LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-17, 03:28 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Here's what you do. Wait until right before the LS500 comes out, and trade your 16 in on a loaded 17 LS460L at a stunning deal and keep that.
I may may do that myself.
Great idea, but it could be slim pickings in terms of package options, color, etc. I wonder when they start re-tooling the assembly line for the LS500. For all you know, they may not be shipping any more 2017s, so you would have to search thru inventories at dealerships across the country for your preferred car. I would venture a guess that the base 460s on the lot would be offered a steep discounts while the highly optioned ones may be very sought after and command a premium. Great idea in any case, and hope you follow thru and remain in the LS family!

EDIT: I searched quickly thru carsdotcom. There are 747 new LSs listed, of which 99 are 460L, and 31 are 460L AWD. Of these, only 4-5 are fully loaded (UltraLux, Advanced Pre-collision etc.). All cars are still listed at MSRPs, and I am sure you could get good discounts.

Last edited by comotiger; 01-12-17 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 04:13 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's what you do. Wait until right before the LS500 comes out, and trade your 16 in on a loaded 17 LS460L at a stunning deal and keep that.

I may may do that myself.

None of the prior year LS's are going to get a deal on trade, much less than a "stunning deal" unless that's meant in stunningly low. Historically more akin to fire sale when new models roll out, especially because currently sold LS is a decade old architecture. A few CA dealers have LS in either wheelbase brand new on lot discounted $25k+.

That said, any word or speculation on what the price point will be for 2017 LS? My dealer speculated it to be in same range as current model with options, as new one will start more loaded, and said he'd let me get one below invoice on first week. He didn't believe any pricing released, and pointed out how few LS they sell compared to LX even. SUVs not my style, but obviously more popular than cars now. Excited to try it out, unsure now if will pull trigger on it, wait for 2018 for some bugs to be worked out, or go with my plan B car (more expensive than LS).

Last question, is when will club lexus start new forum for 2017+ generation LS?

Last edited by kellens; 01-12-17 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 06:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Yes, the extra 29 horsepower gain will surely blow the doors off my current LS........
By focusing on the HP you're not understanding the differences here. First, the TTV6 has ~75 more lb/ft of torque. Torque is more important for acceleration than HP. Second, turbo engines have full use of their torque bands at much lower RPM, so an engine like this may have the full 445 lb/ft of torque available at perhaps 1500 RPM, while our engine won't have full use of our less torque until perhaps 5,000 RPM. So yes, the new LS500 will blow the doors off of our LS460s.

Originally Posted by Tantrix
I have no experience with turbos but I just dont see that kind of functionality to be reliable long term.
Then you might not want to go around telling people the turbos won't last past 100k miles. Turbos are not new, and they are not new to Toyota. Give them some credit, I have faith Toyota would not go to a turbo engine unless they could make it reliable and long lasting. Thats why it took them so long to develop and test this engine.

Originally Posted by comotiger
Great idea, but it could be slim pickings in terms of package options, color, etc. I wonder when they start re-tooling the assembly line for the LS500. For all you know, they may not be shipping any more 2017s, so you would have to search thru inventories at dealerships across the country for your preferred car. I would venture a guess that the base 460s on the lot would be offered a steep discounts while the highly optioned ones may be very sought after and command a premium. Great idea in any case, and hope you follow thru and remain in the LS family!
The new LS doesn't come out until the end of the year. They'll produce LS460s all the way up until fall. Plenty of time to get one, and you'll be able to find nicely equipped ones in inventory.

No LS460 will command a premium. People will want the new car.

Originally Posted by kellens
None of the prior year LS's are going to get a deal on trade, much less than a "stunning deal" unless that's meant in stunningly low. Historically more akin to fire sale when new models roll out, especially because currently sold LS is a decade old architecture. A few CA dealers have LS in either wheelbase brand new on lot discounted $25k+.
I'm not talking about the trade, I'm talking about the purchase price of the car. You can get nearly $20,000 off a new LS right now, so I would already consider that a stunning deal. Rhambler and I both lease, so trade in value is important but it isn't everything. With so much room on the purchase price of the new car, theres room to work out a deal including a trade.

That said, any word or speculation on what the price point will be for 2017 LS? My dealer speculated it to be in same range as current model with options, as new one will start more loaded, and said he'd let me get one below invoice on first week. He didn't believe any pricing released, and pointed out how few LS they sell compared to LX even. SUVs not my style, but obviously more popular than cars now. Excited to try it out, unsure now if will pull trigger on it, wait for 2018 for some bugs to be worked out, or go with my plan B car (more expensive than LS).
Unfortunately my guess is it will be considerably more than the current LS. My guess is mid 80s to start, perhaps closer to 90.

Last question, is when will club lexus start new forum for 2017+ generation LS?
Not until much closer to launch.
Old 01-12-17, 08:26 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

By focusing on the HP you're not understanding the differences here. First, the TTV6 has ~75 more lb/ft of torque. Torque is more important for acceleration than HP. Second, turbo engines have full use of their torque bands at much lower RPM, so an engine like this may have the full 445 lb/ft of torque available at perhaps 1500 RPM, while our engine won't have full use of our less torque until perhaps 5,000 RPM. So yes, the new LS500 will blow the doors off of our LS460s.
The fact that you think a turbo car can hit full power by 1500 rpm tells me you are the one that isn't understanding.

