LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-17, 05:58 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Nobody in particular, just speaking in general.

This always happens, in fact somebody bumped a thread about the 2010 refresh of the LS which was VERY minor and I was reading it today and laughing about the comments (HORRIBLE changes, I would never buy that over a 07-09!) lol. Most people wouldn't even notice a difference in those generations.

Lexus has gotten to the point where even if it's priced closer to the other cars in the segment it will sell.

As for the G90, I like the G90 a lot but it's never going to sell more than a few thousand units a year, they don't have the dealer network for one. A great option in the segment but the 5LS will handily outsell it.
Exactly. People really show their *** making such negative comments about a car they have never seen or driven. I for one have brand loyalty having driven LS cars for 17 years and would not criticize It till I drive it and see it in the flesh and truly don't like it. I don't think that's going to be the case though. I hope they bring it to the Denver auto show.
Old 01-20-17, 06:41 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Positivity, negativity and criticism comes with the auto industry. Don't we have our own opinions (ugly, to small or large, gas hog, unreliable, death trap, wouldn't be seen dead in that thing, etc.) about some vehicles in general even if we have never driven or put foot inside of them. I've never had a favorite brand because every few years I change brand and we have so many brands to choose from. I've owned Cadillac, Lincoln, Jaguar, Audi, BMW, MB and now LS 460 which is my favorite but I'll move own to some else on the buffet line of nice autos. The LS 460 sales have been extremely low for the last few years but the new LS may change that in a market that's already tough with competition. Just speaking in general.
Old 01-20-17, 08:02 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Positive and negative comments are rampant all over the internet. It doesn't matter the topic. You can talk sports, politics or fiddle stix. Some people gonna hate. As for my thoughts on the new LS, I still say the interior was designed with an older person in mind. My personal preference is a nice swooping console that continues all the way to the armrest. Otherwise, I'm sure it's going to be a great car.
Old 01-20-17, 08:22 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Positivity, negativity and criticism comes with the auto industry. Don't we have our own opinions (ugly, to small or large, gas hog, unreliable, death trap, wouldn't be seen dead in that thing, etc.) about some vehicles in general even if we have never driven or put foot inside of them. I've never had a favorite brand because every few years I change brand and we have so many brands to choose from. I've owned Cadillac, Lincoln, Jaguar, Audi, BMW, MB and now LS 460 which is my favorite but I'll move own to some else on the buffet line of nice autos. The LS 460 sales have been extremely low for the last few years but the new LS may change that in a market that's already tough with competition. Just speaking in general.
I couldn't have said this better myself-regarding the initial portion of the statement.

I personally think its human nature to formulate an opinion based off of what the eye see's.

I have a very close child hood friend who is a VP for an mobile ad agency.

Without getting into all of the specifics, one of his primary responsibilities is to meld data and the appearance of a product so that it is visually appealing on a mobile platform.

I recall reading quite recently that Lexus now desires to make cars with a "soul"; cars that entice and invigorate the senses, hence aesthetics and feel.

Opinions, feedback, theories...good, bad, positive, negative or indifferent is an innate trait of human nature. I think in many cases people could do a better job in stating opinions as opinions instead of speaking as if certain things are fact, or trying to sway someone into feeling that their opinion is wrong-there's resolve to be had there.

But overall I think this thread is great. I've enjoyed the myriad of comments about the car, here as well as other sources.

I still have my preconceived opinions about the car, and will likely formulate other and/or additional opinions about the car once I've seen it in the automotive flesh.
Old 01-20-17, 08:47 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

As for the G90, I like the G90 a lot but it's never going to sell more than a few thousand units a year, they don't have the dealer network for one. A great option in the segment but the 5LS will handily outsell it.
I don't know about that. There are lots of Genesis vehicles around here in Canada and they're just sold at the local Hyundai dealers. There's far more Hyundai dealers than Lexus dealers here.
Old 01-20-17, 09:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I don't know about that. There are lots of Genesis vehicles around here in Canada and they're just sold at the local Hyundai dealers. There's far more Hyundai dealers than Lexus dealers here.
But the G90 is not sold at every Hyundai dealer. The G80 is. Unless it's different in Canada than here.

