LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 04:37 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rogersmith
Finally, I hate the GPS / Nav system in my LS. I hate it so much that I use my smartphone for nav. The lack of a touchscreen is a major drawback, and I've had too many cases where the GPS goes crazy, and shows that I"m in the middle of the Hudson River instead of heading to my destination.

Here's hoping that Lexus fixed the electronics. They're Japenese for cripes sake. They should be the industry leader.
Agreed. I "downgraded" in luxury to a 392 Challenger SRT, but I have to tell you, the NAV / Entertainment system is the best in the industry. Super easy to use, all touch screen, garmin based. Kicks a$$.
Old 01-10-17, 04:53 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seriously..... Watch this video and tell me. What is up with this design?.... It does nothing for me. NADA.

Old 01-10-17, 04:57 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I suppose the one thing I will say is if Lexus bandied this out as the GS replacement, I would not have batted an eyelash. For some reason, it looks more like a GS than an LS to me. Might be different in the flesh.
Old 01-10-17, 05:06 PM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updated video of "new" LS:

Old 01-10-17, 05:08 PM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Junglequac
I suppose the one thing I will say is if Lexus bandied this out as the GS replacement, I would not have batted an eyelash. For some reason, it looks more like a GS than an LS to me. Might be different in the flesh.
Originally Posted by e325rkh
Updated video of "new" LS:

Agreed a SWB version would have made a great GS.
Old 01-10-17, 05:12 PM
hmooblis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I instantly saw was a mash up of the 07-12 ls460 with the newer gen ES class body. Couldn't help but notice altima taillights also. Guess the look will grow on people as it always do.

It'll be great for me cause now I can trade up to a 13 ls460 f sport lol
Old 01-10-17, 05:17 PM
hmooblis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, no v8 option? I'm sure they got something in the works as they did with the gs lineup... lsf anyone?
Old 01-10-17, 06:53 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
^^ I'm not sure if it will depreciate that fast because Lexus is famous for being reliable. But besides that, I think most of the depreciation will happen because the car is just plain ugly.
I agree with other posts that say the 07-09 was the best design. After that seems like the LS just became another sedan trying to find its space in the design realm.
Whoever thought that this predator grill would look cool and all wasn't thinking right. Sport and Luxury can happen at the same time (case in point, Aston Martin DBS) but I know, I know, the LS is a 4 door sedan. Toyota has the muscle and money to make a S65 AMG killer, the only problem is it's money that will never come back in sales. But it could yield dividends in the perception of the brand. Imagine a properly designed LS with a bi-turbo V12. It would sell very few units, but it would make a bold statement that they're not joking around. V6? Pfffffff.....
This is where I thought, and hoped the brand was leading too

Japans samurai sword cutting the through the german market ...supercharged V8's and V12's....blowing the competition out of the water ....instead it comes out with this petty little pip squeak that cant even compete with a 15 year old AMG

The worst part is I watched a few videos where they say this is the direction Lexus is heading too, smaller engines that are "quieter and get better fuel economy" (as if that was ever a problem )

Seriously..... Watch this video and tell me. What is up with this design?.... It does nothing for me. NADA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOuJ0iXk05w
Actually I noticed they cheated on their big debuts, they showed the car with much larger wheels , with less wheel gap and a decent fitment ......now I see that was a lie and they did it just for show ....

The car itself is bad enough, they took the current 460 and just made it worse , its not even drastically different .....then you get to the front end....the curved front fenders and the front grill seems like they let a 5 year old draw it on in a bad photoshop

If they come out with a V8 engine it will redeem them somewhat , but until then the situation is hopeless

