LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 07:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You can easily distinguish them because you're a huge Lexus fan. A huge MB or BMW fan can clearly distinguish their models too. Most people can't tell the difference between Lexus sedans either.

Remember too, the S Class was the first, the other cars came after. Styling of the new ES and GS will look a whole lot more like the LS once they're redesigned too.
Indeed. People forget that Lexus concepts are like Easter Eggs. It foretold the future way back in April of 2011 at the NY Auto Show

Old 01-10-17, 08:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Now that I cannot wait for. As I love the new ls and I think you are one of the memebers that likes it as much as I do.
I like it a lot. I'm still wrestling with the V6...for me price will matter a lot. Also how it drives, I am a ride biased guy, if it's a lot firmer and sportier that's not going to work for me.
Old 01-10-17, 08:54 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Never been a fan of the Spindle Grill concept, and its got far too much chrome for my liking, but if it has the engine configuration and power figures it says it does, then it is going to be one hell of a luxobarge. Disappointing to see a lack of a UR-series V8, the 5L or 5.7L would be fitting for the car and the market. We will see what happens on launch
Old 01-10-17, 10:17 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow, so many yearning for a V8. For what? The current V8 has about 386 hp. Slap on a couple of scrolls and DI, and you can easily get 450-550 HP on a new engine. Lexus knows that, but why not? Because of the very reason all of you LS owners love your current LS's reliable, smooth, and adequate power out of a 386 hp motor for $20k-40k below the S and 7er. A real bargain. A 415 hp motor,10 speed tranny, and a lighter chassis will do wonders.

While you may want the new LS to compete and save face with MB, BMW, and Audi performance with a v8, most Lexus LS buyers will be happy with the 415 hp initial offering as long as it is reliable. How many of you think your LS is lacking in HP? Would more HP, 10 speed tranny, and lighter chassis be an upgrade? When I get into my bimmer, the engine, tranny, and suspension makes me drive more aggressively than a typical drivers on the road. In doing so, I don't expect the engine, or car, to last long either. But when I get into into my Lexus (be it the LS or LX), my driving habits change.

For those of you that what the v8, get the GS-F. The LS is for leisure calm pleasure driving. Dropping in a v8 will likely be a second year LS once their customers have come around to the new styling. If you can't wait, you gotta pay to play with MB, BMW, and Audi.

As for looks, I might buy it if it is cheap enough. As for styling, it is true to Japanese as MB, BMW, and Audi are to European.
The following users liked this post:
Bogglo (01-13-17)
Old 01-11-17, 12:01 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Speaking to fuel economy never having been a problem, actually I would say it is kind of a problem. Fuel economy in my Lexus sedans has been fair to poor IMHO. I get 15-16 around town, didn't get much better in my GS.
How could getting the exact mileage that Lexus promised be considered a "problem"?

Did you not check the specs before purchase?
Old 01-11-17, 02:08 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

The thing about the V6 is that I would be shocked if the fuel economy actually improves in actual driving scenarios as opposed to the EPA's testing cycle. Ford's Ecoboost gets worse mileage than the Coyote V8 in their F150's and this is not an unusual story. Once into the boost, gas mileage plummets.

If you drive with a light foot, I would guess the city MPG might rise, but not sure how much the highway will. Granted they added two more speeds to the transmission, but how many overdrives does one need? As is, I get around 30 MPG on the highway driving between 75-80.

And while many have adroitly pointed out that with each new generation, especially going from the 430 to 460 that there is some heavy initial resistance, this seems a whole magnitude different. Going from almost 20 years of a naturally aspirated V8 to a TT6 is a pretty major change in mission.

And agreed that they are hoping this car will skew younger as if the target demo is 60+, they might need to employ someone from their local Genius Bar to operate the bloody thing. I dig it (the interior that is), but spent almost a decade as a technology writer.
Old 01-11-17, 02:56 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
The thing about the V6 is that I would be shocked if the fuel economy actually improves in actual driving scenarios as opposed to the EPA's testing cycle. Ford's Ecoboost gets worse mileage than the Coyote V8 in their F150's and this is not an unusual story. Once into the boost, gas mileage plummets.