Living in Washington DC I had to drive 35 miles just to test drive a G90, while there were probably 5 closer Hyundai dealers.
Old 01-23-17, 12:51 PM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

based on Lexus enthusiast "Within the five years to the end of 2021, Toyota plans to introduce 17 versions of nine engines, including the 2.5-liter engine announced today, 10 versions of four transmissions, including multi-geared automatic transmissions and a new kind of continuously variable transmission, and 10 versions of six hybrid systems". they have debuted just one this year the V6TT so lets see what happens the rest of the year its just January. this is a link https://lexusenthusiast.com/2016/12/...hybrid-system/
Old 01-24-17, 02:17 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 250 Likes on 181 Posts

Lexus has gotten to the point where even if it's priced closer to the other cars in the segment it will sell.
How do you figure that? Lexus has been losing ground to it's competitors for years now in the large luxury sedan market. I don't believe it will sell at anywhere close to the price of an S-Class.
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (01-24-17)
Old 01-24-17, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
How do you figure that? Lexus has been losing ground to it's competitors for years now in the large luxury sedan market. I don't believe it will sell at anywhere close to the price of an S-Class.
Lexus is still #3 in the segment as old as the LS is.

It would sell, would it sell in volume? No, but LS buyers are out there at those prices.
Old 01-25-17, 12:00 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Exactly. People really show their *** making such negative comments about a car they have never seen or driven. I for one have brand loyalty having driven LS cars for 17 years and would not criticize It till I drive it and see it in the flesh and truly don't like it. I don't think that's going to be the case though. I hope they bring it to the Denver auto show.
I would say that's sort of a blind loyalty , meaning you will just take what they spoon feed you and say thanks regardless of what it is....I see that on the Mercedes forums a lot.

I'm in the 5th stage now of this horrible ordeal..... (denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance ) and I'm trying to find the positives. The main one being the day when we start seeing shops modifying these cars to 600-700hp with larger turbos and upping the boost.

Aside from that the car being a larger wheel base is very appealing to me, the interior is fancy and updated and on paper its a bit faster and lighter, but we all wanted a V8TT instead of the V6, so its still a hard pill to swallow.
Old 01-25-17, 04:07 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 250 Likes on 181 Posts

Lexus is still #3 in the segment as old as the LS is.

It would sell, would it sell in volume? No, but LS buyers are out there at those prices.
I think that is because there is a cheaper short wheelbase model. They only sell 1000 of the more expensive long wheelbase models a year. If they car will only be offered in lwb format at a higher price, I don't see how it will survive on that volume. If they do have a shorter, cheaper model, it might have a chance. Not sure if that is going to happen or not. I've seen it reported that it will be lwb only and also reported that a swb will be offered too.
Old 01-25-17, 04:44 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's why I think pricing is important. The current LS is significantly less than the competition.

If they offer this at say $90k or near the competition's V8 price point with one wheel base and one V6 engine, I also think that new "coupe-like" appearance won't be enough to make a dent versus said competition.
Old 01-25-17, 05:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
I think that is because there is a cheaper short wheelbase model. They only sell 1000 of the more expensive long wheelbase models a year. If they car will only be offered in lwb format at a higher price, I don't see how it will survive on that volume. If they do have a shorter, cheaper model, it might have a chance. Not sure if that is going to happen or not. I've seen it reported that it will be lwb only and also reported that a swb will be offered too.
It will be LWB only.

I think you overestimate how price conscious people in this segment actually are. It's an all new car, it's thoroughly modern, really nice inside. I'm sure it will be great to drive, people will buy them. Lexus and particularly LS owners have a lot of brand and model loyalty.
Old 01-25-17, 05:54 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

As leasing seems to be the way all luxury cars are going these days, almost more important than MSRP is going to be what the lease pricing is going to end up being. I am also quite interested to see if any other engine variants come out. A hybrid version would seem to be a fair bet.
Old 01-25-17, 06:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's not a new phenomenon. My dad was leasing cars 30 years ago.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!