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 01-10-17 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 07:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Speaking to fuel economy never having been a problem, actually I would say it is kind of a problem. Fuel economy in my Lexus sedans has been fair to poor IMHO. I get 15-16 around town, didn't get much better in my GS.
Old 01-10-17, 07:09 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 370 Likes on 255 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOuJ0iXk05w
I am going to attempt to say a few things here that haven't been said so far. I'm glad someone posted this video- I have watched this a few times and was going to post this same link. Have a few comments. First off, I'm 37 going on 57 and have exclusively owned LS's since I was 25. As an early teenager I grew up with an LS in the family ('92 LS 400) - I consider myself an LS loyalist who is an odd blend of a conservative 70 year old LS consumer and a 40 year old looking for something a bit more dynamic...
1) Go to the 1:17 mark and pause. This is the least flattering angle of the new LS. From this angle, I actually see a Model S, Model X or even a slight bit of the Audi A7/S7 with the rear shaping towards the trunk and definitely some sort of Nissan or Infiniti tail light design as noted dozens of times here already.
2) Go to 2:10 and pause. I see a lot of ES, a little bit of Nissan/Infiniti, and a bit of Genesis here. I'm not necessarily saying that as a bad thing as I don't mind any of those cars from the rear.
3) Next, go to the 4:29 mark and pause. This is from a different angle but you still see the same unflattering shaping of the rear. I'm again seeing some of the Tesla or A7/S7 shaping (more Tesla to me as it appears "higher" than an Audi).

To all the folks comparing it to the Infiniti M (or Q50, Q70, Q70L), I personally don't think that's a horrible thing. I actually like a lot about the exterior Q 50 and 70 line- my neighbor has a 2016 black/black Q70L and it always makes me look twice. FWIW, I love the big 5 star wheels on the Q and hate the wheel selection shown so far on the LS. I know that is subjective, or at least thought it was subjective until reading threads earlier today...!

I showed my wife the video- she absolutely hates the 3rd gen and 4th gen LS. (loves Audi, Mercedes and BMW design). She really liked the front of the car, esp. the headlights. She also instantly commented on how nice the seats and leather looked (esp. the back seats), but groaned a little as you see the car from the side/back as pointed out in points 1 and 2 above. I point this out only because she despises recent LS's so much and had a very different initial reaction to this one from most angles and 100% on the interior.

I was hoping Lexus would do something timeless, yet unique...but I find myself seeing too many other non-premium cars in the design. There is no mistaking an S class, 7 series, or A8 for anything else on the road IMO. A G90 looks an awful lot like a Ford or Chrysler in the front to me. Outside of the length and front grill and headlight design, I don't see anything all that unique about the exterior styling on the LS500.

Ironically today I was at a stoplight next to a new Audi S8 and couldn't help but admire the lines of that car and notice the combo of how unique the car is but also how gracefully it will age. Not sure I see that happening here, but as a Lexus loyalist I will remain optimistic.

This kinda makes me re-think everything as it relates to the LS. I have kept my last 2 LS's to 250k and beyond. Not sure I would do that with a twin turbo V6. So that puts me in the crowd of buying a car that I ditch at end of warranty or end of CPO. Which makes Mercedes, Audi, BMW and Genesis all very viable contenders for my money. I'd even throw the new Volvo sedan and the Q70L in the mix just for kicks if I'm willing to not have a V8.

I never seriously considered any other brand when buying my last 2 LS's but this would make me kick tires on several brands.
Old 01-10-17, 07:14 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I am going to attempt to say a few things here that haven't been said so far. I'm glad someone posted this video- I have watched this a few times and was going to post this same link. Have a few comments. First off, I'm 37 going on 57 and have exclusively owned LS's since I was 25. As an early teenager I grew up with an LS in the family ('92 LS 400) - I consider myself an LS loyalist who is an odd blend of a conservative 70 year old LS consumer and a 40 year old looking for something a bit more dynamic...
1) Go to the 1:17 mark and pause. This is the least flattering angle of the new LS. From this angle, I actually see a Model S, Model X or even a slight bit of the Audi A7/S7 with the rear shaping towards the trunk and definitely some sort of Nissan or Infiniti tail light design as noted dozens of times here already.
2) Go to 2:10 and pause. I see a lot of ES, a little bit of Nissan/Infiniti, and a bit of Genesis here. I'm not necessarily saying that as a bad thing as I don't mind any of those cars from the rear.
3) Next, go to the 4:29 mark and pause. This is from a different angle but you still see the same unflattering shaping of the rear. I'm again seeing some of the Tesla or A7/S7 shaping (more Tesla to me as it appears "higher" than an Audi).

To all the folks comparing it to the Infiniti M (or Q50, Q70, Q70L), I personally don't think that's a horrible thing. I actually like a lot about the exterior Q 50 and 70 line- my neighbor has a 2016 black/black Q70L and it always makes me look twice. FWIW, I love the big 5 star wheels on the Q and hate the wheel selection shown so far on the LS. I know that is subjective, or at least thought it was subjective until reading threads earlier today...!