If you drive with a light foot, I would guess the city MPG might rise, but not sure how much the highway will. Granted they added two more speeds to the transmission, but how many overdrives does one need? As is, I get around 30 MPG on the highway driving between 75-80.

And while many have adroitly pointed out that with each new generation, especially going from the 430 to 460 that there is some heavy initial resistance, this seems a whole magnitude different. Going from almost 20 years of a naturally aspirated V8 to a TT6 is a pretty major change in mission.

And agreed that they are hoping this car will skew younger as if the target demo is 60+, they might need to employ someone from their local Genius Bar to operate the bloody thing. I dig it (the interior that is), but spent almost a decade as a technology writer.
UNECE WP29 is currently developing a new global harmonized driving cycle.
The authorities are coming out with a New European Driving Cycle NEDC to more accurately measure economy under real driving conditions.
I wonder where Spwlf is; he would know this sort of thing back to front and inside out.

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-11-17 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-11-17, 03:10 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

I like it a lot. I'm still wrestling with the V6...for me price will matter a lot. Also how it drives, I am a ride biased guy, if it's a lot firmer and sportier that's not going to work for me.
Back in 2009, the new incoming TMC president Akio Toyoda pledged that TMC products will have more inspired styling, and more inspired dynamics etc.
That's why the new Prius and Mirais look really whacko, and why they also seem to be using very firm suspension.
Lexus claims that the all new LS500 will be the most performance-oriented LS ever!
So it will be interesting to see how well the all new 5LS rides...
Old 01-11-17, 05:47 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

All the v6tt vs v8 talk is a bit strange. LS460 drivers talk about cruising and not driving fast and maybe this time Lexus listened. They delivered a motor with good torque and a trans with a lot of gears. If thrust is the issue/concern, more cylinders doesn't always mean better real world performance. The BMW 740e has some batteries, a 4cylinder motor and is estimated to outrun a LS600h to 60 while getting double the mpg's. The surveys and significant research put that v6tt in the LS500; the computers and stats win
Old 01-11-17, 05:54 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Back in 2009, the new incoming TMC president Akio Toyoda pledged that TMC products will have more inspired styling, and more inspired dynamics etc.
That's why the new Prius and Mirais look really whacko, and why they also seem to be using very firm suspension.
Lexus claims that the all new LS500 will be the most performance-oriented LS ever!
So it will be interesting to see how well the all new 5LS rides...
IMO, styling has never been a Japanese strong point. Sometimes it turns out great as with the 300ZX. Other time, it just looks odd like the Prius. This car heavily leans to the odd side for me, and I'm not sure how that is going to be received by the customer base. The original LS success came from mimicking the S Class, but cheaper, better, and more reliability. Not sure what they were thinking with this car.
Old 01-11-17, 06:37 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

They are already well established, can take risks. The cars looks weird but I also like how low it looks and wider.

Originally Posted by Bob04
IMO, styling has never been a Japanese strong point. Sometimes it turns out great as with the 300ZX. Other time, it just looks odd like the Prius. This car heavily leans to the odd side for me, and I'm not sure how that is going to be received by the customer base. The original LS success came from mimicking the S Class, but cheaper, better, and more reliability. Not sure what they were thinking with this car.
Old 01-11-17, 07:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
How could getting the exact mileage that Lexus promised be considered a "problem"?

Did you not check the specs before purchase?
I'm not saying that I'm getting lower mileage than is advertised, and I am not surprised by the mileage, I'm just saying the mileage is low and all things being equal, I'd like better mileage. The implication was "the mileage is great already"

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Actually all the reviews I've watched and read of the new Prius and Mirai say they ride quite well.
Old 01-11-17, 08:22 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus will be stupid if they ruined the comfort of this car for sportiness. This is like screwing the loyal LS customers.
Old 01-11-17, 08:24 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

This would be a great GS update, it's looks both sporty and luxurious for a Grand Touring sedan / coupe.
Old 01-11-17, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMNss
Lexus will be stupid if they ruined the comfort of this car for sportiness. This is like screwing the loyal LS customers.
We shall see...

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!