There are no turbo cars , or any cars that can reach full power at 1500 rpm, that's what my car idles at on a cold start up LOL

Also our 460's hit peak torque at 4000 RPM, not 5000
Old 01-12-17, 08:32 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

It's only three days, and I am beginning to like the new LS a whole lot more than Monday. After the initial shock of the V8 loss, funky rear window and some interior design choices (Frankenstein ***** and Oriental fans ) wears off, there is much to appreciate and admire in this car. Some of the videos have been very helpful, especially the German one. One neat feature is that the air suspension will raise the car for easy entry and exit; maybe Lexus will give customers the option of choosing between several suspension heights, not just normal and high. It's weird that Lexus will not offer Apple Carplay or Android Auto. I could easily see myself getting a fully-loaded CPO/used car with the works (rear DVD screens, dual moon roofs, etc.) in 2020 or 2021. The only catch is by then the reason to get rear DVDs will be long gone, as one son will be in college and the other nearly there . Oh well, my 2014 will just have to do....
Old 01-12-17, 09:21 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

The fact that you think a turbo car can hit full power by 1500 rpm tells me you are the one that isn't understanding.

There are no turbo cars , or any cars that can reach full power at 1500 rpm, that's what my car idles at on a cold start up LOL

He said peak torque at 1500 rpm, not power, and that's feasible for a turbocharged car, even at rpm a hair lower.

Last edited by caha14; 01-12-17 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 09:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You need to look up stats on turbo engines lol. I'm just making up numbers to make the point. Look up the TT Cadillac CT6, it has full torque available at 2,500 RPM. If you don't think having 75 more lb feet of torque available 1500 RPM sooner isn't going to make the LS500 faster than our LS460s you don't get how power and availability of power translates into driving feel.

The LS500 will absolutely smoke an LS460.

And there are absolutely cars that make full power at 1500 RPM or below. Big one is hybrid cars. Electric motors make full power at 0RPM. Why do you think the Ferrari LaFerrari is a hybrid?

Technology changes the playing field.
Old 01-12-17, 09:46 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
He said peak torque at 1500 rpm, not power, and that's feasible for a turbocharged car, even at rpm a hair lower.
Here's an example of multiple torque curves at different throttle openings.
Notice how at FULL throttle, the engine may deliver maximum torque from 1,500 rpm, but at 20% or 30% throttle openings, the torque can be significantly lower, depending on engine design.
A lot of people think that maximum torque is delivered from 1,500 rpm, but they forget that maximum torque is only delivered at FULL throttle openings, and how often do we drive at full throttle?

More interesting will be how refined the 3.5 TT is, because the atmospheric 3.5 V6 was no match for the traditional atmospheric 3.0 V6's from many years ago, as far as NVH is concerned.
Likewise, my wife traded a 3IS250 for a 3.5IS200t, and I can tell you that the biggest difference is the loss in refinement around town.

The atmospheric 3.5 V6 idle poorly compared to the V8, because the V8 is genuinely smooth, while the big 3.5 V6 has secondary vibrations that the engine mounts struggle to disguise.
As the V6 engine capacity gets bigger and bigger, the reciprocating mass becomes larger, and those secondary vibrations become more and more prominent, with greater difficulty to disguise.

One benefit the V6 has over the V8 is less weight on the front axle, and consequently a much lighter nose, with sharper steering response.
However, my missus' new turbo four is just as nose heavy as her old atmos 2.5 V6, probably because of the extra weight of modern turbos to resist higher internal pressures to make sure the engine lasts, and the 200t definitely has massive amounts of firewall sound insulation to really dampen down the loudness...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-12-17 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 09:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The point is it will feel significantly more powerful at everyday throttle inputs than the old V8.
Old 01-12-17, 10:02 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Yes, the forthcoming 3.5 TT will feel much punchier around town than the traditional atmos V8, though the idle may be poor, and it won't feel so refined, especially at full throttle openings...
Old 01-12-17, 10:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Yes, the forthcoming 3.5 TT will feel much punchier around town than the traditional atmos V8, though the idle may be poor, and it won't feel so refined, especially at full throttle openings...
The refinement would be my concern. Maybe they will surprise us.
Old 01-12-17, 10:14 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

The refinement would be my concern. Maybe they will surprise us.
I hope so too Steve.
I'm worried they'll put that 3.5 TT into the 2019 5GS, and it'll still idle poorly like my 4GS, but I'm sure they'll use a smaller 3.0 TT in the 5GS; the smaller 3.0 V6 has a more reasonable idle, and revs beautifully.
Interestingly, my missus new 200t doesn't rev that well, but it idles better than both our 3.5 and even our 3.0 V6's too, and the 200t has been heavily insulated for loudness.
Old 01-12-17, 11:39 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

How is this interior? New and improved right very nice compared to the ls right?
Attached Thumbnails 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!-photo774.jpg  
Old 01-12-17, 11:59 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
How is this interior? New and improved right very nice compared to the ls right?
With that steering wheel, the car will automatically throw a check engine light and blow blue smoke and leak coolant.
Old 01-12-17, 12:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Nice interior.
Being very picky, but the complicated horizontal vent lines may age quickly.
But overall, a very nice interior.

Btw, it doesn't need the BMW steering wheel, nor BMW propeller at all.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!