LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS for high mileage commuter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-17, 06:12 PM
OKhunter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS for high mileage commuter?

I'm in need of a car to put a bunch of miles on, but do it comfortably. I drive about 35,000-40,000 miles a year for work, some of which is paid. I've noticed that the mileage is around 24-27 on the highway. That's the vast majority of my driving. I'd like something I can drive about 5 years and swap out. My thought way to find one with 40-60k miles and see how long it take to run up the miles. Am I crazy, or would this car work for something like this?
Old 01-08-17, 06:32 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

I use mine as a commuter, 600 miles a week. I needed something comfortable and reliable, while giving me decent fuel economy. So for the car has been all of that and then some. The only thing bad I can say about the car is that when it does break - and all cars do - the parts are very expensive. Having said that, it is very reliable.
Old 01-08-17, 07:01 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

The LS460 is the most comfortable and competent highway trip car we've ever driven. We regularly drive 8 hours one way to our cottage, and it is amazing how much better and less fatigued we feel afterwards vs. any other car.
Old 01-08-17, 08:02 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Hey OKhunter, I would certainly advocate the LS for a high mileage commute as long as you're ok with premium gas for the duration of your drive. It is downright dependable in most instances, I got 31mpg when I drove from Dallas to OKC 2 summers ago in my LS. Obviously depends what year and features you're looking for in a LS. There are a whole host of other vehicles I could recommend to you outside of the Lexus brand that would eat up highway miles (i.e. the newly redesigned Impala has caught my eye and is good on reliability). Since you're keeping it for 5 years, assume you won't be too worried about resale value.
Old 01-09-17, 12:02 PM
OKhunter
Driver School Candidate

Resale doesn't worry me as I'll probably give it to my daughter at that point. I just want something that will provide me with a nice ride, look good, and not cost an arm and a leg with repair bills while I'm throwing a lot of highway miles on it. I drive an F150 right now. It's a 2012 I've had since new and it's got 165,000 on the clock right now. It's been a good truck, but I'd like something that's more comfortable. I'll look at anything, but the LS has caught my eye for quite a while now.
Old 01-09-17, 12:15 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I agree with the others. I use mine for a 75 mile round trip commute 5 days a week. And if I may suggest buy a certified pre-owned from lexus dealer. THey now offer 2 years unlimited mileage warranty as a CPO and you can purchase an additional 4 years unlimited mileage. You cant beat that! You could drive the thing for 400,000 miles or more and still have a warranty if you pay for the extra years. I extended mine to 4 years because thats about how long i keep a car. I personally felt it was easier dealing with a lexus dealer than a third party warranty company for repairs.
Old 01-09-17, 12:43 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I have a differing opinion, but since this is a Lexus LS forum, I may get pummeled. However, since my vote is a Toyota product, maybe I won't be completely destroyed.

My opinion comes from a very conservative person's standpoint. A 2 to 4 year old Toyota Camry, with a 4 cylinder and low miles. There are so many, that low mileage used ones can be had for $12k - $20k easily. And then miles can be blown on that car with a lot less guilt. I would feel guilty slamming miles on a very nice and expensive car, when I can slam them on a nice (left off the very) and less expensive car. Plus, if the vehicle is to be passed down to a young driver, a Camry is easier to drive than an LS (just because it is smaller).

Is it better than the LS? What a loaded question... Compared to the LS, it may only be better at a) parking, and b) being cheap (purchase, fuel, insurance, maintenance, repair). Anyway, that's my thinking.

I shall duck and cover now.

Jason
Old 01-09-17, 01:07 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
I have a differing opinion, but since this is a Lexus LS forum, I may get pummeled. However, since my vote is a Toyota product, maybe I won't be completely destroyed.

My opinion comes from a very conservative person's standpoint. A 2 to 4 year old Toyota Camry, with a 4 cylinder and low miles. There are so many, that low mileage used ones can be had for $12k - $20k easily. And then miles can be blown on that car with a lot less guilt. I would feel guilty slamming miles on a very nice and expensive car, when I can slam them on a nice (left off the very) and less expensive car. Plus, if the vehicle is to be passed down to a young driver, a Camry is easier to drive than an LS (just because it is smaller).

