05-17, 07:34 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Update. Battery tested fine. Haven't had any issue starting it yesterday or this morning. Sooooo.....no idea what happened.
Glad to hear your problem resolved itself. Them gremlins are working overtime...
Old 01-05-17, 07:50 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by comotiger
Glad to hear your problem resolved itself. Them gremlins are working overtime...
Yeah...."one of those things".

Quick Reply: May need another new starting battery....