LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-17, 08:50 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think we need to drive it before we complained about the new engine
Old 01-11-17, 08:51 AM
CokeBear
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaSyce
This would be a great GS update, it's looks both sporty and luxurious for a Grand Touring sedan / coupe.
Couldn't agree more. This should have been the next GS, not the new LS. GS is positioned as more sporty and more edgy. LS is more stately. The new LS is a total failure in my option.
The following 2 users liked this post by CokeBear:
aypues (01-11-17), Jasoneo5 (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 09:49 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CokeBear
Couldn't agree more. This should have been the next GS, not the new LS. GS is positioned as more sporty and more edgy. LS is more stately. The new LS is a total failure in my option.
I agreed 100%
Old 01-11-17, 11:22 AM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Having had another day to preview the exterior, I can't say my view has changed at all. Some angles are great, but many just look downright ugly. The window section near the rear c-pillar absolutely kills it for me. Thought it would look better in videos, but that's not the case to me. I"m a huge fan of the more edgy direction that Lexus has chosen to undertake in their design philosophy. I think the GS, IS, NX and RX are great looking vehicles that embrace this more edgy design. Yet somehow, I think the LS500 has clearly missed the mark with its design. Maybe it's the preconceived notion that I expected a more elegant and less edgy design? Regardless, I'm sure in person it will look better, but I'm not holding my breath. This press car and the car used in the launch media, all show the LS500 with minor wheel gaps and a lowered look. The production model and the usual 4x4 stance from Lexus will change the look considerably.

I still believe the interior is a big step forward, but three things need to be addressed:
1. The drive mode select ***** via LFA inspired design needs to go.
2. The guitar string design across the dash/HVAC vents create too busy of a design.
3. Instrument cluster is a total mess and doesn't fit in a vehicle of this class. Steering wheel is a little busy, but overall design is nice.

Lack of engine choices at the moment is the final nail in the coffin. Not sure who Lexus is trying to compete with, but this segment has some real heavy hitters and they are all bringing a gun to a knife fight. I've had a decent amount of time in the S-Class and I have nothing bad to say about it (albeit it was in a S63 AMG). It does everything well and is truly the standard at which everyone is trying to chase in this segment. Dollar for dollar, the S-Class would be my choice every time without a doubt.

And this here brings us to the ultimate test for the LS500, sales number. Each of the past LS generation has done very well during their respective model year launch. Design, technology, features, space, etc... will all play a role in determining sale figures. But pricing will have the biggest affect on this test. Anything near $90 K, I'll look elsewhere in this segment. But keep it at low $80 K and I think the value card will have a big effect. Having said all that, I would like to test drive it when it comes out.

Let the discussion continue.
Old 01-11-17, 11:35 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Actually all the reviews I've watched and read of the new Prius and Mirai say they ride quite well.
I was in the new Prius taxi about 7 months ago; it's way too firm Steve.

That Akio Toyoda is a real Ming Mole.
He should stick to being president of TMC.
He should not be allowed to design input cars.
President Akio's design input only serves to highlight Mercedes' talent for styling and comfort.

Now, Akio is heading TMC's new electric vehicles EV division!
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-to...-idUSKBN13P11J
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...as-ev-division
https://cleantechnica.com/2016/12/04...ndson-founder/
http://insideevs.com/toyota-ceo-akio...ning-division/
Be ready for some strange looking Toyota/Lexus electric vehicles with firm suspension...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-11-17 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-11-17, 11:52 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as they keep the 18cf trunk for my bicycle, I'm buying it.
Old 01-11-17, 12:11 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Though I like the interior, the Frankenstein Electrodes on the dash pod need to go. I don't care for the gauge cluster either. The exterior.. meh....Rather have the Q70L that doesn't include the Prius features...what are you doing, Lexus? Hmmmm....
Old 01-11-17, 12:29 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the european stylings of kia and hyundai are becoming more alluring.

however, nothing will beat the value of a used usf40 right now.
Old 01-11-17, 01:25 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those droopey tail light look is just wrong. Totally utterly wrong. Enough reason to not choose this car.

gotta admit the g90 hyundai looks more grandeur.

but no company exec will want to be seen in a hyundai.
Old 01-11-17, 02:08 PM
sistrunk05
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
Funny thing about car buyers; when you let them down they don't run back right away. The Legend was a hit. Makes you wonder about the R&D for a car that has 25+ years of business.
We really can't compare the Acura debacle to what some believe is a bad design/engineering from Lexus.