Is it better than the LS? What a loaded question... Compared to the LS, it may only be better at a) parking, and b) being cheap (purchase, fuel, insurance, maintenance, repair). Anyway, that's my thinking.

I shall duck and cover now.

Jason
You can rot in hell (just kidding).

You bring up some excellent points, and I used to feel the same way, but someone changed my opinion when they found out I wasn't commuting in my LS, but instead an old Accord I have. The guy said to me...why don't you drive the thing? It's just going to end up in a junkyard someday anyway, that's where they all end up, drive it and have fun. And since then that's exactly what I did.

As for the Camry...nice car...great commuter....reliable, good on gas, but it isn't exactly "a lot of car". What I mean by that is when you have a big commute you spend a lot of time in that car, you spend hours of your life doing something that you're trying to convince yourself is not so bad/almost enjoyable. You have to justify your long commute...why you took that job...why you won't move...the time spent on the road. It becomes tough when you're doing that in a Camry that has little power, lots of noise, and a bland interior. You're depriving yourself of some things that you could have in those hours upon hours of commuting. And the LS is absolutely made for it, yet it's just a car...it's not a time piece...it's not an investment that will do anything but depreciate anyway. As long as you don't mind spending a little more on fuel - and surprisingly it's not much more - and as long as you don't mind spending more on parts (which are a lot more, but the car is super reliabe)? Then go for it!

Just my two cents, but your idea certainly is the norm.
Old 01-09-17, 01:52 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Good arguments. Since I have 3 sons at home, I tend to be very conservative about where I spend my money. I did by an LS though, but cars are the only place where I really waste money. I'm fighting hard NOT to waste money on a Viper ACR.
Old 01-09-17, 02:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Personally, the more miles I drive the nicer a car I want. If I didn't drive as much I wouldn't spend as much on a car.
Old 01-09-17, 02:50 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
The LS460 is the most comfortable and competent highway trip car we've ever driven. We regularly drive 8 hours one way to our cottage, and it is amazing how much better and less fatigued we feel afterwards vs. any other car.
We drove down to Disneyland (Anaheim, CA) from Sacramento, CA. Due to traffic and all, it was a good 9-10 hours. It was in an 06 LS 430 but my wife and 5-year-old were as comfy as could be. Neither of them complained of needing to stop to stretch their legs. Sure, we needed potty breaks but we've struggled to make 3-hour commutes in a Toyota Sienna XLE before. The LS just glides and you reach your destination without feeling worn out.
Old 01-09-17, 03:47 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Personally, the more miles I drive the nicer a car I want. If I didn't drive as much I wouldn't spend as much on a car.
Bingo. My commuter car is my LS. It is my sanctuary and de-stressor on my way to and from work. It's therapeutic. My ML cranked up, my car coddling me and assuring me all is right in the world and earning it's keep.
Old 01-09-17, 05:51 PM
OKhunter
Driver School Candidate

One of the main reasons I like these cars is the amount of time I have to spend in one. 2 hours a day minimum is a lot, and there are times that it's 10-12. It's almost all highway, with maybe 10% in the city. It should make for decent mileage. Better than the 17 I get in the truck. I'd love to find something around a 2010 with minimal miles.

Is is there anything that's prone to break that I should
look to avoid?
Old 01-09-17, 05:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

In general the consensus is to avoid the air suspension if you can
Old 01-09-17, 06:24 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

As someone who had an LS and is now driving a Camry........Get the LS. Nothing relaxed me more than leaving work and getting into that seat. It made all the stresses from work melt away. My Camry...not so much. The only thing I like about the Camry is the aftermarket system I've put in it. Other than that, nothing about it is even close. The cheap gas is good, but I'm on the hunt for another LS for a reason.

Quick Reply: LS for high mileage commuter?