I showed my wife the video- she absolutely hates the 3rd gen and 4th gen LS. (loves Audi, Mercedes and BMW design). She really liked the front of the car, esp. the headlights. She also instantly commented on how nice the seats and leather looked (esp. the back seats), but groaned a little as you see the car from the side/back as pointed out in points 1 and 2 above. I point this out only because she despises recent LS's so much and had a very different initial reaction to this one from most angles and 100% on the interior.

I was hoping Lexus would do something timeless, yet unique...but I find myself seeing too many other non-premium cars in the design. There is no mistaking an S class, 7 series, or A8 for anything else on the road IMO. A G90 looks an awful lot like a Ford or Chrysler in the front to me. Outside of the length and front grill and headlight design, I don't see anything all that unique about the exterior styling on the LS500.

Ironically today I was at a stoplight next to a new Audi S8 and couldn't help but admire the lines of that car and notice the combo of how unique the car is but also how gracefully it will age. Not sure I see that happening here, but as a Lexus loyalist I will remain optimistic.

This kinda makes me re-think everything as it relates to the LS. I have kept my last 2 LS's to 250k and beyond. Not sure I would do that with a twin turbo V6. So that puts me in the crowd of buying a car that I ditch at end of warranty or end of CPO. Which makes Mercedes, Audi, BMW and Genesis all very viable contenders for my money. I'd even throw the new Volvo sedan and the Q70L in the mix just for kicks if I'm willing to not have a V8.

I never seriously considered any other brand when buying my last 2 LS's but this would make me kick tires on several brands.
Ok you can probably pick out 7 series in a crowd of cars but def not the a8 or s cause the lesser models look just like them, not the case the new beastly ls.
Old 01-10-17, 07:33 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 370 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Ok you can probably pick out 7 series in a crowd of cars but def not the a8 or s cause the lesser models look just like them, not the case the new beastly ls.
Personally, I could easily pick out an A8 or S class compared to an A6, A4, C, or E class respectively. Tons of not-so-subtle differences between the A8 vs. rest of Audi lineup and same for S class.

But you're arguing a different point than I was making as you are comparing the premium model within one manufacturer to other models they offer. I'm saying the new LS looks too similar to other non-Lexus brands from many angles. I want the LS to be easily recognizable against its competition. From the side and rear, I see too many design cues from other brands, and most disturbingly, sub-premium brands.

To your point....when driving head-on, can you tell a '13-'17 LS from a '13-'17 ES? It's not that easy to an untrained eye.
Old 01-10-17, 07:35 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Personally, I could easily pick out an A8 or S class compared to an A6, A4, C, or E class respectively. Tons of not-so-subtle differences between the A8 vs. rest of Audi lineup and same for S class.

But you're arguing a different point than I was making as you are comparing the premium model within one manufacturer to other models they offer. I'm saying the new LS looks too similar to other non-Lexus brands from many angles. I want the LS to be easily recognizable against its competition. From the side and rear, I see too many design cues from other brands, and most disturbingly, sub-premium brands.

To your point....when driving head-on, can you tell a '13-'17 LS from a '13-'17 ES? It's not that easy to an untrained eye.
Yea you def can, I myself drive a 16 es. And I can easily distinguish one from the ls. Although they made the refresh es way more premium and luxurious compared to the pre refresh.
Old 01-10-17, 07:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

You can easily distinguish them because you're a huge Lexus fan. A huge MB or BMW fan can clearly distinguish their models too. Most people can't tell the difference between Lexus sedans either.

Remember too, the S Class was the first, the other cars came after. Styling of the new ES and GS will look a whole lot more like the LS once they're redesigned too.
Old 01-10-17, 07:53 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You can easily distinguish them because you're a huge Lexus fan. A huge MB or BMW fan can clearly distinguish their models too. Most people can't tell the difference between Lexus sedans either.

Remember too, the S Class was the first, the other cars came after. Styling of the new ES and GS will look a whole lot more like the LS once they're redesigned too.
Now that I cannot wait for. As I love the new ls and I think you are one of the memebers that likes it as much as I do.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!