1) They are in 2 different price points ($60K for the RL/RLX vs. an potential $90K base for the LS500.).
2) In the luxury segment, Lexus has cemented itself as a luxury leader for almost 30 years where as Acura as a luxury brand started to faulter way before the 2005 RL.
3) Always need to kick the tires and see it in different colors in person. Pictures are good but you can't experience a car in a picture.

Can't wait to see it in person later this year!!!
Old 01-11-17, 05:38 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

I think over all, it's a nice looking car. Just not sold on the new look YET but, I am sure it would grow on me. I think the 460 body flowed a little better, just my feeling on it. I remember when the 460 came out and this discussion was the same way, about 50% of the people had something to complain about on it.

I also am disappointed in no v8, I am sure they can hit the numbers with tweaking a v6 with twin turbos and it's possible that the MPG would better on it but, I don't think most people buy a LS because they are worried about the MPG on a v8 car....maybe it's me ?
Old 01-11-17, 05:55 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
I think over all, it's a nice looking car. Just not sold on the new look YET but, I am sure it would grow on me. I think the 460 body flowed a little better, just my feeling on it. I remember when the 460 came out and this discussion was the same way, about 50% of the people had something to complain about on it.

I also am disappointed in no v8, I am sure they can hit the numbers with tweaking a v6 with twin turbos and it's possible that the MPG would better on it but, I don't think most people buy a LS because they are worried about the MPG on a v8 car....maybe it's me ?
Back in 2007, on its debut year, 35,000 Americans thought the LS460's lines flowed a bit better & ended up signing on the dotted line...
Old 01-11-17, 07:15 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Man I'm really bummed. My entire long-term car plan was thrown for a loop.

I had every intention of getting this car knowing almost assuredly it would have the 5 liter engine--which is an engine I covet--and keeping that car for ten years so I could at least enjoy some time with zero car payment.

There are two reasons I wanted that car and engine and one was crucial to my long-term plan.

1. It has 471 HP!
2. It's naturally aspirated, no forced induction.

The second part was key to my comfort level of holding on to that car for ten years. I'm leery of holding onto a blown, forced induction engine for ten years. These engines just run CONSIDERABLY hotter and temperature is the bane of anything mechanical.

Christ, I bet new turbos would cost on the order $5k installed, not to mention the engine seals under considerable stress, oil leaks due to the extensive amount of additional oil pipes, everywhere, water pumps and it sounds like this engine is JUST direct injected, no port injection, which means carbon buildup (although I have no idea).

The only thing holding me back on keeping my current car is because it's fairly spartan. I had to buy this and there was only one on the lot, this one. Next time around I planned on finding something with the options I truly wanted.

What do I do now...

If I'm going to be flipping cars every few years again I may as well buy a German car. The only reason I went Lexus was because of reliability and my long-term goal of ten years of ownership. I'm not about to guinea pig that engine for ten years and considering the crap long-term reliability of all new turbos, who freaking knows how this one will do.
Old 01-11-17, 07:20 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Man I'm really bummed. My entire long-term car plan was thrown for a loop.

I had every intention of getting this car knowing almost assuredly it would have the 5 liter engine--which is an engine I covet--and keeping that car for ten years so I could at least enjoy some time with zero car payment.

There are two reasons I wanted that car and engine and one was crucial to my long-term plan.

1. It has 471 HP!
2. It's naturally aspirated, no forced induction.

The second part was key to my comfort level of holding on to that car for ten years. I'm leery of holding onto a blown, forced induction engine for ten years. These engines just run CONSIDERABLY hotter and temperature is the bane of anything mechanical.

Christ, I bet new turbos would cost on the order $5k installed, not to mention the engine seals under considerable stress, oil leaks due to the extensive amount of additional oil pipes, everywhere, water pumps and it sounds like this engine is JUST direct injected, no port injection, which means carbon buildup (although I have no idea).

The only thing holding me back on keeping my current car is because it's fairly spartan. I had to buy this and there was only one on the lot, this one. Next time around I planned on finding something with the options I truly wanted.

What do I do now...

If I'm going to be flipping cars every few years again I may as well buy a German car. The only reason I went Lexus was because of reliability and my long-term goal of ten years of ownership. I'm not about to guinea pig that engine for ten years and considering the crap long-term reliability of all new turbos, who freaking knows how this one will do.
So aside from reliability you don't Lexus as a a brand and bought this car just for reliability. Wow is all I can say to say the least but to each his own right.
Old 01-11-17, 07:28 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, that is EXACTLY why I bought this car.

That's also why I went from the crappy leave-me-stranded-check-engine-light BMW to Acura in 2006. I kept that RL for ten years as it was fairly reliable. I just stepped up to this and reliability was major, MAJOR factor.

I seriously, seriously doubt I'm the first.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!